[Solved] Preserving hardware-id without installing Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Obelix, Aug 12, 2015.

1. anybastard

anybastard MDL Novice

May 9, 2007
    Hi Guys ,

ignore my request ...sorry

BR
    An1B

2. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    you guys say its all tied to hw id. which is weird. i used my genuine 8 install to go to 10 on july 28th. then last week. i got a whole new system. was able to reinstall my genuine 8 key without so much as a phone activation. then rolled up fine. even had issues with kernel panic i was trying to figure out so redid whole os again. same method. not once did it as me to call. or even say it was a different machine. full activated.

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It is tied to the HWID.
    You duplicated the w8 license already which is possible, but against the EULA. Usually works legally when a mainboard has to be replaced and the original isn't anymore...since the original license isn't invalidated, both can be upgraded to w10 separately.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. anybastard

anybastard MDL Novice

May 9, 2007
    I was here to clarify a my doubt .

This is the scenario:

- I have an OEM pc with original and legal W8.x
    - After w10 upgrade all works fine included OS activation

Now for different reasons I need to change MB ( same model ) but in this case my OS activation is dead because we have new MB and new HW ID

Question -> Is there a way to re-generate a new HW ID ( based on new MB ) without reinstall W8.x and perform a new upgrade ?

Thanks in advance

BR
    An1B.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Nope. As per definition an upgrade requires a previous activated and validated license from where one upgrades...the process requires a HWID which is upgradeable (must be on their server already and upgradeable).

Not sure what's M$es official way since they say upgrade is valid until end of lifetime of the device.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. anybastard

anybastard MDL Novice

May 9, 2007
    Hi Yen ,

thanks so much for your reply .

BR
    An1B

7. 10aout

10aout MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2015
    ... and if the device is seen by M$ as the motherboard, now died? :g:

Judging from past experience, I guess much speaking fu with M$'s representatives by phone will solve some issues, but it seems a case-by-case handling to me.

Also, hxxp://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/will-upgrading-motherboard-after-upgrading-to/a26e93c4-6886-4b44-99cf-7bf49ccba6ee is not official, but closer that our educated guesses (and it mades very valid points about the relationship with the original license, in my eyes.)

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Within the first year you still have 2 alternative ways with a new mainboard:

-Install and activate w7 and upgrade again to w10
    -Install your pervious windows version and phone activate it and upgrade from there (works also with 8.1 OEM_DM key)

9. bluealien

bluealien MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    If, like the OP, I upgraded to win10 and then instead of using another hard drive I reformatted and clean installed win8.1 and continued using win 8.1 way after the july 29,2016 deadline for the free upgrade.

Would it definitely activate when win 10 is finally installed back? Is there a time limit that the computer have to actually start using windows10? I'm concerned because, I volunteer for several community centers for the elderly and I upgraded a lot of computers to windows 10 already and due to some requesting to revert back to win 8.1. I rolled back a few already.

10. Slamtilt

Slamtilt MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2014
    #30 Slamtilt, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2015
  11. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009

ever heard about formating a text file, no?

12. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #32 Nucleus, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  13. Slamtilt

Slamtilt MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2014
    Sorry guys. Was sure that I had started a new topic. And HTML option seemed to be disabled.

14. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    #34 Tito, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    @Slamtilt

Sorry for the confusion. I take the liberty & have merged the thread as well as edited your post. As there are some discoveries regarding gatherosstate.exe are already discussed here, IMO its better to consolidate the discussion in one place.

:)

15. Proph

Proph MDL Junior Member

May 2, 2007
    I tried this GenuineTicket.xml trick. But it did not work. This is what I did...

1. Installed Windows 7 x64 Home Premium in a Virtualbox.
    2. Activated with Daz Loader with HP OEM options.
    3. Restarted computer.
    4. Checked to verify proper activation of this Windows 7 Premium.
    5. Copied the source\gatherosstate.exe to the desktop and created a GenuineTicket.xml file.
    6. Reinstalled computer with Windows 10 x64 Home without any product keys.
    7. Verified that the computer was not activated.
    8. Copied the GenuineTicket.xml file to C:\programdata\microsoft\windows\clipsvc\genuineticket\
    9. Restarted Computer.
    10. Checked activation. It said I needed to be connected to internet to activate. (I was already connected).
    11. I clicked the activate button. An error shows saying that my product key has been blocked.

I'll try again and see if I get any different results with maybe a different OEM set in Daz Windows Loader.

16. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    A long time ago I had a OEM, changed motherboard, and said I had a virus, they gave me the code to activate. To me this seems more like windows generates a number from itself which MS has a list of and when phoned in they give you a act number or it could have been a simple HWID number, but no way it's the same with 10.

With windows 10, I doubt that anywhere we can see, that there is a HWID number that we could copy, replace, and trick the activation from the server.

It would take them 5 mins, to have win 10 pickup certain HWID's, place them in a specific order, change them using a algorithm and encrypt them.

This is why no one can reproduce what they use and trick the server. If this wasn't the way, it would have taken people an hour to figure this all out and trick the server.

17. sezz

sezz MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2009
    Couldn't test it in VirtualBox or VMware, because all my virtual machines seem to automatically activate if the host is already activated, so I tried this on "old" hardware.

Running gatherosstate.exe on a clean/unactivated Windows 10 installation doesn't do anything (as expected), so I installed Windows 7 Pro, activated it (BIOS/SLIC), created the GenuineTicket.xml file and installed Windows 10 Pro afterwards (clean install of course).

After installing I copied GenuineTicket.xml to "%AllUsersProfile%\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket" and restarted the Client Licensing Service (ClipCVS). Then I was able to active Windows 10 with the usual "slmgr -ato" (without rebooting first).

Works great and saves some time when installing Windows 10 on new hardware.

18. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    So, are you actually saying that you can pass around the GT and everyone can activate.

I don't see where you got the GT from a different hardware config, looks like you added the GT to the same as the 7 install.

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

You have to be OFFLINE while installing w10 (with the internet connection disabled.). Then copy the ticket to it and reboot. THEN go online. (Hopefully your (virtual) HWID hasn't been blocked before for some reason.)
    6. Reinstalled computer with Windows 10 x64 Home without any product keys. You mean on the same VM without any changes?

20. Spawn182

Spawn182 MDL Novice

Jun 15, 2008
    Had to change my mainboard and lost the W10 activation. Restored W8.1 to the W10 partition (had to activate by phone cause of HW change), ran gatherosstate.exe to get the GenuineTicket.xml. Restored W10, copied XML to folder, restarted ClipCVS - XML gets deleted by starting the service, entered "slmgr -ato" Windows 10 activated :)

Thanks for this much faster procedure.