[SOLVED] Question regarding Win10 LTSB and Lenovo Laptop Clean Install

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ds1991, Sep 24, 2018.

1. ds1991

ds1991 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2017
    I have been running Win10 Enterprise LTSB on my DT since 2017 and a friend of mine has asked me to look at his Lenovo laptop as it is not booting properly etc,
    I recommended putting Win10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB on it as I have it here on a USB stick, obviously it's not 'legit' but it works fine and is 'activated', but I am assuming that's because this is on a DT I built myself, not an OEM DT or Laptop,
    My question being, will I be able to install it on his Lenovo or will the embedded OEM in the BIOS mean it will not activate even though it's a 'patched' copy of Enterprise?

I have no idea which model Lenovo it is as he is not dropping it off till tomorrow, but it is a couple of years old at least

I want to save myself the headache of installing it all only for it to not activate.

Thanks to anyone who can answer :)

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    LTSB will install fine on it. KMS_VL_ALL by @abbodi1406 will activate it.

3. ds1991

ds1991 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2017
    #3 ds1991, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    (OP)
    Thanks for your reply mate :) My copy of 10 2016 LTSB is already pre-activated (it's the generation2 copy)
    Will I still need the KMS_VL_ALL activator?

EDITED to Add:

My copy of LTSB already uses the local object hook patch, it renews every 7 days :)
    But it's good to know there is a newer version should it fail, thanks again Enthousiast for your help and very quick reply!

4. ds1991

ds1991 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2017
    UPDATED

The laptop is a Lenovo Yoga 510 14ISK, when I first got it had to put it in to legacy mode to get the Wino 10 Ent iso to boot, got into windows after a blue screen at account creation page, then ended up have loads of blue screens when trying to install drivers and updates.
    Was not sure if the LTSB build I have is too old?
    Anyway after lots of faffing about I learned he had factory reset the system to Lenovo blotware/win 10 home and he had had a few blue-screens and a message his gmail was hacked,
    Turns out he had never heard of meltdown or spectre lol
    Only was to flash the bios on lenovo is with a dumb Win OS program, that worked ok, patched the ME firmware (fine) but then still kept getting random crashes errors after install (this was in legacy and or uefi mode (legacy mode seemed the most successful,
    Anyway when I could get in to windows I noticed terrible 2% cpu use and ~1GB (of 16) being used on windows update, so fired up resource monitor and could see hard faults on the memory, very few but enough to notice over a long time
    So metested it and it failed straight away
    Don't you just hate when you agree to fix someone's computer :p

So in conclusion am I right to think Win 10 Ent 2016 ltsb will install fine once he gets a new stick ?
    I have never owned a laptop with an embedded key

5. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    I have the Same laptop Yoga 510 and I use Windows 10 LTSB with no need for KMS tools, I use different way to do activated without trouble or hassle

6. ds1991

ds1991 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2017
    It turned out to be faulty memory - doh!

Anyway, all done for him now, although he has gone from his 16GB upgrade back to the 4 it shipped with.

Thanks for all the replies!