[SOLVED] Windows Update keeps starting, despite being disabled?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by scaramonga, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    I have found inner peace knowing I haven't payed a single cent for this OS and never will.

May god help us all when LTSC2019 is released.

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    #42 TairikuOkami, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Indeed, there are tons of ways to do it, but most people are looking for a straight solution, like disable WU service and expect Windows to obey.
    Since 1709 MS has introduced a new task PerformRemediation, which recovers WU functions. Not to mention, MS prevented disabling WU tasks.
    My WU service never starts, because I have disabled services, which it depends on, but there are simpler ways, like disabling auto-checking for updates.

Code:
    takeown /f "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe" /a
    icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe" /inheritance:r /remove "Administrators" "Authenticated Users" "Users" "System"

3. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    I WHDownloader all the current up dates last week and MSMG slipped them into RS1 with the typical MSG removal. Installed in a vm bld 14393.1884 activated with local server. Set up local group policies, firewall etc. as usual and so far this local service has remained disable (possibly the update you mention does not show up in the Nov. Cum Update or removal after slipping had positive outcome). I have not experienced what is mentioned here to date? Another user or some installed software playing games with you? Will keep testing and will report if anything changes.

If MS believes we will bow to them messing with production machines when they feel like it they are mistaken and windows 10 newer versions would die. Dam OS is no better than graphics card drivers anymore ........... bugs and all. Perfectly happy with LTSB and reinstall once a year. Bottom line is 95 and 7 lasted most a long time and if LTSB 2016 is the end of upgrades for some time so be it. It is just a background process to run what really matters, which an't anything from M$. Does M$ have a finite element program at the apps store :roflmao:.

Stay frosty guys and the best of the season to all.

Regards

4. wyatt23

wyatt23 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2017
    If MS lockdown OS to specific hardware then some clever so and so will find a work around. Worry about it when you have to, in the mean time, get on with using ltsb2016 for your chosen stuff :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Not if I fix it.

I will when an agreed on fix is found for this problem. Incorporating the Update Disabler sounds good, but there's one report of updates happening anyway even with the disabler enabled. All the data is not in yet. Keep those reports coming.

6. tfwmdl

tfwmdl MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2010
    I notice if I deleted the triggers on the Windows Update service, they get re-created every time the service is started in RS3. Don't remember previous versions of W10 doing this.

7. scaramonga

scaramonga MDL Senior Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Well, been 2 days now, and so far so good :) Using WUB with the 'protect service settings' option. Have also applied the above take ownership of the UsoClient, and deleted the triggers, but as noted above, they just get recreated at next start, although the 'scheduled scan' has not run, as it shows last run time as 1999, lol! No sneaky restarts of update service thus far though ;)

8. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
  9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Really? So it seems it doesn't intercepts the system call anymore?
    Damn! Perhaps @Painter7 is working on a fix now.

10. scaramonga

Oct 27, 2012
    Hows that 'inner peace' now? :rolleyes:

11. tfwmdl

tfwmdl MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2010
    Also noticed that if one disables the Group Policy service, then the Windows Update service doesn't start on each reboot, but you lose the group policies being applied. So something in the Group Policies must be re-enabling the WU service:g:

12. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Much better than yours, you can count on that.
    Why? Because I don't use Windows 10, yet.
    Boom!!!!:D

13. wyatt23

wyatt23 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    I guess things have cooled off already, but keep the tone nice in here, guys :)

@linux Shop
    I'd suggest downloading a verified ISO and installing it via USB stick. All for free if you've already got a computer and USB stick ;)

15. wyatt23

wyatt23 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Got limted usage, cheaper to buy a cd/dvd from them :)

16. scaramonga

Oct 27, 2012
    #56 scaramonga, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    (OP)
    Well, no one really uses Windows 10, do they? It uses them! :D

Boom 'da' bong !!!!! :p

17. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Now this is totally true, I agree with you :p

18. Rickta

Rickta MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2017
    Well, no one really uses Windows 10, do they? It uses them!
    as gomma pile said surprise surprise surprise really people.:)

Mr X Much respect to you brother you provided solution in post #2
    I to am interested in what Painter7 comes up with next i suspect
    he will get over @wtarkan and his teams work on WUB as his as failed
    and WUB still works humble pie mite be sour but he is not the only one
    lining up for their piece of humble pie.

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-update-blocker-v1-0.72325/#post-1392266

To all the haters and their lapdogs who wine about MS its simple nothing is free
    in this life i fined it hilarious people believe they own somthing they got for free
    so ring Bill get a refund and move to Mac or simular its not hard its easy to complain
    when you think your hard done by break out the tissues what a joke people.:)

This thread has been solved thanks to to Mr X and The Beatles like it or not is what it is
    LMAO keep up with free entertainment it wont stop i no and yep im part of it sew me LOL

19. Rickta

Rickta MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2017
    Zero respect Admin
    Boom 'da' bong !!!!! What a joke serious lost all respect here !!!!!
    Do your job Admin and stand by your own rules to little to late I guess things have cooled off already {LMAO i think not}
    free pass given zero feed back then insult and be little respected Guru members what a joke.Clearly the dusche bag owner
    of this thread is dating your brother Principles another joke not funny sleep well admin i will is what is.

20. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Completely off topic and asking for an one way ticket out of here just my 2 cents