Sony Vaio VGN-AR61E Phoenix BIOS (R2080J8) - SLiC 2.0

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by itsmemario1, Apr 9, 2014.

1. ArcticFreeze

ArcticFreeze MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2014
    Hello Yen,

I have fixed the link in post #48 (includes a better BIOS mod with NO replaced menus, but 2 added parent menus as well as some other individual options). The link wasn't working, because I updated the archive. This is a real BIOS mod, not just a menu replacement. The archive contains full documentation of the mod and any required or related files.

I used your method of "spacing" the text string in the TEMPLAT module to complete the mod. Thank-you for that information.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #62 Yen, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    #63 itsmemario1, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    (OP)
    Ahoy !

I wasnt much online lately, but I just downloaded your mod Yen and will try it later this day.

Then Im aiming for Arctics mod, as it would be nice to keep the Security menu. ;)

p.s.
    I wonder, if I added new menus, what will happen if I set the BIOS to load defaults ?
    Will it just ignore the new menus and its settings on a "Load Defaults" ?

p.s. p.s.
    If Im not answering within the next days, Im probably trying various kinds of crisis recovery methods... :p

Regards,
    Mario

4. ArcticFreeze

ArcticFreeze MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2014
    #66 ArcticFreeze, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    Hello Mario,

I am glad that Yen's image worked! :)

I haven't been able to get online much in the past few days as a result of an English final and a few other assignments. I will resume BIOS modding activities 2 days from now when the school year is officially over. Until then, I will check PM's, but I cannot release mods or find info. I will have a lot of time during the ~3 month summer break to investigate the BIOS and I do look forward to exploring it even further. There is no such thing as "unneeded hours of work" when it comes to learning more about BIOS modding. :biggrin: Every difficulty or question that you have serves as a learning experience to me.

For some reason, the "MCH Workarounds" and "ICH Workarounds" menus have colons in their names. I have no clue as to why they do, but it is listed in the STRINGS module, so it is supposed to be like that...

5. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    #67 itsmemario1, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    (OP)
    Arctic ! :)
    Sorry for another long delay !

I flashed your ROM from #48 now :

!kb1.jpg

!kb2.jpg

For some reason I cant select the "MCH Workaround menu:". It will just jump from "Intel" to the "Security" menu when pressing right key.

What could probably cause that ?

Advanced>Frequency Ratio (CPU Multiplier) is also simply not there/visible.

And what about trying the various Crisis Recovery methods now, using Yens bios / original safe bios ?
    Could be the last time trying it, beeing on the safe side. :)

6. ArcticFreeze

ArcticFreeze MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2014
    Hello Mario,

Thank you for the update and pictures! I am glad that it worked!!! This is my first real BIOS mod! :) :) :)

I have no idea why it is skipping over the MCH menu, but I will look into it.

I think that the "frequency ratio" option is invisible due to a function that hides it if it is inapplicable to your PC (or the manufacturer does not want it there for whatever reason). I am starting to learn assembly language and I know that there are 6 function calls (If my memory serves me correct) for this option's string in TEMPLAT00.ROM. I know that the one that hides it might be a call/something else to 0x13 (this could also be another function, I will have to inspect the code again). I will look into it and post my results later on.

I will prepare the CRISIS files for you sometime in the near future. You will have to read the instructions and apply those files though as it is a VERY finicky program. For the CRISIS disc, I highly recommend using the unmodified original BIOS image that you provided to me just to be on the safe side (actually, if you can rebrick your bricked BIOS using CRISIS, you can unbrick it using the same procedure...).

7. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
  8. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    #72 itsmemario1, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    (OP)
    Problem is, my battery will not be recognized by windows, as all cells have been removed. There is no electric contact. Its just there for cosmetic reasons.

I also had that crisis link you provided in my book marks. Thank god it only says "remove the battery". So I wont need it. :)

In case of an power outage, CRISIS should work again when the power returns. We will see...

Ill try the CRISIS methods next weekend I think. (Im aware I shouldnt use the hp bios.wph, but thanks for the reminder. Just in case. ;D)

Looking forward to any future work of you. :)

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Some things that came into my mind when reading the updates. :)
    Colons are never found at menu tabs, but at menu 'lines'. Could it be that this particular menu is supposed to be a 'line' entry? Would it be possible to arrange it as a line-menu?

Crisis: It also depends on the phlash16 version which is provided at the cisis disk.
    I can remind one case..I provided to a member my entire collection of different phlash16 versions. He's tried them one by one and only one special version worked for crisis...this fact can complicate the things as mentioned already by Steven....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. ArcticFreeze

ArcticFreeze MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2014
    Hello yen,

I could try to place them under another menu.

Although the menu that I place them under isn't too important, I would place it under the "Workarounds Control Sub-Menu," a sub-menu that usually goes under the Advanced Menu for BIOS's without Intel Menus. It contains the contents of the Intel Menu.

I do not know why I keep on seeing the "Workarounds Control Sub-Menu" appearing in BIOS's with the Intel Menu. Since the sub-menu is unused and redundant, I could try placing the "MCH Workarounds:" and "ICH Workarounds:" menus under the "Workaround Control Sub-Menu" under the Intel Menu. This would make the most sense.

Please keep in mind that my description of the "Workarounds Control Sub-Menu" comes from what I have seen in a few modded BIOS versions. I am still learning more about it.

11. ArcticFreeze

ArcticFreeze MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2014
    #75 ArcticFreeze, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    Hello Yen,

I am currently investigating your suggestion. I will post my findings as I find them.

Also, if it is not too much trouble, could I get a copy of your entire collection of phlash16 versions? This would help Mario and I in our quest to see if CRISIS can work on the Sony Vaio machines.

~Steven

12. ArcticFreeze

ArcticFreeze MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2014
    "MCH Workarounds:" Menu updates

Hello Yen,

I have tried your suggestion. Here is a picture of the result: MCH Workarounds under Intel Menu.png (Image from PBE emulator)

The name of the menu appears, but it cannot be entered. In the TEMPLAT module area of PBE, you can see the normal options that are supposed to appear under the menu, but it cannot be seen otherwise. Here is the result: MCH Workarounds in TEMPLAT setup module window of PBE.png (screenshot, focus on the right column of PBE)

Here is what the "MCH Workarounds:" menu currently looks like as a parent menu: Normal MCH Workarounds menu.png

As of right now, I am not sure why it has a colon. I do know that it properly functions only as a parent menu. If you have any more ideas, they are greatly appreciated.

I am also unsure as to why the menu doesn't allow itself to be selected in Mario's actual BIOS menu. It functions properly in PBE. Again, this is probably due to a function call, which I will investigate. PBE usually ignores these function calls.

13. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    #78 itsmemario1, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    (OP)
    Heya,

I would be thankfull for recieving your phlash16 collection as well Yen, as the next step will be testing CRISIS Recovery. Enough test-flashing now. ;)

For now I have flashed Yens test Bios again.

p.s.
    Lets say I would like to chance the word phoenix into fooonix ;D...via hexediting the bios.wph.
    Not leaving/adding any spaces, not changing size etc. just changing phoenix into fooonix...should'nt that be as "harmelss" as any other editing ?
    Or would that be considered as an epic fail already ? ;)

14. ArcticFreeze

ArcticFreeze MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2014
    Hello Mario,

If you were to modify the "phoenix" into "fooonix," I don't think that it would be a problem, given two conditions:

1.) You modify this in the "STRINGS00.ROM" module.

2.) The file is still able to recompress as the same size (otherwise, it would require spaces).

I have never modified the STRINGS00.ROM module before. I don't see any reason why it would be dangerous (it is just text, not code), but I would ask Yen first as he has probably done this before.

~Steven

15. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    You are probably right. So, for editing STRINGS00.ROM I should use Andys tool instead of a hexeditor ? Or how would recompressing it work in another way ?