Sony Vaio VGN-NR21E/S SLIC 2.1 ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by timebandit, Jul 22, 2009.

1. timebandit

timebandit MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    #1 timebandit, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
    So i have the above mentioned laptop. A quick look with Everest told me it has SLIC (i presume 2.0 since it come w/ Vista Home Premium preinstalled). Another thing everest told me was that the bios was Phoenix version R1101J9 and that the mobo name is Sony VGN-NR21E_S.
    Now the bad parts. I know from vista bios mod req that u need besides all the info a download link for bios, problem is thou i've googled teh interwebz cant find bios download.
    Is there anyway to "upgrade" from SLIC 2.0 to SLIC 2.1 ? if so please tell me what i have to do
    Sorry if it was talked before about this ( i for one didnt find it)
    Sorry if i posted in the wrong section please do not delete my post
    Thx in advance

any other info you may need ill gladly give it to you

p.s. since i cant find bios download link can i dump it to file with a help of some smart program ? if yes please tell what program :D

2. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    There is a program called WINPHLASH. But I'm not sure it'll actually work.
    You have to use another BIOS file before you can backup your own. The problem is that the resulting backup file always has the same size as the original BIOS file. I've tried with serveral different BIOS files.
    I guess Yen does know more.
    I've got a Sony Vaio AR and the same problem. btw I'd love a BIOS with enabled hardware virtualization.

3. timebandit

Jul 16, 2009
    well thx for info but i rather wait to hear more options since i dont wanna brick the laptop :)
    so if the bios cant be dump (or so i understand from dummekuehe's reply), i cant find a download link(maybe im looking in the wrong place ill keep digging) ..what are my other options ? wait for a 7 loader? afaik a loader is not 100% since it can be blocked

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    To dump the bios is no problem at all. At Phoenix bios the problem is that you need platform data to flash it. The platform data is usually appended behind the bios.rom

bios.rom+platform data = bios.wph.

Bios.rom you may dump, but the bios.wph is what you need an is provided from your OEM's bios update......

Only way WoW7 bootloader. One of its great routines patches an existing SLIC.......

WoW7 is not finished yet......WoW6 is latest version, try it and if it is replacing your original sony SLIC with HPQ SLIC2.0 it'll work with HPQ2.1 as well (=WOW7, to be realised.....)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. timebandit

Jul 16, 2009
    #5 timebandit, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
    (OP)
    thanks Yen. is it too much if i ask you for a download link of WoW6 ? if i google it ill get results to World of Warcraft

Again thanks for the information

Later: found it here on MDL :)

6. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    #6 HSChronic, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  7. timebandit

Jul 16, 2009
    I did installed WoW6 and after reboot ive read slic table in RW-Everything .. still says sony vaio

8. timebandit

Jul 16, 2009
    sorry for double post. anyway that piece of sh** laptop haz slic on it. but i dont know if its slic 2.0 or 2.1. how can i find out what version it is?

i dont wanna use loaders i wanna have 2.1 slic on it

can someone help me?