Special slic 2.1 bios mod request for vintage mainboard DFI K6XV3+/66

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by K64w7, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Too, bad. I'm sorry. Maybe I did to much steps in one mod.
    Well, I don't know why it bricked. And that is bad.
    I have to think about. But I don't give up yet. I guess to try first to alter the acpi tables and then to mod the mainbios would be better to see what's the problem.
    More work to do. If you want to continue, I'm there.:)
    Have a good night.
    See you .

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. K64w7

K64w7 MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    #23 K64w7, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
    (OP)
    ready again

Good afternoon Yen,

1. Hotflash made, but reportet errors with checksums.
    2. Changed chips; DFI booted and fell into checksum error, but allowed me to boot from floppy disk; flash with awdflash
    3. Now recovered:)

Now I will flash acpionly.bin
    ------------------
    Result is not good.
    By starting board, "boot"-block-bios gives error message about an checksum error and wants to have boot disk, where I could flash original bios again.

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    So the bios doesn't even allow to modify the acpitables. So the further modding would be useless. Well, I guess we are stuck now.:(
    Another bios version doesn't work?

At the moment I have got no further idea.
    It was fun anyway to try. I'll think about it, but I guess I have to remain as bios killer in the truest sense of the word. :D
    Edit: I think about.There is one more idea.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Since you have noticed about checksums. I can try to correct. Will go out now. If I can make a new mod for a new try I'll reply with it here.
    Have a nice Sunday.

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  7. K64w7

K64w7 MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    #27 K64w7, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
    (OP)
    Congratulation,
    ACPIONLY2.BIN works!

# Launch Everest, expand the Motherboard section, then select ACPI. On the right pane, select RSDT, then determine the value of Memory Address.
    # Key in the memory address found from Everest in the first Physical Address (Hex) field: 2FFF3000
    Size (bytes in Hex) set to (2800 or above).
    (I see the Asus notebook, seems that I can flash...; of course no SLIC found - not yet;))

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    This is great! Now we are in again! This sum was never needed to be corrected at my previous mods....:confused: This was an important step.

Anyway step2:
    Relocate and extend the ACPITable index string at mainbiosmodule to map SLIC. I'll make it when I'm back home.
    Then we will be there where it bricked first....if it flashes a second time.....I'm sure we can activate then.
    To search for SLIC then...will provide at evening.;)

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  10. K64w7

K64w7 MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    #30 K64w7, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
    (OP)
    Congratulations,
    premod3.bin works!

HW Direct Memory Dump: 2FFF4FC0
    You are on the right way!

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Great! :)
    I'm making the final mod now.....

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It could be that it doesn't activate. Then please search again for SLIC and tell me the changed address of it. I would have to correct again.
    It could be the SLIC address has increased +4 don't know yet.

14. K64w7

K64w7 MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    #34 K64w7, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
    (OP)
    Final.bin is successfully

DEAR YEN,

I flashed FINAL.bin
    1st I checked with SLIC ToolKit V3.0
    - found SLICv at 2FFF4FC0
    Advanced
    - SLIC Diagnosis / Digital Signature OK
    SLP1.0 ;)
    ACPI
    _ASUS_Notebook found at 2FFF3000
    -SLIC Dump OK !

Then install c - done!
    Then enter k - done!

Activated

Thank you very very much ! I liked it , flashing , feel courious , bricking and hotflashing too , looking into the Hex ! I have learned somethings !
    But the transition to a packed Bios (with checksums) is still a black box ...

"TAKE YOUR NAME WITH PRIDE"

BIOS KILLER

Best regards

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    :)
    I'm happy. This experience was great. Thank you for your patience!
    Finally never give up. Your bios is an old AWARD 4.51PG with additional checksums. And sorry for one brick I have caused. If you should change the amount of installed RAM you may flash the premod3 before and tell me new SLIC address. Then I can fit it again. Premod3 is RAM independent, whereas final isn't.

Have a nice time. Glad all is working now.:)