SPI programming on Toshiba L500

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by avati, Apr 26, 2012.

1. avati

avati MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2010
    The answer is easy on that ... If you checked the specifications of the model, in the link i gave you, the laptop has NO nvidia or ati card. Its intel based graphics.
    I checked the graphic chip and is fine, unfortunately it is not that the problematic part. By the way never noticed a laptop from my experience that needed reflow on the intels graphics chip.

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    ok correct.. every time i went to toshiba europe specs of the l500-1ek it would sit with no document. so i didnt know it wasnt nvidia.

u did find the reset pads? tried 1 ram at a time ?

3. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #43 redroad, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

I mean really man do you think you will receive more or less help with a post like that?
    I get that your frustrated but don't let that undermine your better judgement.

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    avati is right. hardly ever u have to reflow intel vid.

what chip model is the bios ?
    im going to ask my local laptop expert if he knows other issues about L500 no post.
    i still think is bios too.

i have a P205 that got beatup by special users and no post now.. touchpad is pressed into casing. yeah it was beat hard.. not even gona bother with it.
    core duo oldie.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes, of course. I will check it when I am at home again.
    Almost over 4MByte???? :eek:
    That sounds like a 4096 KByte ROM, though.
    And this is provided for the same series??? Well I'll reply asap.:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    avati: what is bios chip model . so we know its size.. also if the matched part model 1EK laptop shows a bios file. . why use one for different model laptop?
    Pro not plain L500 is what that 2011 bios is for.

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. avati

avati MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2010
    #48 avati, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
    (OP)
    Tested...
    With EFI no reaction at all . I press power button and no leds are lit. So the correct is the BIOS ... the "Bios.rom" file you send me YEN.
    From my experience the laptop has recovered from the bad flash situation, but something else holds it from booting.
    I can't find any chips that need reflow, nor bad voltage regulators, nor capacitors, nor fuses. I dont have so much free time to test every part on the motherboard ... so i give up.

Thanks anyway guys and most of all, thank you Yen. With your instructions from other posts i succeed to make a good working bios, same as your file Bios.rom.

From this case i learned one thing. That phoenix bioses (that have the bios.rom included in the zip file) most of the time, the spi flashable rom, is that:
    Length of blocks to select from start = size of spi bios chip...
    So on my case was 2MB size bios chip, that means 200000h length of blocks to select from the start of the original bios file and copy paste on a new file that will be the flashable bios. All that with a Hexeditor like " HxD". Never forget to dump after programming your chip to compare the 2 files, if they are identical.
    If the size is 1MB, you have to select a 100000h length of blocks from the start of the file ... and so goes on...

Am i right???

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You're welcome and yes you are completely right. At every other cases SPI flashing worked that way. But as you have told already, there must be another issue preventing from booting.
    1 MByte is exactly 100000h bytes, 4 are 400000h and a half 512 KByte are 80000h.