The MDL Times - Science and Tech. News on MDL

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by kldpdas, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Guess Who! :laie:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    haha good find MJ, where are CHEF-KOCK :g:what! :rofl:

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I think it's not 'our' CHEF-KOCH, lol...he should be still on his world trip refraining from internet use (at least he told us so)

5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep Yen I also have doubt if is our CHEF-KOCH lol;):D

6. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Yen: Probably not, but a hilarious coincidence. :)

7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep I think same thing lol:D

8. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    It's him the wording matches his mannerisms, that person is not a native english speaker.
    I feel betrayed by Koochy, how could he abandon us like this :ak:, not even giving us an update on his goat encounters going up the mountain, if there was any mountain to begin with ! :eek:

9. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    https://gist.github.com/CHEF-KOCH active one day ago eh

10. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :ak: yes been posting for months and not even a "hi I survived mountain goat rape and am ok" on MDL

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  12. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
  13. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  14. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    New Experiment Reveals Secret Behind 200,000-Year-Old Neanderthal Glue

Over a hundred thousand years ago, Neanderthals used tar to bind objects together, yet scientists have struggled to understand how these ancient humans, with their limited knowledge and resources, were able to produce this sticky substance. A new experiment reveals the likely technique used by Neanderthals, and how they converted tree bark into an ancient form of glue... More

15. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    These tiny, light-activated nanomachines can kill cancer cells within minutes

Scientists have developed tiny, light-activated nanomachines that can drill into cancer cells and kill them within minutes.
    Last year’s Nobel Prize in Chemistry was awarded to three scientists who discovered how to build these nanomachines out of a chain of atoms. For a study published in the journalNature, scientists built several of these nanomachines. When activated by light, the nanomachines targeted specific cells and broke through the membrane, rapidly killing them... more

16. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Triple Threat: New Pneumonia Is Drug-Resistant, Deadly And Contagious

In the past few years, there have been so many "superbugs" appearing in hospitals around the world that we here at Goats and Soda haven't had the time or resources to report on all of them.

But a new type of pneumonia emerging in China seems so important that we dropped what we were doing to write about it.

Doctors in Hangzhou in southeastern China have detected a a type of pneumonia that is both highly drug-resistant and very deadly. It also spreads easily.

The bacterium — a type of Klebsiella pneumoniae — killed five people in an intensive care unit in Hangzhou in 2016, researchers reported Tuesday in the journal Lancet Infectious Diseases... more

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Take care of yourselves, get proper water filters:

Plastic fibres found in tap water around the world, study reveals
    Exclusive: Tests show billions of people globally are drinking water contaminated by plastic particles, with 83% of samples found to be polluted

[​IMG]

The average number of fibres found in each 500ml sample ranged from 4.8 in the US to 1.9 in Europe. Photograph: Michael Heim/Alamy

Wednesday 6 September 2017 00.01 BST Last modified on Wednesday 6 September 2017 01.00 BST

Microplastic contamination has been found in tap water in countries around the world, leading to calls from scientists for urgent research on the implications for health.

Scores of tap water samples from more than a dozen nations were analysed by scientists for an investigation by Orb Media, who shared the findings with the Guardian. Overall, 83% of the samples were contaminated with plastic fibres.

The US had the highest contamination rate, at 94%, with plastic fibres found in tap water sampled at sites including Congress buildings, the US Environmental Protection Agency’s headquarters, and Trump Tower in New York. Lebanon and India had the next highest rates.

European nations including the UK, Germany and France had the lowest contamination rate, but this was still 72%. The average number of fibres found in each 500ml sample ranged from 4.8 in the US to 1.9 in Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...erm=242454&subid=20906735&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

18. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @gorski: And now with the hurricanes that are hitting the US, the water quality is going to be much worse.

Thusly why I've been saying how important it is to get a good water filter.

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #580 Yen, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Most contaminates in the lab I can notice are fibers (fluff) in water even though I do not specially search for them and use purified water....I often wonder where they come from. But I guess from the air and abrasion (also from plastic pipes)
    Consider what all is made of plastics nowadays....

The potential of probable harm is not for sure/unknown yet..we do not know what 'they' might cause.....they can adsorb other toxic compounds yes but compared to their mass and surface not very much....
    Also it's not clear what nano particles might do.....another thing are softener which get into water as solution and can have effects on hormones....