Tools which protect our privacy. Post your tools / ways you are using and opinions.

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Yen, Jul 23, 2013.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Process Hacker will indeed show in "Network" any connections that run below the user's radar.

What we cannot know is, if some of them have not actually been put there by Process Hacker.

Trustworthy free software is wondreous thing.... :eek:

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014

great point....and by the way all clubs are run by criminals and very shady characters;)

3. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Many websites will check you to verify you are a human when we use tor. If we enable javascript to verify we are humans, javascript may steal our privacy

4. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Tor browser provide the feature 'new identity' and 'new tor circuit for this site'.
    What situations to use the feature?

5. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Look at 'privacy and security settings' in tor browser. Are there any people use high security level?

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You might disable it when being past verification...if human verification is required or not also depends on the Tor IP address (exit-node)...for instance sometimes a particular site asks for verification and sometimes not.
    Like:"Click on all images with a river"...

It's useful when you want to apply an additional measure to interrupt tracking. For instance you browse to site a and then you browse to site b and you absolutely don't want a relation....so you demand a new identity before switching to site b

I use default. I mainly use tor to get a random IP address...not to 'share' sensitive data...and if yes I use PGP additionally to encrypt.

I use tor to browse 'normal/common' web sites...no suspicious or bogus sites.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    When we visit some Chinese websits, 百度云加速 will check you to verify you are a human. 百度云加速 seems like a clone or alternative to cloudflare.

8. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    We should use virtual machine to prevent the malware and unwanted software. They will steal tor browser privacy. Such as Qihoo 360
    I try to use Virtualbox NAT. Is the NAT enough secure/safe?

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/778585040976502784

Edward Snowden@Snowden Sep 21

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/21/12994362/allo-privacy-message-logs-google

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    What do you mean by NAT - Network Address Translation? AFAIK any router uses it, to connect to a modem directly is not recommended either way. Your local network/device(s) should be behind a router and no unneeded ports should be forwarded.

Security means always a healthy balance to usability. There is no absolute security.
    You also can get malware installed on VM and each time you boot the VM it also runs.

If you are afraid of that, you can always live boot an OS without installation of it, which also brings disadvantages (less usability/static OS.) But you always boot the same all the time unaltered at each session.
    And if you should get malware it'll vanish at shut down...

11. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Some people says JavaScript maybe see your IP address and geographical position.

How well can you do it? I think that's difficult to do. Could you make a demo?

12. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    #212 mdlgaofei, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Tor browser uses three nodes to access the Internet. Tor browser can show the used nodes.

Do you look at the used nodes after Tor accesses a website?

13. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Some webpages say the new anonymity networks Riffle , hornet , privategritty and others.

Do you know some news about the anonymity networks?

14. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Perhaps, there are some backdoor in win10.
    And there are some softwares online . Such as donotspy

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #215 gorski, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  16. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    #216 mdlgaofei, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Some people say China has cracked Tor. Tor can't hide your IP addresses , if you are in China.
    How about I2P?

17. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @gorski: Finally! Americans are starting to wake up and realize what we've lost.
    Now, the long road back to freedom and civil liberties.

@mdlgaofei: Nothing is safe. No form of communication is safe.

Never think that you are safe.

没有什么是安全的

I hope I said that correctly.

18. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Could you say can I2P replace Tor? What to do next?

19. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  20. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

but did you ever truly have it in the 1st place