Tools which protect our privacy. Post your tools / ways you are using and opinions.

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Yen, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @MS_User: It seems to be hit or miss.

I was reading an article about ATT blocking 4chan because of DdOS attacks. Also, they've blocked a port that's very important for BitCoin to operate.
    But that seems to be hit or miss. Some people can get in to 4chan, some can't.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    is truly sad whats happening in our nation as the years go by we have less and less freedoms....the government is violating all our rights in the excuse of security...our constitution is basically a rag on the wall now:mad:

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    To complain doesn't help....actions do. :)

No info in your log?
    Strange is..... when I search for AT&T and Tor issues you don't find anything.
    Have your tried a manual setup and hit yes:"Does your Internet Service Provider (ISP) block or otherwise censor connections to the Tor Network?"
    Try firstly the provided bridges.

There are more public bridges. https://bridges.torproject.org/bridges.

TBH, I'd call the ISP and ask them. If they really are blocking it I would resign and go to another one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I have AT&T and can get 4chan. Only in the populated areas in larger cities in the U.S. can you get an ISP choice. Most areas and especially in the rural farm areas you do not get a choice. You can only get what's provided. I live very close to a city and can get either Comcast or AT&T but nothing else. Those that live out in the sticks can only get Frontier and that is a DSL service slightly better than dial up speed, but not by much. If your very lucky you can get 3 mbs up and .50 mps down

5. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    I have Verizon (dsl) and can get 4chan here.

I don't use tor, so I can't help you there.

@Joe C: That's a big problem with rural life and internet service. There are just not enough customers to justify building the infrastructure.
    Or to justify competition.

IMHO, communities need to band together and build their own backbone interfaces. If I lived in a community like that, it would be worth paying the extra taxes to do it.

6. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014

yes i did the manual setup i cant connect...and were i live the only game in town is att or xfinity....i just because u dont find anything in their forums on blocking tor it doesnt mean their not doing it.

7. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @MS_User: Is it being filtered in your router? Can you get access to it and check?

Apart from that, I'd say drop them an email and ask them. Then, you'll know for sure. ;)

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I didn’t know that the ISP competition situation is bad.
    My ‘home’ ISP is Unitymedia and my 4G ISP is Vodafone.

The only ISP which is monopolistic here is the cable ISP. It depends in which federal state one lives.

But we have at least 4 different DSL provider one can choose everywhere and some local additionally. The issue here with rural DSL areas is speed, not competition.

The owner of the DSL infrastructure and the actual ISP can have different cooperations.
    At cable not.

I have changed my ISP 4 times already to get the most out of the net. ATM I use the cable / DOCSIS with 120 Mbit/s download and 6 Mbit/s upload.

Besides of that most do have a second ISP for mobile (LTE) use. All of the mobiles available here have a SIM card slot. There is a free version of any smartphone and I can change the ISP by changing the SIM also without any contract commitment if one wants.

Some are using a SIM/USB combination plugged into their rooter and get their internet via LTE (4G) for local network.

At some ISP contracts there is noticed that the ISP reserves the right to close some ports, but due to competition AFAIK nobody of them has restricted communications so far.

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    A secure email provider.

https://protonmail.com/

Basic version is free and suitable for common email use.
    It comes with a handy app.

10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    https://www.pubpub.org/pub/direct-radio-introspection?context=tjoe

Against the Law: Countering Lawful Abuses of Digital Surveillance
    bunnie Huang, Edward Snowden

As a class, investigative journalists face a heightened risk of retaliation for their work. Conservative figures from the Committee to Protect Journalists show at least 1,240 journalists killed for their work since 1992; this figure includes only deaths where the motive could be confirmed[1]. Unfortunately, recent advances in technology are giving rise to a circumstance where journalists are being betrayed by their own tools: their smartphones can be transformed into tracking devices. Governments and powerful political institutions are actively exploiting the unwitting emissions of phones, leaving journalists, activists, and rights workers in a new position of constant vulnerability. This work aims to give journalists a tool for observing when their smart phones are creating emissions, even when the devices are supposed to be in airplane mode. We propose to accomplish this via direct introspection of signals controlling the phone's radio hardware. The Introspection Engine will be an open source, user-inspectable and field-verifiable module attached to an existing smart phone that makes no assumptions about the trustworthiness of the phone's operating system.

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    https://www.liberty-human-rights.or...6fc2153b93839&uid=917878446&nid=244 281088008

Why we're part of a coalition of human rights organisations taking on the UK Government's mass surveillance regime
    Posted by Martha Spurrier on 02 November 2017

Next week brings a watershed moment in the battle to protect our privacy rights and the rule of law against mass government surveillance.

Liberty – along with Amnesty International, Privacy International, the American Civil Liberties Union and groups from Pakistan, South Africa and Egypt – will be in the European Court of Human Rights challenging the lawfulness of the UK Government’s surveillance regime.

14. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
  15. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    back to the topic; just some lose thoughts on tool; browsers and search engines...

i use mostly duckduckgo.com
    reasons; decent behaviour; they dont store anything.
    am i happy? nooo....
    reason; you dont get results like google delivers.
    i avoid google like the pest it is, however.
    reasons; they are a commercial firm,they store your searches,
    and f**k up your privacy. they even try to get me to
    approve their privacy policy, by sending me popups
    that i must read it, and they say;you MUST do that today.
    who thf do think they are, i wonder,to give me orders,
    i am not on their payroll. even.turning off java does
    not prevent that damn popup.vpn does. i suspect they
    are trying to avoid fines from the eu.and are nagging
    me with that popup just to make me click; i agree.
    [ i dont, of course, i just switch browsers..]
    but if you want results google delivers.
    so i switched search engines/browsers.i go to duckduckgo.com
    mostly.but i found some alternatives..
    https://www.epicsearch.in they are on us-servers,
    but they clean up after themselves, if you close the browser.
    no cookies, no nothing. but being us-based, it inevitably
    stores your browser-history. and it uses bing too. so bad results.
    it even offers temporary vpn, until you close the browser.
    i tried dillo too; no java, bulletproof, very sympathetic.
    but still not happy.
    so the culture gap forced me to look around once more.
    i HATE to get english results when i type dutch-specific queries.
    so i found https://deusu.de
    liked what i saw. got results too..
    so; rant over. i hope i provided some food for thought?

16. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Hi Nodnar. Hope you're well. :)

And yes, you've provided a lot of food for thought. There's too much poking and prodding into our private lives for the sake of making a buck.
    I too have had the same results with duckduckgo. Poor searches. Searches where results do not show up, but on google they do.

I tried epicsearch and triggered an error. I searched for "C# Windows Forms" (no quotes) and crashed django. :D

Back to the drawing board, I suppose.:oops:

17. emk810

emk810 MDL Member

May 12, 2016
  18. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Noddy: https://deusu.org

Shi*te, m8... Can you help, please? Why not in English? :(

19. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #279 gorski, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  20. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009