Tools which protect our privacy. Post your tools / ways you are using and opinions.

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Yen, Jul 23, 2013.

1. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    This thread here is missleading and people might thinking that using bunch of tools makes you secure or more secure, this is wrong.

There some guides, especially on the dark net (deep web) how to 'avoid getting busted' but none of them are accurate. In fact using the Tor Browser not protects you against Mac spoofing attack on a OS or application layer which then makes the entire setup useless. That's why there (one of many reasons) fingerprinting, if the attacker/agancies know what you use they can simply build startegies to attack you on another way without the need to break e.g. Tor.

To be more secure is a combination from bunch of tools, constantly updating and information what currently is going on (monitoring) while at the same time the user itself needs to check the entire setup for possible holes. That said an simply example would be e.g. use VeraCrypt to avoid that the police gets your data but this would not prevent anyone from data theft over the unlocked partition while you're e.g. infected or compromised with your current OS/program.

So telling people use one or two tools and you are protected is a horrible security strategie even the so called deep web experts getting busted by stupid mistakes. Another example here would be 'Hey use a fake P.O. Box' to send/deliver your cocaine ... yeah but how you get it without a faked ID Card and without exposing your face or without giving online your data away?! You see it's even more complicated to fully been stealth.

There is no guide and tere never will be how to secure your setup because it's a very very complicated topic which requires huge skills and even then it's difficult and your propertly spend a lot of time. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's difficult.

2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Not using cocaine (etc.) here, not using professional assassins or arms dealers, not seeing a possibility of revolution - I don't think I am a big, fat target (OK, fat a bit but you know... :D ).... :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    You simply haven't understand anything either the example and what it says about tools.

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Oh but I have!

Get off your high horse and face the music... They are in charge big time and can even frame you any day of the week...

And only a revolution could change that - for reaw... ;) :)

On the other hand, I really don't have much to play with so.... :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    that is true enough, but that is a fact of life. it made me a bit of a fatalist.. and i find it useful that it at least cleans after itself,
    as for https://deusu.org, at least it gives result that are not all-american, and the guy- it is a one-man initiative- seems to be very well aware
    of privacy issues, i think he deserves more success than he has.. as for german results, i read german just as easily as dutch so it works for me.

6. LoverOfLove

LoverOfLove MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    Nice thread..
    first thing is people should know whats really going on with them online.most people are not aware of the even simple ways how they can be tracked and hacked. being anonymous online can be very hard. my first recommendation to every one is learn. for a good start visit this good beginners guide to cyber security course https://www.udemy.com/the-complete-internet-security-privacy-course-volume-1/
    it has four volume. 1 - Hacking Exposed 2 - Network Security 3 - Anonymous Browsing 4 - Endpoint Protection
    author nathon's language and way is simple and he explains it really well.

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #287 Yen, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    (OP)

I am sorry to say but you are missing the point with your post....completely missing the point by an useless post with abstract example. We are not here to buy cocaine! We are not here to patch security holes.

It's not about dark net users nor people who think that when using one or 2 tools they would be safe. Nobody here ever said that you need one or 2 tools to be completely safe, from where comes your drivel?

Using a tool or even more tools MAKES your PC SAFER/gets more privacy for you compared to the use without them tools!

And it is absolutely nothing complicated. We are here to IMPROVE, we are not here to reach superlatives.
    When one uses TOR the one has better anonymity, that is a fact.

When one uses protonmail one has more privacy that is a fact.
    When one uses PGP properly nobody else can read the message. That is a fact.
    When one uses Linux instead of Android or windows one has a OS which grants more privacy that is a fact.

I have opened my thread to invite people to do more for their privacy.
    This thread is not about the windows 10 OS itself which is malware per se and has 'security holes'...nobody ever could patch them because they are kept secret.

EVERYBODY can do something. The people need to get more awareness on that and it is no matter for pros only. Every user can do something.

-First there must develop awareness on the need to do something.
    -Then one needs to be informed
    -Then one can realize own measures, depending on personal skills.

The goal is to resolve what has become aware. Or to learn to resolve what has become aware.
    There is a relative satisfaction with it...like I can live with it now....

Nothing more, nothing less can be achieved. The goal is different for each individual...but the result is improved compared to before..

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yep, that's the spirit! :)

9. emk810

emk810 MDL Member

May 12, 2016
    Tox - A New Kind of Instant Messaging

Whether it's corporations or governments, digital surveillance today is widespread. Tox is easy-to-use software that connects you with friends and family without anyone else listening in. While other big-name services require you to pay for features, Tox is completely free and comes without advertising — forever.

Tox protects your privacy by:
    • Removing the need to rely on central authorities to provide messenger services
    • Concealing your identity (in the form of meta-data, e.g. your IP address) from people who are not your authorized friends
    • Enforcing end-to-end encryption with perfect forward secrecy as the default and only mode of operation for all messages
    • Making your identity impossible to forge without the possesion of your personal private key, which never leaves your computer
    https://tox.chat

10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Interesting - any experts to check it all out, if it is secure against gov snooping ("reasonably")?

Most servers/nods seem to be in the US sphere of interest...

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

There is a phrase: " Nothing is for free, but the own death".

A tool that is free and has got no ads. To run it people need to be paid in a way (for servers development etc)...
    I do not trust such a model. A good independent messenger costs money!

What matters most IMHO are the conditions of the operating systems. Now with W10 ANY OS sends home. Android is even worse.
    To trust either Microsoft, Apple or Google is actually impossible.
    For the same reason it's questionable to trust a messenger that is 'for free'.

It is actually unbelievable how and what they send 'home'...and its getting worse from update to update.

Nowadays people pay with losing their privacy.

12. emk810

emk810 MDL Member

May 12, 2016
  13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #293 Yen, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    (OP)
    My first impression of the tox project is good, though.
    They do not accept donations for the project yet, except to donate individuals there.
    If one wants to support Tox (only) and donates an individual dev it might not be used for it (alone)
    What people might test is the performance.
    I bet their infrastructure is not made for a large amount of users..and the client might still be behind others feature-wise.

Sooner or later they need donations for the project itself to get a serious competitor.

I myself prefer a paid app. I pay once and get lifetime support. Just easy and fair.

Another point is to convince friends to move. A good messenger is nothing if friends have no will to move.
    And hence you cannot use messenger A today and a month later move to messenger B

It took me years to convince all my best friends to go for threema or at least for an additional install.
    I am glad I can use a secure messenger and ditch whatsapp.

14. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I've been using qTox and it seems to be okay.

https://qtox.github.io/

There is an Android version of tox called 'Antox'.

I haven't tried it, but at some point I will.

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    My current Android installation and usage concerning privacy and control:

AFWall+ to control apps' and services' traffic
    adaway to block ads by hostfile
    threema as messeger to replace whatsapp
    Disabled unused sysapps or even uninstalled systemlessly by magisk

Actually it would be better to ditch all google apps and to use another store such as f-droid store and an OS such as lineage OS.

I myself am still using playstore, but I use the whitelist mode of the AFwall+ and do only allow some apps to be online....

Anything banking or payment related I do NOT perform on Android devices.
    AS last resort when being abroad to book a flight or similar I do that using my VPN to my home ISP since I do not trust public spots.

16. puffyduff

puffyduff MDL Member

Sep 22, 2016
    #296 puffyduff, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Hmm, I checked some of the comments about that course, good or bad. I'd like to learn about router security and using wireshark. Have you taken all volumes? Volume 2 seems especially important, what do you think about that?

Also are there pirated versions of these classes? Can't help it, always been a pirate :p

ALSO! Very important: There are lectures like;

Firefox Security, Privacy and Tracking

uBlock origin - HTTP Filters, ad and track blockers

Browser Fingerprinting

Firefox Hardening

As you probably know such topics are constantly changing. Like you wouldn't harden your firefox like you would 2 years ago. On the page it shows "Last updated 8/2017" but not which parts of the lessons. How do I make sure this nathan guy keeps updating the right information?

How can he update lectures? By changing the old videos? Or that "Updated" means only the change in the texts?

17. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    A revelation!
    It is not I that needs a foil hat, it is my smart phone that needs an aluminum wrap

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You are addressing an important matter...
    Additionally most people don't have just one device with one particular OS, they have more.

-PC
    -Laptop /notebook
    -Tablet/smartphone
    -perhaps a particular server

Things are changing constantly, updates are coming...new apps are available new ideas are published.

The interest / time for them to care / own skills, yes joy to care about....
    It is not a process that can be done one time and it's good for all the time....all that eats spare time.

Even though I actually have fun with all that stuff it is sometimes very annoying to care about.
    And I do understand that people who do not like that because there is no own fun don't have the motivation to care....
    They read the news, they know that there is something 'uncomfortable', but are using the OS/apps out of the box.
    ANYWAY they can do something. They can use other services, install tools, change their way how to use them, install browser plugins etc...

I think it is important to talk about..with friends...to share info/recommendations...'skilled' friends can be as somebody who introduces ways the way other friends with 'less skills' can have also benefit.

I personally do not rely on a source of info...and hope it gets updated.

An ongoing thread like this where people can post (links) can be suitable...
    People need various info which can address own interests / develop own interest.
    People can then pick up and realize own measures.

All that are personal decisions where one can 'live with them'.... suggestions.
    Even friends who do also care about privacy have different own ways how and what they realize.
    A 'fight' which browser is best or the like is no help...for instance..and it is not the goal to find superlatives as posted already.

It does actually not matter if a particular information / article is outdated. People are losing interest and read somewhere else.
    The 'capacity' of the one who cares is individual and limited. This applies to authors and the readers.
    One considers something as personally not important (anymore)...

Something new gets important after it has become aware...if enough interest and time 'other' things can be realized.
    The interest on news concerning privacy is not constantly high...I sometimes just want to use my devices....then there is suddenly something new I want to try...and when I personally think it can help others I talk about...

Important is to invite people to get awareness on privacy..and let them know there are ways to do something regardless of own skills.

It's like I have something noticed what I don't like. I have found an alternative I personalty like. I realized it.
    I talk about.:)

19. LoverOfLove

LoverOfLove MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    yes i've taken all volume (with bittorrent ;)) you can found them on 1337x. and all volumes are great and easy to understand. my favorite is vol 3 anonymous browsing. with his explanation even non technical person can understand.
    about changes,, he keeps track of them with his blog https://www.stationx.net/ ,,may be he update his videos too but i dont know it since i've not bought the course.
    anyone who have interest in privacy stuff should take his course. Good luck.. :)

20. puffyduff

puffyduff MDL Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Daamn son, I already bought it, wish you could reply sooner :)

Feels like there's no important updates to videos. So you don't rly need to buy it. Good lectures tho, I like how the man speaks. Good teacher.