Tools which protect our privacy. Post your tools / ways you are using and opinions.

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Yen, Jul 23, 2013.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    https://twitter.com/JennaMC_Laugh/s...f4150d3b5be10&uid=917878446&nid=244 276893704

My latest: Two whistleblowers say the Defense Intelligence Agency watchdog's independence is compromised.

4. emk810

emk810 MDL Member

May 12, 2016
  5. emk810

emk810 MDL Member

May 12, 2016
  6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Interesting: https://www.wikitribune.com/story/2...leaks-in-conversation-with-jimmy-wales/26810/

FREE SPEECH |REPORT
    Q&A: Edward Snowden on rights, privacy, secrets and leaks in conversation with Jimmy Wales
    Burhan Wazir and 4 collaboratorsStarted 05 Jan 2018 | Last edited 1 day ago
    1. 'We’re becoming less citizens and more subjects.'
    2. 'Privacy’s not about having something to hide, privacy’s about something to protect.'
    3. 'There would be no place to hide if this government ever became a tyranny'
    4. 'We have ultimately diminished the meaning of rights in the United States'
    5. 'Rights are for the powerless...They’re for the weak'
    WikiTribune founder and CEO Jimmy Wales recently interviewed former CIA employee Edward Snowden, whose revelations in 2013 exposed global surveillance programs, many run by the U.S. National Security Agency with the cooperation of other governments and telecommunications companies.

This is an edited version of their conversation over Skype between London and Moscow where Snowden has been since his expose – unable to return to the United States for fear of prosecution. The discussion ranged across mass spying, journalism, leaking and the risks to privacy from online platforms like Facebook — let alone security agencies vacuuming up our communications.

7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    http://gginews.in/cia-access-aadhaar-issue-raised-rajya-sabha/

CIA Access To Aadhaar Issue Raised In Rajya Sabha
    The controversial issue of how Aadhaar is threat to National Security and how American Central Intelligence Agency has direct access to it via UIDAI certified foreign spy companies as reported by GreatGameIndia - How CIA Spies Access India’s Biometric Aadhaar Database has been raised today in Rajya Sabha by Sukhendu Sekhar Roy.

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

https://twitter.com/EFF/status/9540...86f742097645f&uid=917878446&nid=244 276893704

The bill, S. 139, is a disaster for our constitutional rights. EFF vehemently opposes the passage of it. It allows the government to spy on its own citizens without justification.

https://twitter.com/bjwinnerdavis/s...86f742097645f&uid=917878446&nid=244 293670920

My daughter, Reality Winner,not rich or affiliated with power, so she sits in jail denied bail & pending trial for outrageous Espionage charge. She is accused of leaking classified info to the American public showing how Russia interfered with election. Let that sink in.

10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  12. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    we allowed this to happen, we created spy agency's to protect us and gave them power that was abused in the name of protection of our country, we didn't pay attention to what they were doing because they were protecting us, and now it bit us in the ass, it will take another civil war to correct it because it wont fix its self ! and a lot of people don't even have any idea about whats going on there facebooking tweeting e-mailing each other with out ever looking in to the eyes of the ones there communicating with giving private personal information about themselves and others . and a lot of them don't even care!

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    So, we can "un-allow" this to keep happening...

14. DonaldSilver

DonaldSilver MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2018
    I agree Cyberghost has been a very good VPN service. It gives a very good data encryption and data security. The only issue which I don't like in it is
    1. It doesn't have Split Tunneling
    2. It takes a lot of time to bypass and connect. The countdown is pretty annoying :D

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Update:

Netguard (github version!!!) to control apps' and services' traffic. A no-root firewall!
    afwall+

(adawayto block ads by hostfile)
    threema as messeger to replace whatsapp
    Disabled unused sysapps or even uninstalled systemlessly by magisk

I've replaced afwall+ with the github version of netguard (https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases)
    It already comes with IP filtering and a hostlist to block ads. This means can replace adaway as well.

The (my) reasons to have replaced afwall+.

Even the free version from github can block ads via IP filtering and host list (does block its own ads of the free version, lol).

Can be configured more specifically, for instance applies rules when screen on only or apply Wi-Fi rules to home SSID only, else mobile rules etc, etc...

Uses own (virtual) VPN to have full control over traffic without to need root.
    Means you still can have an unaltered system partition using magisk root and pass safety net. (dm.verity)

For those who do not want to root and want to have more privacy by controlling apps' traffic a must a have. The free version for github, not the one from google play!

If you want even more stuff to configure/control you can buy several pro features....

A real cool tool coming from the dev of xprivacy....

16. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009

17. The only one secure Android it`s not to use Android ! :)
    Experts have evaluated how many vulnerabilities have occurred in different operating systems in the past year. The result: Unchallenged at the top is the Google Android operating system.

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #318 Yen, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    (OP)
    I guess this is right (Android is the most vulnerable OS). But the conclusion is not not to use it, but to use it with that awareness....

I still try to keep away any money related tasks...and I mostly do not login into sensitive accounts on Android. But I use it as 2nd factor to authenticate logins at the PC.
    OK ... I had booked/paid a flight already...but via VPN....and 2nd factor.

If one uses 2nd factor even a vulnerable OS is no problem for a particular action using it. The combination of 2 infected OSes would be safe as well. There is no relationship to both 'factors' detectable within that short period of (trans)action. On Android I use online login / password and as second factor SMS PIN which expires quickly...if I need to pay something via phone.

The right approach concerning security IMHO is to make your services safe, not the OS at first place. I don't run any anti-malware / AV program on Android.

Anything OS related is actually second and more related to privacy (also spam, ads and bloatware)...apps to control traffic, to remove apps, to block ads, etc....
    What I have posted (tools and the like) is privacy related...on topic.

Security related:
    Enable 2nd factor at banking and it gets much safer. No matter what OS.

The same applies to online shops such as Amazon or services as paypal. Enable 2nd factor auhentication......
    (You can even do that here for your MDL account.) :)

Think about what would be the worst that could happen to you personally.....(I bet most would say that somebody steals money, the second worst somebody steals data from the phone or somebody would delete something...)

Well besides of 2FA make backups at home, delete files from the phone/cloud when you don't want that somebody could steal them and you are fine. Consider a factory reset from time to time and apply OTAs in time.

I like my Android phone. Especially for taking photos and playing music and to chat (messenger)...and to use a few good apps .......but it's still more of a toy for me....

19. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    hm.
    thank you for a fascinating read.
    but i doubt their `facts` very much, to be honest.they are just too vague on
    the persons that they say who their sources are.
    for one thing, you can tell a person [ myself included,
    and journalists included too,] almost anything if he/she is not savvy concerning
    glassfibre data transfer[and that is the way it is done nowadays,]
    and they will just have to take your word for it.
    for another thing, it used to be my job to control in-person-access to such
    data centres.and i know for a fact that you cannot remove a thing without
    leaving traces in the same order of magnitude as an elephant would leave traces
    if it waded through a cabinet full of chinese porcelain. let alone 3000 servers.
    for another; i doubt if `the cutting edge of the cutting edge` of technology
    could produce chips as small as that. it requires a cpu, ram, and firmware.
    and it will generate heat that will need cooling too.
    and another thing, what could they do with any such sensitive information?
    act upon it? that would set the alarm bells ringing,
    after all the trouble they took.just my two 仙