Tools which protect our privacy. Post your tools / ways you are using and opinions.

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Yen, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Your story may or may not be accurate. Just don't believe any liberal rag you happen to come across on line at it's face value. The Guardian does have a questionable reputation for accurate reporting.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Since we are at "rag" level - I don't think any "conservative" rag is reputable AT ALL nowadays...

Btw, "liberal" is spurious in this case but OK...

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    conservative or liberal the interwebs can no longer be a trusted source for reliable information (imho)
    One person can find links to prove their views and another person with opposite views can find links to prove their view also.

5. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    :g: :D

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yeah, all evidence is evidence, sure, lies just as much as anything truthful...

Now, where did I hear this before... Orwell or Huxley? Hmmm...

Speaking of which:

"You might not know it, but Amazon runs basically half the internet on their cloud platform. Now they're cutting off the lifeline of Iran's liberal opposition in a misguided attempt to please—far beyond what the law requires—one of Amazon's biggest customers: the US Government." (Snowden)

Nice conservative, business based truths...

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    In case you are living off the grid... The U.S. is currently teetering on the edge of an all out war with Iran. Would you expect anything less from a U.S. based corporation?

8. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    They like picking fights with toothless and clawless tigers :rolleyes:

9. kanisho

kanisho MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2019
    For IM, Wire is pretty good (requires email to register or phone number, though if you use a phone number, you'll have to add an email if you want to use more than your phone, stupid I know but it's the only cons)
    It could be a nice alternative to Signal.

Regarding addons on Firefox (I won't support Chrome)
    UblockOrigin medium mode with remote font blocked and large media elements blocked as well. < must have
    NoScript to block JS Java and Flash globally < must have
    Privacy Badger + HTTPS everywhere
    Decentraleyes
    violentmonkey for userscript
    Forget me not (remove cookies and so on)

more info in privacytools.io , learning by yourself is worth it in the long run.

10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Edward Snowden
    @Snowden

Biometrics are quickly becoming one of the greatest enablers of evils in our time. This is only the beginning.

Jennifer Valentino-DeVries
    @jenvalentino
    · Oct 11
    Remember those photos you uploaded to Flickr a decade ago? They may have been used without your knowledge in a massive facial-recognition training database. Must-read story from @kashhill and @Aaron_Krolik, who tracked people in the dataset down.

https://nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/11/technology/flickr-facial-recognition.html

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    [​IMG]
    “Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say.”

― Edward Snowden

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Edward Snowden
    @Snowden

·
    Oct 9

The worst of all futures arrives when you aren't looking.

Danny Rivero
    @TooMuchMe
    · Oct 9

Tomorrow, the City of Miami will vote on whether to grant a 30-year contract on light poles that will have cameras, license plate readers and flood sensors. For free. The catch: Nothing would stop the contracting company from keeping all your data and selling it to others.

13. Soundator

Soundator MDL Novice

May 23, 2018
    Staying safe online especially if you're acting against the government, can be a dangerous thing to do. Anyway, in addition to what was said, I'd recommend going for a VPN (if you're a private user) or a proxy (if you want to both be safe online and use it for business, eg. web scraping). Im more familiar with the latter, because I use it for both mentioned reasons - marketing requires more tools nowadays than you can imagine :D If you need any help picking a provider, don't hesitate to contact me, as I use Smartproxy myself. You can look them up online or go for this guide: https://proxyway.com/guides/top-proxy-providers-2019 which helped me a lot, when I was picking my provider. Stay safe!

14. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    hm, thank you but no thank you.VPN costs like hell.and the free ones would sooner sell their own mothers than be useful to you online.and i have no wish to act against my own government. i am not a us citizen, and i live in a civilized country. at the most i may be tempted to act against the undemocratic EU government, or against what a german neighbor
    pleased to call green fascism.. but for now i will wash my hands from VPN. in innocence, mind.

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Noddy, mine costs £1.59 per month... Many around £2 p/m.

Consider this, please: “Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say.”
    ― Edward Snowden

16. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    oh, i agree with snowden very much, but i refuse to spend money on vpns, that`s all.

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    You have heard of geo-blocking etc.? You must have... Certain services - you are simply discriminated against, if you do not have a VPN.

And then there's privacy, not just re. state's snooping around but also corporations, criminals, "for the hell of it hackers" etc. etc.

It does help in a variety of ways... In Windows I use it alongside security suite (incl. firewall) and Malwarebytes.

18. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    pricing will be soaring like an elon musk rocket, just look at cloudflare; to the point where vpns will be considered indispensible, and m$ will incorpoate an obligatory vpn in the next windose, with automatic pricing.but it will remain what it is. just a lot of baked air, that slows our machines.and costs like hell.[ and yes-tired sigh-; i have heard of geoblocking.]

19. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Perhaps you have also heard of "competition" (sigh)?!? :p :D :p

IKEv2 is barely taking 10% off your full speed. Tested, working well, no issues! ;)

20. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I have been using Nord VPN for about a year now, most of the time I only use it when I think I need it. The results today with Nord VPN:
    [​IMG]

and just using my ISP without NORD VPN:
    [​IMG]

It is obvious as to why I do not use Nord VPN when it is not required