Tools which protect our privacy. Post your tools / ways you are using and opinions.

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Yen, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Mikorist

Mikorist MDL Member

Dec 26, 2012
    One of the best ways to protect ur privacy in the world is ANY operating system on ANY machine NOT
    physically accessible by intruders and NOT connected to the internet.:vertag:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Yes pull the plug that's the best privacy, you can also live like a recluse and avoid being murdered by the millions of loonies out there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #83 gorski, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    I raised a specific point: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/aug/22/wikileaks-in-sweden-for-whistleblower-laws/

And I charged him and now you, Yen, with ignoring that which doesn't fit.

Now, ladies, if you can keep your rather short attention span and rhapsodically raging fantasy in check, we can also talk of other issues... :D But not about it all at the same time. Only one at the time, not jumbling it all together in one wild dance of frivolity...:rolleyes:

=======================================================

Moreover, you can't have it all - not at the same time... Companies moving to Sweden for anonymity reasons - and also that nonsensical accusation...

As I said, scrutiny and only in "well established suspicion cases". I would also add that Norway (not only US) can point to locally grown "terrorists", who can be deadlier than any alleged "foreign" threat, sometimes. Now, do we allow those to rage as they please?

===========================================================

One more thing comes into play, which isn't always the best option in the EU, as some solutions and achievements in Sweden are well beyond the current achievements in EU terms.

So, enter the "EU factor": http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2009/04/as-swedens-internet-anonymity-fades-traffic-plunges/

===========================================================

Yes, high taxes but ask yourselves one question: can those happen without high sallaries? How much more are we gonna "ignore" there?

Like high levels of solidarity, as shown in second to none social security, health service, pensions, excellent start in life for all children, well organised work-force, high levels of union membership, great infrastructure and on and on and on...

No, Sweden is no paradise, it has its problems but it is the least cr@ppy place on Earth on so many levels, it bites the eyes when somebody takes one issue, misreports it, badly interprets it and then...

BAH!!!

Night-night...:cool:

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  5. SvenP

SvenP MDL Junior Member

Mar 25, 2009
  6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    You mean like you ignored everything I just wrote???

Including the stuff after the Snowden...

Achhhh...

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I didn't want to debate if Sweden is a 'good place' to live. Sure Sweden has its merits.

I replied directly 'on topic' because the whistle-blower protection is just one side of the medal, excellent (expensive) health and welfare system or not.

Sweden is as 'bad' as US and British concerning NSA cooperation, that is as fact.
    http://www.thelocal.se/50096/20130906/

"Campbell claimed that Sweden was the third major partner in the surveillance cooperation,... "

...somebody.... an 'authority' warns with a wagging finger .... reasoned on a self made prognosis which has nothing to do with an increment of crime or any facts that would reason more control...besides of that to close down 'markets' just brings people's deals back on streets...nothing else changes...they are stupid when thinking they are doing good work......instead of they should think about how it can be realized that people can use [drugs] safely, but that is another story...

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Actually, somebody in journalist profession (a paragon of virtue, no doubt! :D) claims something - but we still have to see the evidence of that, on a mass scale, in Sweden...

As for "across Swedish border" - imagine that: a potential terrorist, a suspect, is talking with his suppliers of money, info and equipment in a neighbouring country...

Ooooo, a tough one, "do I listen in or do I stop each time the other side starts talking"? :rolleyes::biggrin: Nuts!!!:D

Bar that (lots of evidence being actually available) - you are, of course, right...:rolleyes::biggrin:

In the meantime, the laws were correctly tied to judicial etc. overview...

And not that many cases a year, as we heard...

So, for now: "Innocent, unless proven..." ;)

You know, what you want for yourself!:cool:

9. sean70

sean70 MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2011
    +1 . From what I have been reading , a VPN wont protect you. Some speculation about Tor being compromised. Backdoors built into most services we use and companies more than willing to "share " its users information and some encryption not being that secure after all.

I think its just something you need to realise when online these days, sure you can hide from your ISP and certain organisations but that's about it. If the security services want to snoop ,not much we can do apart from elect a decent government next time we vote.

Personally I think Snowden has done the world a great service , but unfortunately nothing will change , until we the people make it happen with votes. Most people don't really care about it enough to do anything constructive about it. :(

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It doesn't help most of us to post 'black and white'. There are many grey tones as well. Sure to disconnect from internet would be a solution. But do you want to go completely without it, could you at all?
    And what about the NSA controlling ATM data traffic when you withdraw cash? What about recording phone calls? What about your already stored data? (How much money you have, your assurances, your traffic tickets, your medical data / history, your buyers accounts....and so on...)

You cannot say '.....a VPN won't protect you'. What is the goal, ....not to use them?
    Do you know what a VPN is and how many different protocols it uses???
    PPTP is something different than IPSec XAuth PSK, both are used at a VPN.

It CAN protect you for sure! Also TOR gives MORE anonymity for sure.
    People need to be enlightened what IS available, how does it work and what one can expect.

To encrypt via PGP IS totally secure. If you write an PGP encrypted e-mail and be careful not to share your private key (keep it stored totally offline) then you can use any sloppy e-mail service, it doesn't matter.

If you want to search without to leave back your IP use start page, if you want to browse anonymously use TOR.

You have more privacy than without and that is the point! There is no black and white. (No protection / 100% protection.)

Enlightenment and to motivate others is the way. To say blah blah doesn't help, doesn't help, lol. :biggrin::)
    'Something' will change. One has to make a own effort and to motivate others. It seems that is not much, they are little steps but they are steps against it. If you feel something is wrong with secret services and democracy, do it! :)

11. sean70

sean70 MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2011
    NSA’s Internet taps can find systems to hack, track VPNs and Word docs

Of course NSA can crack crypto. Anyone can. The question is, how much?

findmemachinestohack.png

Some interesting reading , just two articles on Ars. Here's a nice long list of decent factual articles as well > Link

I was under the impression that some exit nodes ( obviously not all of them) have been compromised on Tor .Cant find the link but will post it when I do. I believe that the CIA has some involvement.

Anyway , my point is that you cant really hide from the security services , just your ISP and other people you may wish you hide your activity from. I use a VPN when downloading torrents for the obvious reasons. But I understand its limitations. Some VPNs are better than others.

You make an interesting point about keys , The recent story about Lavabit springs to mind and I admire the former owners integrity, but it makes me wonder how many other companies got NSA letters and gave up its users. Even if you use the most secure set up on the planet, it has weak points that can be exploited at source.

I hate the idea of the British government snooping on everything I do online , monitoring my communications and generally taking my liberties away one by one. The only way to stop this nonsense is to take back power by voting in a responsible government. :biggrin:

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I can imagine that some exit nodes are under the control of secret services. They want to be a part of the game.
    But they have to make an effort to 'uncover' you and to be live there to get your current IP address.
    When just using them to anonymize you, you should be safe. When you get under suspicion then they sure make the effort to get who you are...to browse anonymously is no crime.

When talking about 'common' protocols (SSL / TLS) such as those used at https then yes. But PGP is safe and cannot be decrypted without private key, nobody has managed that so far.

One encrypts the message for the receiver (to be sent to him) with the shared public key (it comes from the receiver, has to be made public beforehand to receive encrypted messages).
    And when received the receiver decrypts it with the (his) own secret private key.

To demand 100% security is the problem. How can be something 100% secure when you cannot 100% be sure to be alive here at MDL again next evening? lol.
    When you cross the street you could be run over. But do you watch the traffic before you cross the street anyway? I guess yes. So why not use what can gain more privacy even if it is not 100%?

And how does one determine 100% security? How long does one have to use a special measure without to get known somebody else has had access to the data without one's agreement?

The secret services should finally accept that there are people having their own ideas. Power to the peoples, the meaning of democracy! Why is there the need to control others? They hunt for a 'security' which is no security at all. It is all about to enforce own ideas. Where does it start, where does it end? People have different ideas, that is a fact.
    To tap wires and record movies at public places assumes all the people are suspicious. An obvious mistrust of authorities against people.

The copyright issue of music and movies. One can easily calculate the loss of money of the owners that yearly happens when downloaded 'illegally'. A learning process has started. Instead of to seize servers and sue the people they create their own services. They offer downloads with an affordable price.

13. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    There is an absence of MDL formatting and advanced options when using TOR

I haven't had formatting or advanced for a while now and don't remember when it started but I thought formatting and advanced options we're there when I first installed it!?

Thanks for any response

:shisha:

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Where exactly do you mean? Editor?

15. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #95 timesurfer, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
    Hi Yen, I meant no advanced button and no formatting options above subject box

Also I want to add a smiley but can't just is blank when I click on smiley

Also no chat or show button open

Manual smiley ---> :shisha:...lol

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I've just tried it. It works. It is probably the no script plugin of the tor browser (that 'S' button on top). It seems scripting needs to be enabled for MDL even though it is not recommended at the settings.

17. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    to come back to the tools that this thread
    is all about,

i happened to come across this;

https://telex.cc/software.html

all obsolete stuff, maybe,
    but i think it could create a sea of trouble
    for the likes of nsa if people used rtty kind
    of communication, combined with non-software
    encryption.. no expert in this..
    any thoughts, anyone?

18. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I added http://forums.mydigitallife.net/forum.php to the whitelist :eek:

Is that how to do it?

Thanks

:shisha:

19. Mikorist

Mikorist MDL Member

Dec 26, 2012
    #99 Mikorist, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    Germany Claims the NSA Has Access to Every Windows 8 Computer

Germany Claims the NSA Has Access to Every Windows 8 Computer

- Some comments:

:rolleyes:

20. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :worthy:That should be made a law