Tor and VPN users labeled as criminals

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Imkruzen, May 5, 2016.

1. P.J

P.J MDL ☂

Jul 30, 2009
    Privacy <> Internet

They had a reason to create it
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet

Thanks for removing my post :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ugurano

ugurano MDL Junior Member

Apr 14, 2014
    i mean not all information illegal on tor, and why i not using vpn, its my choice, and vpn its not illegal

3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    They're trying to scare the n00bs away from the dark web and anonymous surfing. It makes it easier for their surveilance systems to work.

:dunno:

(It sounded like a good idea when I typed it...)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 1QD23R232FWEF32REW

1QD23R232FWEF32REW MDL Novice

May 28, 2016
    I doubt it.
    They probably just want control of everyone. If they can label them as criminals, it means they can investigate them. Which means privacy will be gone for Tor and VPN users.

5. Lodge

Lodge MDL Novice

May 31, 2016
    Absolutely ridiculous. This is a major violation of privacy.
    I'm interested in how the FBI plans to "hack" TOR/VPN users, though. It's not like they have a universal exploit for every operating system and browser.

6. windowsguru

windowsguru MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2012
    It goes both ways being a site owner I've met with what blacklists call bad visitors who use things like fraudfox to hide their browser footprint and vpn because they cause trouble on sites
    and are blacklisted. Tor is useless anyway as most sites are on cloudfare and tor is challenged by repeat recatcha2.

Like why are you hiding dude?

7. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    That is a very slippery slope dude...
    How long before the question becomes,"Why are you hiding your tax returns dude?", if you get my point.

8. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I have to wonder what other countries' governments make of this. Not that they want powers any less for themselves, but I cannot imagine they are happy about another country saying they 'legally' have the right to spy on others, for whatever reason. Especially if the place saying it is America.

Of course they all do it as much as possibly anyway, legal or not, but does it not give some political angle to argue about?

I've watched the erosion of our privacy (most of which was illusion anyway) by both legal and illegal (but not challenged by the gov.) for decades. The only things that matter in this world to the rich and powerful who run it is money and power. It doesn't matter who gets voted in or otherwise gets to the top, the only ones who get there *are* (or very much want to be) the rich and powerful. They are the only ones ruthless enough and with enough powerful friends to get there. They have no concern for the rest of humanity no matter what their campaigns promise to do for us.

While off-topic, there have been a few accurate comments in this thread regarding the state of humanity and greed etc. I said the same myself, elsewhere, many years ago. Until the race evolves beyond personal survival (which is what brings about greed etc) then nothing will change for the better. The vast majority of those being under-trod would behave just the same as those treading on them, given the chance.

I've never read that before, but I have observed it in my country and agree with everything except the last line. Our (anyone's) society is not ultimately doomed. No leader wants to lose their cash cow! Societies might be forcibly rearranged (possibly by external action) and thinned out of 'objectionable' members (like those of us who value privacy) but the society itself will endure. Whatever society really means.

Another angle on the proposed law:

Peer pressure! I've seen that used by people in (or wanting) power everywhere, for instance: bullies at school; managers at most places I've been employed (was directly told to use it myself when I was management); all the way up to government. It's used all the time to control the population.

By passing, or even just proposing, a law like the one in the OP, many people will agree with it without even thinking. That's more of the sheep bleating anti-privacy nonsense, just as the government wants. Repeating something like that in the media always gets results. People believe what they hear, and the more important the source they hear it from, the more they believe it. No matter how much it is rubbish.

The law, and its implied criminalisation of privacy advocates, is an insult both to the USA's own citizens and every person and country on the planet. It should be fought tooth-and-nail by *everyone*. But it won't be, because not enough of us really understand, or care. Those few of us who do, know that it's largely pointless to fight. There just aren't enough of us. The best we might hope is to slow down the process a little, I think, and make the gits work a little harder for their prize.

At least that's my view, having tried to fight against such things many times in my life. Funny how many beside you are all in support when you're with them, but they shrink into the woodwork when you raise your voice to the oppressors, and you stand alone while peer pressure does its work and the management sit back and laugh.

Vive la Revolution! - I wish - it's too late for any of that.

9. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    It's only to be expected that if you try to dodge being monitored, that's when you're targeted for monitoring.

And these anonymizing services don't offer the protection their users think. They can all be monitored with special knowledge and tools, both of which are abundant at the monitoring authorities.

Worse, some have built in backdoors for monitoring, or are even honeypots, namely set up by the authorities for trapping the unlawful "flies". Indeed, if I were an authority wishing to monitor people with suspicious intentions, I'd set up a simple, cheap VPN service and wait for customers.

10. queuebert

queuebert MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2010
    Because you mentioned it:

The Constitution IS just a "gawd dam piece of paper" as president pretzel said because no one, starting with that snake-in-the-grass George Washington, has adopted it by swearing and subscribed the Article 6 Clause 3 oath as required (they take the wrong oath), so they are not personally bound to serve the people's interests. That's why they can make all the promises they want and not be held responsible for breaking said promises. They only serve the interests of the organization they work for, just as you'd serve Microsoft's interests and not the people's interests if you were working for Microsoft.

Furthermore, the Constitution has about as much to do with the people as Walmart's corporate charter has to do with people who may or may not shop at Walmart, i.e., such documents only really pertain to the organizations the documents were written to ordain.

It matters little anyway, as the Constitution--and therefore by extension all their legislative & judicial products--only apply on United States territory where few people live, anyway.

11. bleepyboop

bleepyboop MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2013
    Tor was one big honeypot anyway, seems pointless to play a game of cat and mouse with the FBI if you really are doing something that illegal

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I don't get what you want to say with this! Do you know what TOR is at all? TOR can't be a honeypot, it's just like saying network x is a honeypot, or the www is a honeypot.

Honeypots are also used to uncover 'bad exit nodes' run by 'officials'...

It is pointless to let yourself label as a criminal by institutions who themselves are breaking laws.
    When you use tor you get a record at the xKeyscore database.
    I am proud to have got one!

13. President_Trump

President_Trump MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2016
    Rubbish. I will pardon anyone convicted under this draconian approach.

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Imposter!
    We all know the REAL Mr Trump would have stated that comment like this:
    "I will pardon any a**hole convicted under this f**king draconian approach"