Toshiba nb200-110: bios SEMI-BRICKED?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by crimsom, Nov 5, 2010.

1. toshtosh

toshtosh MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2010
    floppy alternative

A very big thanks to all of you who helped me recover my nb200. I was ready to send it for repair at my own expense and now it's working like a charm.

Here is something that will help those without an external floppy drive: it works (at least for me) with an sd card.

it didn't work with any usb pen so I tried with a 4go sd card, with crysis and bios 1.6 and... done!

good luck

2. toshtosh

toshtosh MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2010
    bio2 v2

Thank you for the advice; this is exactly what I did, I flashed bios v2 in dos mode, but unfortunately after a night sleep, the pc froze again; so I went back to bios v1.6 with crysis and flashed back to v2 in windows 7. and so far so good...

3. timown

timown MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2012
    Well hello whoever is still here and might help me with this problem :D
    I have Toshiba mini nb200-10z, some time ago, maybe a year ago it just stopped working, everytime you would turn it on the screen would remain black and nothing would happen, so I was sure it just died or something is wrong with the screen, but few days ago I saw so many results on google about black screen on those and solution with BIOS update..
    So I got the floppy usb 2day, made a floppy with CrisDisk with phlash16.exe and BIOS.WPH (of 1.6 bios update) but it look like it doesn't get power supply from the netbook when I turn it in, I hold the FN+B and power it on, it starts for a few seconds and then becomes silent, but still the floppy's LED won't turn on or anything.
    Then I read toptiercomputerservices's post about first pressing FN+B and then plugging AC and turning it on, now it won't become silent after a few seconds, but still nothing happens with the floppy :(
    I also read the post about doing the same with SD card and tried that too, same result - nothing happens.
    Any ideas?

4. timown

timown MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2012
    Fixed :D
    gg.

5. yoelfer1988

yoelfer1988 MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2012
    timown hi ... what was your problem ...
    I have a nb200-eh pll25e and tried all the steps here but without success ...
    anyone can help me ...?
    Thank you! regards

6. Bergen06

Bergen06 MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2012
    Toshiba mini nb200-10z, boot issue

Hi all,

I hope someone of those with this issue solved are still reading this post. I've a Toshiba mini nb200-10z (from Sept 2009 aprox.) running XP. Since one week ago there is no way to boot. Just pressing the power and nothing happens, just one second flash light of the HDD and some fan noise and then nothing.

Just reading this and several others posts I realize that most probably I'm suffering the "bios" issue. I've tried to follow all the instructions mentioned before in the post: crisis recovery disk, etc...but when I plugg the floppy usb to any of the usb ports and press Fn+B before plug the power and push the power on, there is an intensive fan noise (clearly different than before) but there is no attempt to read the floppy and nothing happens after this. Then I've to unplug the ac cable to power off completely the netbook

Can someone help me with this? I'm pretty sure that there is still a chance to rescue my netbook bot not clue how to proceed now...

any help will be pretty welcome !!!

thanks

7. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    1. Try a different USB port. Once the Floppy reads, it takes at most a couple minutes for it to reprogram the BIOS.
    2. Which Crisis Recovery Disk maker did you use?

8. yoelfer1988

yoelfer1988 MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2012
    #49 yoelfer1988, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
    Which CRD you have used ???
    i used the sd reader is the same proccess?
    MY NB IS PLL25E ... is the same version of bios ?
    with this version of bios when reading the memory reader
    after a minute suddenly turns off

9. Bergen06

Bergen06 MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2012
    Hi tghoang, thanks for answer

I've tried the three different usb ports I've and always with the same result: intensive fan noise but not attempt to read the floppy....
    I'm using the CRD from the toshiba forum, which, by the way, only runs on XP but not with W7.....

any other idea?

10. yoelfer1988

yoelfer1988 MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2012
    i dont have luck ... i test with ... BIOS 1.20-1.60-2.20 ---
    different USB .. but nothing..
    Read Floppy, Fun Noise... 5 minutes ... fun down speed..
    i leave a 5-10-30 minutes. but nothing

Thanks Any way!!!
    regards

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try no hdd and no dvd and 1 ram stick.. alternate ram sticks sometimes bad hardware causes no post.

12. teosmat

teosmat MDL Novice

May 8, 2013
    #55 teosmat, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
    Hi every one, i would like to share what i've experienced during the process of "unbricking" a friend's Toshiba NB200-PLL20E. Hope this helps someone.
    First of all, i would like to thank everyone here in this thread for your grateful help. I really appreciate it, i couldn't have done it without it.
    I got this NB200 that was bricked, as described in previous posts, power button was lit, but no other activity whatsoever. After freezing the computer, it turned on, showed toshiba logo but it could not get into bios (it was stuck in the "please wait" message after pressing F2).

I followed the procedures described here, at first with no results, meaning that i could not reflash 1.6 bios in order to boot. At first i thought that an external usb floppy was absolutely necessary for this procedure but eventually i found out that that was not the problem.

So this is what worked for me:

First i took out the HDD, memory and battery and put the laptop in the fridge for 15min.
    When i took it out of the fridge, i put back the Hard disk drive and memory (battery was not necessary)
    In the meantime, i created a USB flash drive (common 4gb USB stick) with crisys disk (from openfly - 4shared) and with bios 1.6 (from thoang)(sorry i'm not allowed to post links!-all previous files can be found in this thread). All i needed was a 32bit Windows version. I run ll20v160.exe (that's the 1.6 bios, it installs on the HDD) and i took avaa160a.rom that i found there, placed it in the folder of crisys disk and renamed it to BIOS.WPH. After that, all i had to do was to run WINCRIS.exe telling it to make a minidos crisys disk in my removable disk (usb stick). After my usb stick was ready, i took out the laptop from the fridge, put back the memory AND the HDD in (this is important, because without the HDD it gave me errors and could not flash 1.6 bios), put the usb stick and power supply, pressed win+b and turned it on with win+b still pressed. After that, it started reading from the usb stick and it phlashed the 1.6, and after it finished phlashing, it loaded windows.
    Without shutting down the computer, i took Bios 2.2 (found in toshiba site for my specific model) plugged the battery in (without the battery it cannot phlash the new bios and will give an error) and run 2.2 bios setup from windows.
    After 2.2 bios was phlashed, i restarted the computer and everything is working fine now.
    :yeah:
    Again, thanks a lot for your help!
    Regards

13. biosOnSd

biosOnSd MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2013
    How To Flash NB200 bios WITHOUT floppy drive - step by step guide - Win Osx Linux

Hello everybody,
    thanks for your precious suggestions i was able to recover an almost dead toshiba nb200, now fully working.
    I did it WITHOUT an external usb floppy drive.I just used a 4gb Sandisk SD card.
    The following procedure was done using a Macbook, but it works on every system for a simple reason: i used an xp virtual machine.
    Here are the steps:

0) if you don't have any clue about VM, find TinyXP rev 09 on torrent, then download your favorite VM software (vmware, virtualbox, parallel), install it. Every other operation will be made inside the vm.

Preparation:
    1) download Phoenix Crysis Disk.
    2) download Toshiba Bios version 1.60.
    3) make sure your VM see the SD card as a physical drive, not a network drive.
    4) rename the bios as "BIOS.WPH", put it in the main folder of Crysis.
    5) launch Phoenix Crysis, from the available removable drives there will be your sd card.
    6) when done, remove your card. you don't need any other adjustment, no autoexec, no other boot files other than those created with Phoenix Crysis

Flashing the BIOS:
    1) be sure your netbook is turned off completely, then remove power adaptor, remove the battery
    2) insert the sd
    3) PRESS AND HOLD fn+B. WHILE HOLDING fn + B, plug the AC adaptor. Keep the battery removed.
    4) WHILE HOLDING fn+B, press and hold the power button for 15 seconds, then release. NEVER RELEASE fn+B
    5) the netbook will turn on, the fan will keep doing noise. Hopefully you will see the SD led blinking! good sign.
    6) when it finishes to blink, RELEASE fn+B. Leave the fan be noisy, don't worry, just wait.
    7) the fan will stop to run, still don't touch, after seconds (but the time could be variable), the netbook will turn off. I read in some other forum that some netbook didn't turn off by themself, if it's that your case, wait 10 minutes then remove the AC adaptor. It didn't happened to me, i hope it's not your case.
    8) remove the SD card
    9) turn on, it should show you the Toshiba POST screen.

You did it! pressing F2 you can verify it's version 1.60.

From now on your system is bootable, do as you please about upgrading the firmware and disabling the hybernation option from xp.

I registered specially to this forum to thank you guys for the right links and direction, and since i didn't read the exact guide for the SD card, i wanted to share my experience.
    Hope it will help somebody else.

Have a good day

14. guimenez

guimenez MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2016
    Please i've the same problem on my nb220-110.
    I can't find the Phoenix crysis disk and the 1.60 ROM.
    Can anyone help me please?
    I will try the sdcard method.
    Thank you

15. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. Great to hear it solved your problems!