TOSHIBA SATTELITE Insyde bios recovery?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by wezzyf1, Jun 16, 2018.

1. wezzyf1

wezzyf1 MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2018
    Hello

I've a toshiba Satellite C50-A539 with bios version 1.40 curretnyl running.

I updated to 1.40 from 1.30 since 3 years ago and ever since my laptop was never the same
    it used to be smooth and responsive now it's kind of laggy and slow ever since i updated to 1.40
    it's functional and performs well but it wasn't as fast as when i first got it,i could run Battefield 3 back then with Meduim settings on around 40~50 fps now im struggling to even run some older games.

i need to know how do i access recovery mode ,i did download the desired bios,extracted it to a formatted FAT32 USB stick,used Andy's tool to get the name for the PT130.FD and it returned PTX64.f?(so i guess i should rename it to PTX64.FD? correct me if im wrong)
    anyway I've tried Windows+B
    Fn+Esc
    Fn+R
    Fn+F
    and nothing boots into recovery mode.
    all above combinations the pc started up normally and booted into windows..
    any ideas?
    what am i doing wrong and why am i unable to access bios recovery.

2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #2 mxman2k, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    FN + F usually is the one to invoke Bios Recovery, it may be the bios file may need to be named BIOS.fd as some Tosh's was a bit fussy, some needed the platform name such as the PX64.fd or PL64.fd sometimes you cannot go back a revision as the newer bios can prevent it.

It can even be called BIOS.wph.

FN + R may also invoke the recovery mode. As FN + F i think only works with a floppy drive (USB one if connected).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. wezzyf1

wezzyf1 MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2018
    even with recovery mode?

4. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    FN + B may be another one to test. Seems Toshiba used a few ways!

I think it called Bios Crisis Recovery. I found a few sites that mention using a Crisis Recovery way... The usb stick may have to be formatted as FAT12 (floppy format) and no larger than 2gb.

If the laptop has windows running, have you tried the older bios as most Tosh's use the WIndows flasher method.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
  6. wezzyf1

wezzyf1 MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2018
    Running the windows InsydeFlash.exe will tell me that the bios i'm running is newer than the one that im trying to flash,and yes it's called crisis recovery.

7. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Toshiba like HP have so many models with same numbers but different bios's it is a nitemare at times to find the right one!

if i remember there was a way to make it flash a lower version, in a ini file i think you have to enable advanced mode. its been a long time since i used a win flasher for phoenix/InSyde type bios.

8. wezzyf1

wezzyf1 MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2018
    The bios inside is called PT130.fd which is my motherboard im sure i have the correct bios because i downloaded the 140 version from my official laptop tosohiba support page and compared both files,same size and everything

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    take 1 ram out.

try cdrom if its older than 2010 ..
    Fn X or F possibly R been a while.

10. wezzyf1

wezzyf1 MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2018
    it's already running on only 1 ram,do you know how to check when was my laptop model made? not sure if it's newer than 2010

11. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Isn't the recovery filename "PFX64.FD"?

12. wezzyf1

wezzyf1 MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2018
    No PFX is for a different model i guess,i extracted my bios and ran andy's tool on it it returned PTX
    it makes sense because of my motherboard's name is PT10F or something

13. chappatti

chappatti MDL Novice

May 25, 2009
    I have Toshiba P75 series. And exact same problem. I can avoid battery check and ac check using platform.ini file, but then there is an image check error.

I cannot force flash. If we can find the option to force flash, maybe can help? The flash version is isflash12r but I cannot find the force option command

14. chappatti

chappatti MDL Novice

May 25, 2009
    Also insydeflashx64.exe --forceit from cmd prompt doesn't work.

15. wezzyf1

wezzyf1 MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2018
    bump