U.S. Government Shuts Down Megaupload

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Matty Lowe, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    The real criminals are taking down the websites :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    i have my doubts. r29k..
    again. with all respect.
    the guys taking down the websites are being
    put to do this, by the lobbies subsidising the
    campaign of the next us-president kissing
    babies, unhindered by any insight of what
    is going on..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    us-members: I don't know how is the general opinion there about. Do they support what the government has done?
    All they can do is to watch if a protest is organized and to join. But there must be fertile ground that the seed of protest can grow...if yes then they might organize the protest by themselves. (facebook etc)

out of US: depends on national laws / situation. Basically the same. To watch out for protest and to join. To inform about politics and which parties don't support this and to vote for them....if you are an idealist you can hack a government site, lol.

those who had an mu account: Depends on local laws. And your idealism to get the money back. Consult a lawyer and get info what you can do. But I guess the lawyer then will cost you more than you might get back.

To upload generally means (to me personally) it's a service I have to be aware that my data can be deleted anytime and my money is gone then.(If used a paid service)
    It's to share something temporarily. I store backups on my server for important stuff.
    I never would upload something to a 'cloud' to share. Also due to privacy reasons.
    I never have paid such a service I use sendspace most. I don't need to share /send many data over the net.

4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    I'm talking about the ones instigating it.

5. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    well, that`s the lobbies, as far s i can see..

6. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    @acrsn,

a bit lenghty, true, but
    worth the effort..

if technology stays where it is today,
    this may be a nightmare scenario,
    and realistic too..

luckily technology is not going to stand
    still..the tide may yet be turned.

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I am trying to get the latest FW for my phone to download. Also I want a modified theme.
    ATM it's hard to get it downloaded. Most FS server are down or allow only to download own uploaded contents.

It is by far worse than I have expected. It isn't megaupload only, all the others restrict as well.
    Free contents such as Android ROMs are affected.

I guess we've lost more than just megaupload, we've lost a part of our freedom.

I got one working only. I can start the other downloads later since free accounts have to wait......I guess I need to hurry up to remain most joy of my phone.

I still cannot believe what has happened. Millions of hours of work of voluntary developers of a free and open source community cannot be provided to enjoy all their work with others............

8. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    yes, yen it is scary..
    when this stuff was brought to my attention
    a few weeks ago, i laughed at it.
    they can`t close down the www, i thought..
    okay, that was stupid..

just look at us now, just a few weeks hence..

but let us just wait it out for a bit..

closing down of mu, and the
    self-censoship of some others does create
    a huge void,, there is money to be made out there.

people are bound to jump in.
    not the very best of them, i fear, but still,
    let wait and see..

9. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Don't worry those same people that got closed down will popup elsewhere with services.

10. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    #111 nononsence, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    does anyone know of any file hosting site's that do not have any ties too the USA, no servers in the USA, no TLD's of .com .net etc.
    I like mediafire but my stuff gets DMCA'ed all the time and I'd like to move before the US government raids mediafire and start supplying
    IP address of suspected infringers to the poor victimized multi-billion dollar corporations so they can sue teenagers for sharing music and movies.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

11. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    File Factory is in the Netherlands it seems :eek:

12. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  13. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    #115 R29k, Jan 24, 2012
    There are two locations, the domain name host and the actual file server.
    FileFactory.com is Go Daddy USA and the files are in Netherlands. At least that's what I gather from it.
    To simplify it:
    FileFactory.com = USA
    85.17.172.100 = Netherlands

mydigitallife.net = USA
    205.251.140.1 = Canada

:biggrin5:

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The major problem is that the important 'parts' of the internet are under control of US authorities.
    An example: TLD of Togo (no DMCA), server soil: Togo, but DNS USA......

It never should be possible that a particular government can shutdown a foreign server. The US gov has got too much power. The world needs to act.

15. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    #117 R29k, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    If bad becomes worse we will just hit here
    Code:
    http://205.251.140.1 

16. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #118 redroad, Jan 24, 2012
    To quote myself from an earlier post.

The way corporate money has it's way in U.S. politics is they purchase ad time on television. The content of those ads are "Wedge Issues" which instill fear in people so to distract them from larger issues and as a result things remain the same.

It has always been my belief that 99% of the world's population could agree on some very basic but core issues that would go a long way in the preservation of our humanity. The "Wedge issues" are preserving this shell game being played. if enough people don't recognize it for what it is "The grand illusion" then we are doomed.

I have hope when I see this dialogue taking place. The big question is will We do it time.

17. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter MDL Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    I think, you all need to be a little more realistic about politics. There is a real world out there where certain people and organisations do have real power.
    Democracies have been on the way out for a long time, what "the people" want no longer really matters. Manipulation of people and planting opinions in their minds is a growing game now. And there is nothing science fiction like about it all, the media corporations have understood their power.
    You should really start by understanding the present situation, and then speculate about the future....
    You need to understand what post-democracy means and wake up a little more. Sorry but I cannot say this any nicer.

This is the book that started it all, long ago...

http://www.polity.co.uk/book.asp?ref=0745633153
    "Post-Democracy, By: Colin Crouch (European University Institute)"

And here is the wiki adress

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-democracy

Do yourself a favor, read it, understand it and do some more research on the internet.
    Understand why and how SOPA oder Megupload can happen, this is important.

18. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    well thanks for saying it anyway..

speaking strictly for myself i
    think you will find us less naive
    about the real world out there
    than we may seem...

but a person may well decide, that
    these real world facts of life have
    have very undesirable consequences..

and if he finds a consensus here, that
    something needs to be done about it,
    so much the better and no harm done,
    in my book..