Ubuntu 16.04 will not boot!!!!!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Enzo Matrix, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix Guest

Well on top of the annoying popping noise (which I hope will not break my speakers, but I can not get an answer from anyone here, so this post is probably a huge waste of my time also) I can not get Ubuntu 16.04 to boot after installing it. I've tried installing the bootloader to the SDA to no avail, then to the SDA1 EFI partition, also to no avail. I really want to use Linux but I need to iron these issues out. Truthfully this forum has rarely given help, mainly sarcastic or plain stupid responses, or quite frankly, none at all. I don't want to create more user accounts in other forums but I will have to if this so called "computer community" doesn't start helping people more.
    NO I do not want to use Windows
    NO I will not purchase another PC
    NO I will not use an older kernel
    NO I will not use BSD
    I WILL use Linux.

2. SSE2

SSE2 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2016
    You will use Linux. but is the GRUB screen appeared? If so, Does it hang on Ubuntu logo with 5 circles changing its colors with the error message? What is the system specs?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix Guest

I don't even get a boot entry for it.

4. SSE2

SSE2 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2016
    So if you want it to show on the boot entry, How did you install Ubuntu? (Wubi or CD-DVD)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    keyword "sda EFI"

look into archlinux efi booting.

only thing i know can work is clover efi bootloader to load linux.

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    A few suggestions:

Use Windows
    Buy a new PC
    Use an older Kernel
    Use BSD

Or my last suggestion, Don't use Linux

Hope that helps

8. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Dear Enzo, linux world is not Ubuntu and period, but far more wide than that.
    1. Ubuntu 16.04 is still beta, so bugs might appear.
    2. What are the specs of your hardware?
    3. Are you trying to dual-boot Ubuntu or is a single installation?
    4. Kernel can be upgraded, so, for example you can install a distro that comes with kernel 3.19, then upgrade to 4.4 or 4.5 or whatever kernel you want.
    5. The responses you get are based on the questions you ask.

P.S. Mary has 3 apples. How old is her pet?

9. SSE2

SSE2 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2016
    OP doesn't want to use BSD, Windows, or downgrade to older kernel or buy a new PC. Ubuntu 16.04 is still in Beta.

10. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    You don't say...

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    SSE, MrMagic is full of....:rolleyes: himself...:biggrin::p:D Don't waste your time...:cool:

Good stuff which will probably work:

ZorinOS
    LXLE
    Ubuntu 15.10, 14.04.4 etc.
    Elementary OS
    Mint, maybe?

I don't use (U)EFI and I have installed Windows 7 first, creating two partitions (C and Data in NTFS), then Ubuntu 15.10, then ZorinOS 11 Ultimate (all 64b, all under EXT4 formatting), with SWAP at the end of the empty, unpartitioned, unformatted space I left for Linux.

As others have asked: what is your HW, what is the procedure etc.?

12. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Off topic:
    FWIW: it's more efficient to have Swap between Root partitions (on HDD's anyway - prob not so much for SSD's)

13. atoxique

atoxique MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2016
    Install Ubuntu 14.04 and stay on it for another month.

Ubuntu 16.04 is buggy. Install it into a VirtualBox VM after installing Ubuntu 14.04.

In a month, guess what? Ubuntu 16.04 will officially release. Yay!

Then you can stop your whinging.

14. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    I can understand why you don't get much assistance. My mother used to say "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar".

Good luck finding someone to help you.