UEFI firmware associated with Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by NikosGr, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Are you guys able to come closer, or do I need to moderate?

@vymrdal
    To help is voluntary. So if you think there is a member which is not able to understand what you try to explain, then refuse to post here at this thread.
    I do not accept abusive language, a harsh tone and much less comments on nationality!!!
    If you decide to reply then do that in a polite way or if you are not able to then simply don't anymore.
    Some members require patience. To become upset is not helpful and the smarter idea is to refuse to reply.

@NikosGr
    You are right forums are here to get help. And MDL is usually known for its helpful members all the more I am surprised what is happening here.
    Anyway I suggest to use the offered help and to read those sources properly. You need to make an effort!!!
    Then refer to them (you may quote the parts) and ask specific simple questions.

And also the same is meant to you: No need to post in a harsh tone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    I will comply Yen because its clearlt to me now that reading Docs requires a big effort and its tedious but also NOT reading them and "ask, try and fail" method its even more tedious task and more time and effort consuming(for me and helpers). Its very exhausting too.

Some Doc-link Reading its inevitable prior of asking.
    Reading will also leave some questions behind but then these questions will be specific and properly asked and with knowledge on the background(aquired by the reading), thus more easily to be explained. Its clear to me now.

Now let me ask you somehting.
    ----------------------------------------
    After reading the Win8 Link about how to UEFI Win8 Install i now know how to perform it myself. But i cannot initiate the UEFI process because:

I still dont understand though what this slipstream version(4 x 32 & 4 x64) has to do with the <F12> Boot Selection Menu.

The Uploader(in the greek torrent site) said that this slipstreamed DVD has been made by nLite but the embedded Windows 8 versions of it remained UnTouched.

That leaves the question as to why since the versions embedded are UnTouched, the <F12> Boot Selection menu only displayes usb/cd/dvd/network as booting methods AND NO UEFI Boot antwhere in that list.

I'am upgrade Windows since i bough a new Lenovo for 14,99$ but still prior of doing that i need the OS Setup first in an UEFI way.

If i was to bough a new Windows 8 Pro x64 Retail DVD would the missing UEFI option appear? and why doesn't now?

It would be nice for all of us to have an explanation on that issue and me starting finally the UEFI 8 Setup.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bolthead

bolthead MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2007
    Yes - probably because the structure of your mix'n'match DVD is not standard.

If you use the instructions in the link in post #14 of this thread you may be able to use that DVD to create a UEFI USB boot drive.

4. blueis300

blueis300 MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    #44 blueis300, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    I read most of the 6 pages and saved the links to do further reading. On post #35 it says you are screwed if you delete the partitions. Again I will do more reading but I did that and screwed myself. I could not use my restore disk provided from Hp as I read and maybe wrong but they are not bootable. I spent most of the night learning about secure boot etc.. What I ended up doing atleast to get backup was boot into a different windows 8 and use windows tools to fix partition/mbr (lol not sure but it worked) then use the restore disks to continue. Since then I have made an image on a different hard drive and plan on keeping multiple. Either on a hard drive or flash drives. The flash drives need to be formatted in other than ntfs. Yes I am reading and trying to figure this out. I called HP and they just want me to send in the computer. As post #35 since it was installed by the manufacturer will I have a problem? I knew the key was different because I use a different win 8 to start and then my restore. So yes I will read but is my basic understanding correct? I did have to go through multiple menus to figure it out.

Yes post #4 signed key as given from original windows 8
    #35 I was screwed but got back up.
    This was because I disabled secure boot?
    I did not see and option to boot from a usb so will have to use the utility. I dont have and iso so will have to create one from my install? Can I create an iso from one of my back up images?

5. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    #45 chris34, Jan 5, 2013

If you got Windows 8 pre-installed on a new laptop the hdd/ssd uses GPT (uefi mode) and not the old MBR (bios based partition table), so don't waste time trying to recover a nonexistent MBR-whatever. If you disabled Secure boot, your new install might be an old legacy BIOS/MBR install.. and what's the point of getting Windows 8 if it's to install it in legacy mode? if you got your OS back up and you couldn't activate it, and it's installed in UEFI mode, try to reinstall it using the recovery DVD you have. If the recovery DVD don't boot make sure you installed the same version of windows 8 (I suppose it was Windows 8 core) and use the "Advanced setup" to recover the initial install that was activated using these DVD. I've never seen recovery DVD that couldn't boot before, so it's kind of weird to read that they don't boot. I haven't seen a Windows 8 recovery disk made by an OEM yet so might be why.

What's up with people deleting the partitions from their brand new laptops? If it's to recover the "lost" space of the boot and MSR partitions, know that this space isn't lost and these partitions are here for a good reason. That's also the reason why you don't format the partitions yourself let windows make these partitions and format them during the install.

and leave Secure Boot/UEFI on if you only have Windows 8 installed. The day you want to boot from another media, say to boot to scan for malware/virus or something like that, just disable Secure boot in the bios/UEFI and make sure that it's set to allow to boot from legacy devices/drives.

6. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012

But the guy in the greek torrent said thet he embedded 8 difff falovros of Win8 in one DVD but yet UNTOUCHED......

I know the process of making an UEFI Win8 Setup but i still need a valid Win8 DVD.

I dont want to buy i new one since my Lenovo Z580 came with "Win8 STD MLT" installed and although i wiped ALL tha partitions out and created only the 3 following of them which up until now i was accustomed to and like to use:

[System Reserve 350MB][Win8 C:][Data Partition] (it had 9 partitions before i wiped them ALL out after booting with GParted)

But that only happend When i turned "Boot Mode to Legacy", so its not an UEFI Win8 Setup.

Yet, my Firmware Interface still says in the System Info screen after hitting <F2> that i have "Win8 STD MLT".

a) Why does STD & MLT mean?
    b) Shouldn't that System Info be cleared or perhaps updated now that i made a new Win8 Setup ?
    c) Why the store i bough Lenovo from didnt also gave me a Win8 Retail DVD or at least a Revovery Image DVD?

7. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    #47 chris34, Jan 5, 2013
    OEM rarely give install/recovery DVD nowadays, you have to make those DVD yourself now. Some OEM even give you blank DVDR to make the recovery media/DVD. Out of the 9 partitions it had one contained the recovery image/files needed for the OEM (re)install of Windows 8. That's surely somewhere in the manual of your laptop but you missed it. If you want your install back to how it was installed when you got the laptop (with W8 OEM actived), now the only option you got is to return the laptop to have Windows 8 reinstalled by the OEM...Or maybe find somebody with the exact same laptop who made a recovery DVD.

here a link to preserve OEM activation that was posted on another recent thread
    forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/40897-How-to-preserve-Windows-8-OEM-Activation-Guide

That's because the OEM hardcoded this in their logo -whatever- to show the possible options (if you still had the original partitions) in their Bios/UEFI.
    err missread. Is your install of Windows 8 activated? Even if not installed in UEFI? if OEM install activate themselves online like mentioned in the post above, reinstall your Windows 8 in UEFI with secure boot again and you'll be set.

8. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012

Yes i have activated my "weird" Win8 installatuon by using "8ctivator v1.0" also found in the same greek torrent site. So yes, its activated.

"if OEM install activate themselves online" ? But this is not an OEM install its a version of Win8 which i found on the net.

"Re-install your Windows 8 in UEFI"? But thats exactly what i cannot do because iam not presentted the UEFI Boot option.

9. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #49 NikosGr, Jan 5, 2013
    (OP)
  10. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    #50 chris34, Jan 5, 2013
    No, I meant automatically and legit activated online without hack or trick like mentioned here:
    forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/40897-How-to-preserve-Windows-8-OEM-Activation-Guide

if you don't have an UEFI option to install, you're trying to install Windows 8 using an USB key that was formatted with NTFS (like when you use the Windows7-USB-DVD-tool) or the junk ISO you downloaded has was badly made and they messed the boot, and it only offers the MBR boot if you burned the iso on a DVD. For your shake get an untouched ISO from MSDN, either in English and install the Greek language pack... or a Greek MSDN iso if there are any out yet. And I mean a real untouched ISO from MSDN not some hacktivated/homemade ISO. If you installed from an USB key, all you need to do is format the key as FAT32 and copy all the install files on it.

here is your problem and I give up trying to fix your problems....

11. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012

So now, instead of worried for the validness of the modifies .ISO (which we still don't know if it created the non-existant uefi boot option)
    i have to ALSO worry about the Rufus App which it might also - by your saying - create this mess?

How can you tell?
    Who controls the Booting options?

a) The motherboard
    b) The Win8 .ISO itself
    c) The way the .ISO was extracted to the USB Flash Drive(call me Rufus)

Why in (c) would want to want to boot in legacy mode?

12. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    #52 chris34, Jan 5, 2013
    lol edited it because thought it was a bit mean, but how well. That's how I felt when I read that he's using some utility to make a bootable USB key. Yes, either UEFI is borked or he's trying to install Windows 8 on a NTFS formated USB key.

BECAUSE RUFUS REFUSES TO make your "bootable" Windows 8 USB key using FAT32 that is needed by the UEFI standard to install Windows 8 in UEFI mode when using an USB key. And for UEFI you do NOT need a MBR like for a bios based install. All the install need is a media formated with the correct file format (if using an USB key) and the UEFI install files on it.

Format your usb key with FAT32 and copy your install files on it the normal way using Explorer... and DO NOT use rufus to do it.

Again, if you had read any of the links that were provided in the thread you would have found this out like 2 days ago.

13. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    I like your stule of explaining things.
    And yes although i read 1 link of what posted i missed the fact that i had to FAT32(and not NTFS) the USB Key because of UEFI standard. Really why UEFI needs the old Fat32 and not the earlier and better NTFS to act upon?
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Iam gonna try now 4 things:

Scenario A:
    -----------
    Format my USB Key as FAT32(using Win8's embedded format)
    Copy Win8 install files(from MSDN .ISO -vymdral link - so to exclude the mess that my modfified ISO might bring up) on it the normal copy/paste way using File Explorer
    Re-Boot and press <F2> to check if an UEFI Setup Option is present

Scenario B:
    -----------
    Format my USB Key as FAT32(using Rufus - which i like most of the other in existance creation of bootable usbs utilities)
    Copy Win8 install files(from MSDN .ISO -vymdral link - so to exclude the mess that my modfified ISO might bring up) using Rufus too.
    Re-Boot and press <F2> to check if an UEFI Setup Option is present

Scenario C:
    ----------
    Scenario A - BUT using my modified .ISO to see if indeed its b0rked.

Scenario D:
    ----------
    Scenario B - BUT using my modified .ISO to see if indeed its b0rked.

I' ll come up with results so we we are ALL benefit from them(especially other retarded members like me).
    Hold On to tours sits please as i need some time trying them ALL.

14. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    if you use rufus to format and copy the files in the iso (aka make the bootable Windows 8 usb key), rufus will refuse to format using FAT32. If you use rufus to ONLY format, it's the same as using explorer to format.

And dude, about the retard, what kind of personality do you think you project when you blatantly refuse to read the links that were posted to help you?

15. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #55 NikosGr, Jan 5, 2013
    (OP)

Why would Rufus accept to ONLY format a usb key as Fat32, but at the same time, would want to
    REFUSE to Format and Copy ISO's contents in a Fat32 way, as a part of of making a bootable creation process?

I did read one of them - missed the Fat32 tip though.
    I don't know if there other members in MDL thinking similarly as i do, BUT i have a feelign that they exist.
    Personally i know many ppl in real life what 'try-and-fail' first, instead of 'read & try-and-fail-much-less'.

A nice side-effect by just 'try-and-fail' method appers clearly in my previous thread where i managed to install Win8 in the 5920g without:

a) Bios Update
    b) External Intel Sata HDD driver loading

Perhaps a 'retarded-innovation' BUT still a solution especially if the above 2 methods fail or don't exist for some reason.

16. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Wouldn't it have been easier to just tell him if you know? Why such a hardass? If you don't want to help just bug out.
    PS the Tread isn't closed. lol :eek:

17. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Dick head reported.
    PS thats you.

18. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #58 NikosGr, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Dont jump to conclusions, i did read the link which I posted, but was about to make the process via Rufus not via diskpart, didnt knew then that Rufus wont allow a creation of a fat32, which i still don't know if it allows ir or not, as we speak, iam about to try it now....

And i already have asked you guys:

"Really why UEFI needs the old Fat32 and not the earlier and better NTFS to act upon?"

Also i just tried Scenario A: Result: Failed

That was:

Scenario A:
    -----------
    Format my USB Key as FAT32(using Win8's embedded format)
    Copy Win8 install files(from MSDN .ISO -vymdral link - so to exclude the mess that my modfified ISO might bring up) on it the normal copy/paste way using File Explorer
    Re-Boot and press <F12> to check if an UEFI Setup Option is present

STILL, NO UEFI SETUP OPTION IN MY LENOVO'S BOOT SELETION.

Need an answer as to WHY this just happened.

19. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    For rufus, why not directly ask the maker of the utility?

for the rest, you don't trial and fail, you trail, fail and ask other to think about the mistake you did withholding 3/4 of the information. If you want to grow a brain and real trial-fail skills, you need to stop asking on forums... and if you want people take you seriously, post all the information about what you did and state clearly that you like to do stuff *your way* regardless of what people will tell you. This way you won't drive most of the people who tried to help you crazy.

Pii, read the whole thread instead on jumping on assumptions and wildly reporting people who got upset at the dude who doesn't give a damn about the help others offered him.

20. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012