Undocumented INSYDE BIOS recovery method.-Use andy's tool to obtain possible names.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by levonisyas, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Shaharyar

Shaharyar MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2020
    Hi all
    I have Acer aspire V7-482PG. I need .FD file to flash my bios.
    I downloaded and extracted the ZRQ_230.exe file which i downloaded from Acer website but there is no .FD file in it.
    Can any one help me please...

2. vpush

vpush MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2020
    There are 13 .ROM files in the insyde extract, how do you decide which .ROM to take.
    System : Ideapad 310-15ISK

3. apereda

apereda MDL Novice

Apr 7, 2020
    I just bricked my Acer Swift 1. Upgraded to the latest firmware per Acer's website (1.11) and windows won't start. Constant 'repair/restart' loop. Tried to downgrade with the UI back to 1.03 and upon doing that, the computer never booted again. Blank screen.
    Tried various methods, Phoneix extractor, etc . Couldn't find a .fd file, it's either isflash.bin or whatever bunch of .BIOS files the 'SLIC' program spits out. Converted the file with the 'extract.exe', copied it back to a usb drive, Fn+Esc. Win+B.. but it doesn't work.
    I'm out of options here.. and it's all because I wanted to always have the latest BIOS version.. Wrong move.

4. mrhamed

mrhamed MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2016
  5. halsito915

halsito915 MDL Novice

May 12, 2020
    Hi All, this seems a useful thread and I need some help.

TL;DR - I need to recover a Lenovo Ideapad Z500. It boots, with black screen, it beeps once (as in a regular boot) and that's all. I'm trying to restore the official Lenovo BIOS (Insyde's 71cn51ww.exe) and the method unplug + (Fn+B/R) + plug + power on wants to work, but after accessing the USB with the BIOS file (extracted from the exe file) on it, nothing happens. I think the BIOS file name may be wrong, but Andy's tool says VIWZ1.bi? and nothing happens with the names VIWZ1.bi, VIWZ1.bin, VIWZ1.fd, VIWZ1.rom or VIWZ1.wph (uppercase and lowercase variants). And at this point I don't know how to get the magic name.

Long version:
    I messed up with the BIOS after having some troubles starting Windows 10. After that, the screen was just black on boot. Within the BIOS interface, I managed to do blindly a F9 + F10 to restore the default settings and I think that it succeeded because now on boot the laptop beeps once again (something that I disabled long time ago). But still that didn't fix the issue and the screen is still black on boot.

Before the Windows 10 problem occurred, the laptop was working long time just fine, first with the official Lenovo BIOS and later with a modified/whitelisted BIOS (file name advwl.bin) to use a different wifi card.

But after the current state of black screen on boot, all the attempts of restoring a working BIOS have been useless. As I said, the attempts to use the Fn+B/R method seems to do something at the beginning, but nothing happens at the end. And I tried both BIOS files, the original from Lenovo and the one modified/whitelisted. Nothing. I tried also creating a bootable USB with FreeDOS to update the BIOS from there with a BAT script, but it doesn't work either. I can't confirm even if the script starts because with the black screen I'm not sure whether the laptop is booting from the USB or not (and the bootable USB works just fine in a different computer).

I guess the same solution would apply to these Lenovo IdeaPad models: Z400, Z400 Touch, Z500, Z500 Touch, P400 Touch, P500 and P500 Touch, but I haven't found any other significantly different instructions to follow.

Any help would be highly appreciated! Thanks!

6. vacalouca

vacalouca MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2016
  7. Prowhiz

Prowhiz MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2020
  8. Rberg91

Rberg91 MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2020
    Hi, I am trying to find the name for the Lenovo 320s-14IKB laptop, model 81BN, but I am at a loss. I have the BIOS ROM file extracted, from the 4QCN51WW version. Can anyone help me out please?

9. Rberg91

Rberg91 MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2020
    Yeah, I did read yours. Hoped you had figured it out. I can't get my usb stick to blink as if it's working. Winkey + R makes the charging light turn on, but the usb drive is not blinking. Any other key combination starts the laptop, turns it off and starts it again, but no blinking. Am I doing something wrong?

10. Prowhiz

Prowhiz MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2020
    Did you hold FN+R while pushing the power button? From what I've read so far FN+R is the combination for for the more recent Lenovo laptops. And my laptop seemed to have responded to that combination whereas the other combos didn't work. I could have just pushed the power button for all the good they did.

11. Izoel

Izoel MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2020
    Hello, my Lenovo Z410 doesn't power up, just power led lit but no fan and blank display after changed wrong bios setting, anyone knows recovery combination key for Lenovo Z410?

12. Rberg91

Rberg91 MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2020
    Thank you for your help. I ended up buying a CH341A programmer and flashing the bios directly onto the chip. HOWEVER, I noticed I was using the wrong file, so my laptop would probably have accepted the usb if I had used the right one. I used a rom file at first, but the correct file was an fd file i created with the rom file using command prompt. FN + R was the right combo for my Lenovo. But hey, the laptop is up and running again, so I am happy.