Use Intel NIC PXE image mod for 2.1 SLIC?

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by SirSilentBob, Aug 25, 2009.

1. SirSilentBob

SirSilentBob MDL Senior Member

Jun 5, 2009
    #61 SirSilentBob, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
    (OP)
    I can not say for complete certainty, but I would say its almost a definite it will work with the original modified ROM linked to in the first post that was made/modified by truthinjection. I have used it successfully on several Pro/1000GT cards with no issues. If for some reason your device IDs are different, from you having a slightly newer or older revision card, then it may not work but you will be able to restore as long as you save the original rom. Even if you forget, you can always "update" the card to the latest PXE and be back to normal again. I do not think device IDs change with minor revisions/versions of a particular type of hardware. Please try it. The thing to remember is the boot code/PXE is separate from the normal operations of the NIC, so if it does not work, you won't lose network connectivity. The worst that will happen is you will just have to run the IBAUtil.exe and use the update command to restore a working PXE to the card if the SLIC mod doesn't work. Its a relatively safe process. Unlike flashing uncertain data to a bios, which will stop you from booting! :p Please let us know how it goes for you, and enjoy the 2.1 SLIC and your oem activated vista/win7 if it does!

Note that if it doesn't work, you can use truthinjection's translated files and info from his post #58 to modify the ROM with the correct IDs to work for you!

2. SirSilentBob

Jun 5, 2009
    Thanks for the praise. Your Windows 7 UAP looks very interesting as well! I'll take a look into it, as I was saying the other day, "I wish there was a tool for people with SLICed BIOSes that simply installed keys, certs and OEM logos, and didn't have loader crap integrated." Basically something that I can safely refer friends to use to activate their SLIC modded systems I modded for them without them accidentally clicking on/installing some damn loader!

3. thuvn205

thuvn205 MDL Novice

May 11, 2008
    It looks great idea comes from great people here and I also hope you could think or generate an idea of flashing the SLIC2.1 to an USB pen so that we can pick n plus n play any machine we like, ao mabe Iam mad with it. ;)

4. Orbiting234

Orbiting234 MDL Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Not at all. I didn't change it since I used the 00'd out one.

5. 07ee17

07ee17 MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2009
    #65 07ee17, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  6. SirSilentBob

Jun 5, 2009
    #66 SirSilentBob, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  7. Serxavi

Serxavi MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2008
    My try report:

NIC card used: Intel Pro/100+ Management Adapter
    Vendor ID: 8086
    Device ID: 1229

Test 1:
    MOBO: intel server N440BX (old server motherboard)
    BIOS: Phoenix (last bios date is 01/21/2000)

Normal:
    First Boot Device: NIC flashed with last Intel Boot Agent
    Second Boot Device: Hard Drive
    After power on, the server try NIC's boot a few seconds, then Hard Drive's boot.

Slic Moded:
    First Boot Device: NIC flashed with Slic moded file ("SLIC Mod")
    After power on, it bluescreens "The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor for an updated BIOS"

Test 2:
    MOBO: intel Desktop DX58SO
    BIOS: Intel

Normal:
    First Boot Device: NIC flashed with last Intel Boot Agent
    After power on, the server try NIC's boot a few seconds, then Hard Drive's boot.

Slic Moded:
    First Boot Device: NIC flashed with Slic moded file ("SLIC Mod")
    After power on, it stop with blink cursor in top left corner.

My conclusion:
    The Vendor and Device Ids are needed to NIC validate the flash rom file and NIC's ROM restore, but not enough to insert a working SLIC table. Maybe the differents NICs, mobos and bios models produce differents results.

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Of course the vendor and device Ids need to be corrected to your own personal NIC. Also the 8 bit sum finally needs to be corrected.
    This is needed to call the SLIC code instead of the LAN boot agent.
    The biosroutine jumps originally to the boot agent when set to enabled and to first priority.

The 'SLIC insertion' routine needs to be improved.....the different bioses / hardware to be initialised at boot are responsible therefore a SLIC insertion may fail
    You my try your SLIC-NIC at different PC's..at one it can work, at the other it doesn't!.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. 07ee17

07ee17 MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2009
    i wanna ask some questions........
    do i have to place created .bin in flash drive too, or just those two files only(.exe, .IBA)
    can i mod NIC other than intel??
    If intel, then only correcting DEV ID and PRODUCT ID is enough or i have to do something else???
    waiting for response.....
    seems amazing, wanna try it for my intel mobo DQ35JO.

10. SirSilentBob

Jun 5, 2009
    Well for Intel NICs you will need the IBAUtil to flash the card, and yes of course you will need your modified ROM file (which you will need to rename accordingly as the guide states. You'll also need the extension to be .IBA. Remember, you're going to rename the file according to what the IBAUtil uses for a file name for the backup. The particular script can also work with Broadcom NICs, as far as I know. Same thing for them, Vendor & Dev IDs need corrected. I have not tested the script on anything than several Intel NICs. I don't have any broadcom or any other adapters to test with, so I can't say how well it will work on them. It is supposed to be the same process.

Just be careful since your working with an onboard NIC, and remember the possibility that it might not have a flash chip that would allow you to load a modified rom....

11. 07ee17

07ee17 MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2009
    #71 07ee17, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
    I do not completely understand. i am asking that which files do i need to place on usb:
    1-IBAUtil.exe 305KB
    2-add_slic-translated.bin 2KB (created by me by changing id's)
    3-MOD.iba 2KB(supplied by you in attachment)
    or i have to rename add_slic-translated.bin to MOD.iba
    by ROM you mean add_slic-translated.bin or something else??

One thing more.... If i have to download ROM file and to patch this .bin file then how can i do this? and
    for bootable usb should i simply copy these files to it (usb has FAT32)

12. digimanuk

digimanuk MDL Junior Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Hi,. Just a Question ...

do you know if this will work on the Intel Pro 1000 CT (pci-e)....?

13. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    How about you try? And then tell us?
    It might (or might not)

sebus

14. 07ee17

07ee17 MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2009
    @sirsilentbob
    please answer my queries at post #73
    i also wanna ask about what to do with the add_slic-translated.bin file, since you did not describe what to do with it after creating in your guide,
    and is this add_slic-translated.bin specifically for intel NIC's or this can be used for any other NIC.
    please reply soon.

15. 07ee17

07ee17 MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2009
    How can i create a ROM file after creating add_slic-translated.bin ???
    thank you

16. truthinjection

truthinjection MDL Member

Aug 27, 2009
    the add_slic-translated.bin that you produce just needs to be renamed:

vendoriddeviceid.iba

so, for the Pro1000GT: it would be named 8086107c.iba.

Hope that helps,
    -truthinjection

17. 07ee17

07ee17 MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2009
    #77 07ee17, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
    thanks. this answered nearly all my questions.
    one more thing did i have to match the add_slic-translated.bin (2KB) size with the rom that is 16KB. how can i pad this??(2KB to 16KB)

and will this .bin also works for RealTek ROMs i also wanna try it for my RealTek NIC. i have changed ID's but is there any other thing to make it compatible for RealTek.

And thanks for providing help.

18. SirSilentBob

Jun 5, 2009
    You use the IBAUtil.exe in with your modified ROM. Really those are all you need. I should delete the file with the MOD.IBA since everyone will likely have to customize it anyway, and only host the IBAUtil.exe. You will need to format the USB flash to be bootable. There are guides in these forums and online explaining how to do that.

It can be used for any NIC that has a flash chip and is updatable.

When you have created your own bin file using the compiler, it is actually the ROM file. BIN is simply the extension made by the compiler & script.

You should not need to pad it. I have loaded the 2KB file onto Intel NICs that had both a 64KB and 128KB original image already loaded. Just because the original image uses that much does not mean you need to expand the 2KB file to match. Did you get everything figured out? I do have to sleep and work so I can't respond lightning fast all the time but I do my best. Please have a little patience with me.

19. 07ee17

07ee17 MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Sorry for any irritation i've caused to you. Thanks for guiding me. this would really help me. Thanks again.

20. SirSilentBob

Jun 5, 2009
    #80 SirSilentBob, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
    (OP)
    No irritation at all. Just job and sleep calls! :)

Were you able to mod your card and activate your windows 7?

I'm going to work on the guide more in a few days. I need to re-work it. Right now I think it is kinda telling everyone that the MOD.IBA file is a 1 size fits all file, and it is not. I'm just going to have the IBAUtil.exe file hosted for flashing the Intel NICs. If anyone else has any programs for flashing broadcom and other NICs, please post them and I'll include them in the guide as well.