Vista loses activation after s3 sleep on GA-P35-DS4 (1.1)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by nasa, Dec 11, 2007.

1. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    common thread is sp1.......

2. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    so appears its doing something that is new that defeats the softmod and bios mods....

3. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    more looing seems to only affect gigabyte mobos....even those with legit purchased vista ....don't think this us going to be fixed fast...wonder what gigabyte are doing ifferent coming out of s3

4. jonnycab

jonnycab MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2007
    I've got a modded ASRock mobo running an Asus oem and I had similiar trouble this morning. On reboot, straight to reduced functionality.

5. Muntz

Muntz MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2007
    It doesn't sound like you have the same problem. If I reboot, it is activated again until I resume again from S3 sleep. When I resume it seems to have a random number of days until it needs to be activated. When I first posted it was 3 days until automatic activation. Yesterday it was 9 days. Very strange.

Hopefully we can get this fixed soon.. or at least figure out why it is happening.

6. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    can't see anyone doing anything about it.....

7. Cythrawl

Cythrawl MDL Junior Member

May 12, 2007
    And they wont until the final SP1 is out. After all anything they do to "get round it" will just be gotten round again when the final is out..

My advice is to not install SP1. Wait till final is out... Then wait a few weeks while the hackers in China work out what needs to be changed and the BIOS mod will be re-written on how its done... THen install newer modded BIOS, and then SP1..

Really there is no need for SP1 now until the final code.. you can get most of the hotfixes it installs elsewhere for now..

8. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    well without sp1 my machine will not boot reliably so there is no choice for me

9. Cythrawl

Cythrawl MDL Junior Member

May 12, 2007
  10. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    2 things i'm not complaining about vista merely commenting.

yes i know its sp1 because you uninstall it and everything works perfectly.

yes i know that my pc will not run vista x64 reliably without sp1..... do i have anything weird no....

ga-965p-ds3 rev 3.3
    4g kingston ram which runs for 5days continuously on memtest86 (4x1g)
    ga 7900gs

and thats it. without sp1 it boots once in 10 attempts with sp1 it boots all the time. ga even tried to fix the issue and produced a few new beta bios's for it but none of them solved the issue. I can take the ram and the video install them into an asus board and no probs.

have a look on neowin for issues regarding ga boards and 4 sticks on ram and vista...you will find alot of ppl giving up on ga ...seems to only work with 2 sticks.

happy for you to read all the posts on anatech,neowin,kezs etc and provide a solution for everyone if you can.

11. techtype

techtype MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2007
    OK, I've resisted commenting on this, but you finally got me. I have the same board, 4 sticks of Crucial (4 gig), Vista64 without SP1 and zero problems. I did test SP1 on this board and got the activation problem after sleep. It's a bug that will be fixed ---- end of story.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It's Microsofts' or Gigabytes' turn.

Something is messed up with ACPI tables. (They handle sleep states as well). There is no code to prevent bios mods so far. Also RF mode will be removed at SP1 final. No need to worry about till the release of SP1 final.

Yen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Yen, totally agree. Same board (965p-ds3 rev3.3) will not boot vista reliably either. Gigabyte had about 4 attempts of fixing it with bios mods....and since there turn around time is like 2-3weeks this represented months....in the end i gave in like others and swapped to an asus board....no issues there. When sp1 came out i thought i'd try the ds3 again...and it nows boots reliably...so ms fixed 1 issue on it....the sleep issue remains.

not a big prob because i just go back to asus.

14. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    oh should say i'm not saying all ds3 boards are this way...if your lucky enough to have one that works great for you...there are quite a few however that have issues...its a great board under xp everything works fanastically even with the exact same configuration!

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I think that some users of that Gigabyte boards have already told to m$ about that issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Muntz

Muntz MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2007
    And there is a workaround, at least there is in my case. I simply restart the machine and Vista SP1 is activated again. Once I resume from S3 sleep, it usually gives me between 3 and 9 days before I need to restart the machine to "re-activate" it. Its more of an annoyance right now then a major issue.

17. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    try rearm when its showing up...does it reset to 30?

18. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    as a matter of interest with sp1 17128 you will now find that after sleep the slic becomes an unknown table with a length of 1025bytes....odd

19. techtype

techtype MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2007
    Happiness is a new bios

Try the new F11 bios mod.

20. Muntz

Muntz MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2007
    Just flashed to the new F11 bios mod. I uninstalled the softmod and rebooted. Vista is activated. I put the machine into S3 sleep and resume and Vista is no longer activated. :(