WAT (antipiracy update) released unofficaly....official launch at 17/02

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SoLoR, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    I call FUD on all this

2. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    all the activators works..
    even the RC frankenbuild method works with this update..
    it is probably not the final WAT update.
    validation is not on microsoft servers, you can download anything from MDC, there is no validation checks.
    we all need to wait untill micrsoft will offically implement WAT.

3. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    THe purpose of this update is to facillitate online activation from what it seems. Look at service descriptions etc.

4. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    so this is not WAT at all?
    haha..

btw-
    Hazar, I found a new different bug in removewat, I will tell you about it via pm if I don't forget.
    (aksi mgadiag report invalid license and there is stiill watermark on the desktop)

5. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    What it looks like, this is "WAT to be", once MS makes pages avilable... this is just "client", that cant connect anywhere yet... i went over those links from dll and not all are avilable yet, or they arent returning anything relevant.

6. triggat

triggat MDL Member

Feb 18, 2009
    What this WAT is .....is SQUAT!!!

7. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    i looked at the links last night. one didnt take me anywhere at all nothing happened. so i would say every one thats saying its fake is wrong because it cant do anything if there isnt anything to do

8. pkaji123

pkaji123 MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2009
    May they will surely make some magic in SP1........
    If they make anything,Our Beloved members will find a new technique within some hours........
    I think Daz Already found it

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Uhmm...let's say within some weeks:D:hypo:
    btw: Where is Hung-Kwan? We can make a new deal?:busted_red:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    lol that guy was funny :p most of the stuff he said made no sense to me at all

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Matching the SLIC brand with which OEM? Mainboard manufacturer? There are 'Asus' boards branded by HP with disabled bios options..there are Asus boards with NEC SLICs......all official. What makes an Asus Mainborad to be Asus? The most popular Asus mainboards' bios are prepared to contain a dynamically allocated SLIC (ASUS locked1 and 2), but I never saw a preinstallation on such a board.:confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. pkaji123

pkaji123 MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2009
    :biggrin: :biggrin: He was Really a funny Guy,He even showed us MGA Diag 2.x showing Lenova Key as Non-genuine...
    Where is he,He was a funny M$ spy

13. OEM-USER

OEM-USER Guest

Daz but ms only need the MB-Data from "stolen keys" in the Microsoft-Hardware-Entering-Database! ;)

14. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    @ OEM-USER
    Leaked none OEM-SLP keys yes but I'm just saying theres nothing stopping them from doing it based off hardware too, in fact thats what I would go off and I bet if given the hardware information I could flag near every single modified setup. I'm not saying that will happen though, I'm saying I'm thinking ahead for all possibilities and working on ways around certain things right now. Of course once WAT is "up and running" then we will see what lasts, I just find it better to be public about things and to let people know alternative methods are being thought of and worked on.

An example of my work would be boot sector modification detection, I know how to slip past that totally undetected by any of the applications on here trying to look for that change -- but not just via one method, multiple.

15. TSX2010

TSX2010 MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2009
    This WAT update could be sorted very easily, or not but an idea would be to find out the servers WAT connects to and to block them in the hosts file
    Example: 127.0.0.1 wat.microsoft.com

So in theory your PC could not send/receive any machine IDs so your copy would still be genuine.
    Just an idea, It will probably be nothing.

16. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    MS learned from the hosts trick I think, by putting it all in the OS. but this WAT update certainly changes stuff, as it's a bolt on to the OS. It's quite easy to make the system think an update is already installed through the registry, so the loader devs and so on can easily and safely uninstall it and prevent it from being installed.

17. TSX2010

TSX2010 MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2009
    I would be surprised if they hadn't. An yeah assuming they don't keep releasing new updates, It would be a nightmare to keep up.

18. ennio

ennio Guest

They can't patch a hole in IE6, which is MS product, and now they will compare OEM's and SLIC's. Funny.

19. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    Hazar what part of service pack 1 dont you understand?

20. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It's time for me to make a guess.:biggrin:
    WAT will do:

-Verifies the certificate (must be a newly issued)
    -enchanced OEMID/tableID checks for (more) ACPITables (here the loaders will fail and be disabled, but will be easily to correct.)..probably another OEM check at low memory area where SLP1 string is located..only IF they find a specific string there....
    -some specific checks to detect loaders..not sure if and what kind of...
    -Remove WAT preventions

What WAT won't do:
    -Compare against a database
    -read out chipset IDs or other hardware related IDs to figure if it's a possible valid license or not...