WAT Pushed....This copy of Windows is not genuine.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by deathdr0ne, Mar 7, 2010.

1. deathdr0ne

deathdr0ne MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2007
    I got this message on a media center pc I have. Strange thing was that it was BIOS hard modded. I always thought the whole purpose of modding a BIOS was so that it appeared to be legit. The "Push" was my fault however, as I had it set to update everything (didn't think I had to worry about it) and it came through on March 3rd. Now, I do not believe that I was using the 2KTDD (lenovo) key, but it is possible.

Thoughts anyone? Has anybody else had the same problem with WAT pirate stamping your copy of Windows when using a BIOS mod? If so there must be some other piece of information inside genuine BIOSes that this WAT checks for. I mean there is no way that if all it checks for is a SLIC table that it should detect the mods right?

2. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Best to check your key first.

3. deathdr0ne

deathdr0ne MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2007
    Aye, but that's a problem since I already fixed it. First I rearmed, then used removeWAT, which worked....kind of. I didn't want to rely on a hack though so I replaced WAT, changed the key, reinstalled WAT, and blocked it via local security policy as described in another thread. I didn't bother checking the key, which is why I asked if anyone else had this problem.

4. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Your post is somewhat confusing but i think you are activated now?
    from what i have read, bios modded systems failed WAT only in exceptional cases and that too where a blacklisted key was used or a preactivated dvd was used for the install or a loader being used previously. Dont think any bios mod done as per rule-book failed. And ya, there seems to some bug affecting HP machines but only HP.

5. deathdr0ne

deathdr0ne MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2007
    Sorry if my post was confusing. I could have relayed all the details, but was still in shock I guess. Anyway, ironically the computer is a Compaq (HP bios). Yes I am activated now, and was before even posting this information. I just wanted to know if the Bios mods were failing, if so at what rate, and most importantly why.

I am unsure of the method used as I got the Bios from here. It was listed as being for another machine, but the Compaq SR1750NX I put it on has the exact same motherboard (ASUS-AmberineM-LE or something like that).

I did the bios myself for SLIC 2.0 with Vista, but when I found that 7 needed SLIC 2.1 I didn't feel like hunting down everything so just did a google search via site:mydigitallife.net Asus-Amberine and found that a user here had posted one. A user that I guess is no longer active? Anyway, it worked great until last night when I flipped on the tv to see the WAT message. It was running fine for the past month and a half.

Perhaps it's just that the system is hp based? When I did my mod I used the Asus Slic information, because HP slic was still unknown at the time. (see my forum join date). Maybe the modder used one of the automated slic insertion tools.... I really don't know.

6. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    see another hp system failed

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    My HP 6510b (business notebook) that came with XP havent failed and its just using a loader, passed the validation site perfect.

Altho computer nor laptop has recieved the wat update...

8. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    In some cases, OEM HPs are reporting multiple corrupted spp files, per mgadiag log. Replacing these with good versions from the install dvd, then revalidating helps. but deathdr0ne probably used an rtm iso downloaded from here.

9. deathdr0ne

deathdr0ne MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2007
    Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I was quite busy with other things...check my forum post count, and you'll see I don't spare much time to the forum. Anyway, I did not get a 7 copy from here. I used the copy I got from Msdnaa, after editing out that one file (ei.cfg?) to make it a multi-edition copy instead of being locked on to 7 Professional.

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Biosmods (still) are safe. We are keeping an eye on WAT. All reported issues were not bios related...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...