What do you think about Electric Cars?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 24, 2017.

?

Will your next car be electric?

1. My next car will be electric

2. I’ll wait several years for prices to drop

3. I’m not convinced by them, I’ll buy conventional

4. I am undecided, far more info is required

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I think that florescent bulbs work differently that incandescent and led lights. I have seen very old video's of Tesla holding a florescent light while being in a charged atmosphere and it would light up, Comparing other lights with florescent lamps are like comparing apples to oranges

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The difference is that you have a powerful energy source, the power grid. The electrons are moving back and forth according to their AC frequency.
    Those induce an alternating magnetic field around the grid (which is subject to complaints when it comes to health).
    The magnetic field carries enough energy to let the mercury atoms be fluorescent inside the tubes. The emitted light is usually invisible to humans, but the coating of the tube transfers it to visible light (that's how they work commonly as well).

https://www.larkinweb.co.uk/miscellany/fluorescent_tubes_under_power_lines.html

Despite of scientific facts one can easily unveil a fake experiment by following attributes:
    No info about used parts
    No explanation (attempt)
    No comments from the author.
    No relation to the setup of the experiment.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    #783 Katzenfreund, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
    (OP)
    This well known children’s toy (the Drinking Bird) is the closest I've seen to apparent perpetual motion.​

[​IMG]

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #784 Joe C, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
    I would also consider water falls being very close to perpetual motion too, Some have been running for 1000's of years. Michigan does have a 100 ft waterfall but unfortunately it is on the bottom of Lake Huron

5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    So, Judge MJ, any hint as to the veracity of this claim, based on double blind, no movement, no Star Trek beam of energy, no money taken in any way, no..... experiment? :D :D :D

I mean, has anyone actually "experimented" with magnets like this? :D :D :D

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @gorski: A lot of amateur experimenters tinker around with alternative energy. But their work needs to be well documented and reproducible.
    If not, there's no scientific validity.

Look at the dilemma surrounding Cold-Fusion (LENR).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleischmann–Pons_experiment

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/its-not-cold-fusion-but-its-something/

And finally, this.

https://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/cold_fusion_01

As far as what Yen posted, When you have 1/2 million volts sitting some 100 feet above you, the electromagnetic fields are very strong.
    It was a good post, btw, since Nikola Tesla invented the Fluorescent light bulb. (One of his many inventions that others took credit for.)

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Joe C: An incandescant bulb works by electrically heating a tungsten filament in a vacuum until it is white hot.
    It then produces light.

The fluorescent bulb works by driving a gas into an ionized state and then passing current through the gas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    So, dear Judge, did you have any fun with those pesky magnets? :D

Any levitation news, please? :p

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Water cooling is fine by me, thanx - you can have them and "save the world" in the process... :D

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    https://interestingengineering.com/...riving-electric-vehicles-sooner-than-we-think

17 Experts Explain Why the Whole World Will Be Driving Electric Vehicles Sooner Than We Think

The past few years have seen electric cars move from an ambitious dream to a lucrative reality, and it would seem as though the days of traditional fossil fuel-guzzling vehicles are numbered.

With many countries vowing to phase out their consumption of oil within coming years, and committing to replacing existing vehicles with electric alternatives, it appears that the electric revolution has well and truly begun.

Though the full conversion to all-electric vehicles won't happen overnight, here are just some experts from a variety of different industries and fields who believe the world will be driving electric cars sooner than we think.

12. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    It could happen. The analog that comes to mind are self-driving cars. When I first heard of them, I thought we would have to wait for 20 years before they started materializing. Yet they hit the roads, albeit in experimental form, in 2 years.

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yeah, petrol isn't, a-haaaa... :rolleyes:

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  18. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  19. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  20. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Sure, so rare, in fact, we still have a single battery to see off the production line... :rolleyes: