What do you think about Electric Cars?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 24, 2017.

?

Will your next car be electric?

1. My next car will be electric

2. I’ll wait several years for prices to drop

3. I’m not convinced by them, I’ll buy conventional

4. I am undecided, far more info is required

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    That is the biggest FUD ever - most people can not be "bought" forever, Joe!!!

And this would be because...??? Pray, enlighten us... Some scientific proof, something to insult even a common sense, never mind Reason... pretty please...

If I wanted to - I would have been. As I am not, then I am not there by choice! Perhaps some 4 - 5 decades ago, while the USofA was something decent, where even the Scandinavians went to see how things were done, in a good old fashioned Social Democratic manner... Today - AHAHAHAAAAA!!!! The real joke, sadly, is on you...

You mean, "the thing of beauty" you also salivate over? Ahem... :rolleyes:

But OK, you go on and keep being tribal and I shall continue trying to keep becoming a Human Being!!! ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Damn gorski.... that kinda makes you sound xenophobic. What part being "tirbal" would not be considered human?

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    EVERY bit!!! But "hoping" you'd understand that "being tribal" creates conditions for xenophobia... oh, well... :rolleyes:

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #1045 Joe C, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    American Indians are tribal and they might take offense to your short sighted attitude. Or are you now your starting to turn this into something racists against one particular tribe of people?
    You ought to show some of that intelligence you claim to have and stop making prejudiced comments

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    When one plays dumb and acts dumb to boot... You are either uttelry butterly or just utterly blissfully uniformed about these issues...

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #1047 Joe C, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    But I'm not the one making all the stupid comments :roflmao:

Well...o.k. I am guilty of making some stupid comments but I do not try to offend or belittle any groups, races or tribes of humans living on this planet.

Please continue making posts about the future of ev cars, trucks, planes and trains, where in the near future we will have millions and millions of useless batteries with poisonous materials polluting our landscapes.

8. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    :worthy:

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #1049 Yen, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    I don't think we would have to wait for batteries therefore....

Anyway your pessimism is IMO groundless. Why should recycling not work there?
    Have you ever seen that a 'common' lead battery ever has seriously polluted something?
    Have you ever seen that one's engine oil has become a pollutant?
    There is proper recycling at both.

Sure there are always single idiots throwing such stuff away.
    But a Lithium battery with that high costs?!? You can be sure that you get a replacement far cheaper when returning the old one.
    And you cannot simply dump the battery somewhere since it's major part of the entire car/body itself.

The EV generation has just started and will develop. Just compare combustion engines and their tech history.
    EV's are the future. Maybe not how they are today, but generally.

By saying that yes. Please return to EVs since it's topic.:)

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #1050 Joe C, Jul 9, 2019
    Yen, I know that you know about properties of metals and lead from current automotive batteries are easily recycled because the lead is still useful. Can the same be stated about lithium?
    It is going to be acceptable in this point of time that it is better to replace the car instead of getting a new battery. This web site suggests there will be over 11 million tons of used ev batteries. Some will be recycled but over all it does not look pretty.
    https://www.fleetcarma.com/electric-vehicle-batteries-reused-recycled/
    Do not over look the slave labor in Africa to mine cobalt
    Can you afford a new car every 5 yrs because your battery is dead? I'm not sure what new cars sell for where your at but you'll need to cough up about $20,000 or more for a new car (ev) Manufactures will have to start "leasing" or "renting" more cars because regular folks won't be able to pay for this new tech. Personally I know of many people that tried the "car lease" option and everybody I know has always has very negative views about auto leasing (state: I'll never do that again") It is a ploy to trick you into getting a car you can't afford in the first place, and it is the "return charges" that get you in the end from those dealerships

11. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Joe C: It's almost always the mileage cap that gets them. ;)

Leasing is a good option if you have a corporation and you really understand the mechanism of leasing.
    The average consumer files the 1040 EZ form and looks for as little complication as possible.
    If you own a house, then you do a long form, and more than likely use an accountant.

EVs are not mature enough (In America (!!!) ) to make them practical enough for everyone.

It's not about the tech, or whether or not the concept is plausible, it's about finances, and who can afford the tech.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #1052 Yen, Jul 9, 2019
    I respect everybody's personal opinion and assessment. It's dependent on local economical / social / political factors / country of residence / and literature sources to read...etc.etc...etc...

I am of course not a fortune teller....but I compare processes and assign similar dynamics to it.

There will be a momentum where EVs turn into a real successor of combustion engines for the masses when it comes to 'daily distances'. Either own car or public transport.
    Recycling has also to build a momentum (as other processes teaches us) at which it gets profitable.
    A new tech is firstly meant for a few people only. This is a general rule.

Those 'few' are responsible that there can be enough momentum at all. (And if it's not enough the new tech won't become established. But I don't think so.)

The EV rate / ratio will develop different at different nations.

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yeah... except that 'moment' (daily usage) is already here, as well proven above...

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #1054 Yen, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Yes. At some European countries it is already.
    It also depends on subsidies of government. A friend who is French has the 3rd one already.

In France you get far more than in Germany for instance.

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    So.... your currently driving an ev car yourself?

16. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    wow this thread doesnt seem to go away...the battle of the TITANS Gas Vs Electric ;)

17. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    And then they will tell us electic cars are banned because they use rare earth metals and dangerous chemicals so we will have to buy potato powered cars, then they will invent an excuse why we will no longer be able to use potato's so they will tell us to buy poo powered cars and then they will invent an excuse why we will no longer be able to use poo powered cars. By then this world will be so automated no one will be able to buy the sodding cars anyway.

Im just waiting for some overpaid prick of a government advisor to invent an excuse why we will no longer be able to use bicycles.

18. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    wait a minute poo cars will contaminate the air with to much methane and dont forget the smell of caca poo poo;)

19. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I am truly not against using some other method of transportation other than petro. But I am against the method that they want to use lithium battery powered cars.
    In my younger day's I worked for a propane company and all of their vehicles ran on L.P. It had much lower horse power but they ran o.k. Even the larger bulk trucks were on L.P. Natural gas is still another option too. I believe that Fuel Cell tech (hydrogen power) should be researched more also.
    Lithium batteries should not be the only solution for a cleaner atmosphere. If you take into account production and waste removal it's probably not any better than gasoline, as far as being "Green" in concerned
    Today.... I suspect that Lithium Ion batteries are the most economical and that's what industry is after. The head honcho's at Ford, GM and other EU countries are probably drooling at the prospect of making somebody buy another car every 5 years

20. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #1060 gorski, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Argh... some of yous do NOT have elementary facts in order...

Starting from Norway onwards to the US and its infrastructure, to variety of batteries, to.... arghhhh....