What is the meaning of life?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by sid_16, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I am sorry, no. Wisdom is boring. :D :biggrin:
    There are people thinking the answers of essential questions must be fascinating, special, extraordinary.
    It is the simplicity of things that is overwhelming.
    When putting this simplicity into words then it becomes complex...

OK for you some thoughts: :biggrin:

From my life I can tell that I could not accept that I was born and I have to go one day. I had bad dreams when I was a child...experiencing the (thought) inescapability of death. So I suffered....sometimes I had fear the entire night and could not fall asleep.....
    But I 'believed' in something that is able to relieve that suffer. It cannot be that I or humans generally are born into a misery.....
    This basic matter became a major thing in my future life and still is. It became manifest in a huge talent in Chemistry (answers how products are created from reagents) and a strong interest in culture / belief / travel / spirituality....

So I'd say if I have to assign a meaning to life it is to figure how suffer is created and why and how I create suffer to other people.....by doing that all other 'essential' questions will get their answers.....

But when having an (fixed) idea of the meaning of life one is restricted to this idea, yes it even can become a constraint in life...(I have to get a job, I have to get a house, I have to get a family, I have to be 'somebody'....)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    Yen sir, sometimes the problem is not with the questions we ask but the kind of answers we get.:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. moon510

moon510 MDL Junior Member

May 10, 2007
    #43 moon510, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    Many things can bring meaning to life. It's very individual matter. It cannot be said what it is, but it is revealed in life's situations. Hence, people sometimes say that something is meaningful to them but they don't know why. It is dangerous for the mind to exist without the feeling that there is smethning that is meaningful to it. To live without some kind of meaning for some time can bring you to a state of depression. Every single depreseed person says: "LIfe is meaningless." And every single depresed person has a problem with insomnia. He cannot fall asleep and into a world of dreams. And what are dreams? Mystery that brings pure meaning, free of reason. Many peaople think that reason is enough. It's not. Americans have their "American dream". The whole nation gets its identity from a meaningful dream, not from reality. That's how I think and it sounds meaningful to me. You see? :)

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes.
    And I like the bold words. :)

5. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Life is about perspective , if you want it to be poop it will be and if you want it to be good it will. If you are contented wih what you have then it will make life a hell of a lot better.

6. ll Itachi ll

ll Itachi ll MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2012
    #46 ll Itachi ll, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
    Well, if you want to think spiritually then here is my answer.
    OP, You are from India and I hope you understad what I am saying. But others will make fun, I know.:cool:

Life is all about understanding ultimate truth with enjoying all emotions and situations and let it go.
    Its said that we are created by Gods. We get human life after 84 lakhs birth into another species.
    We have to attain true piece ( The Mukti/Moksha ) and get rid of this life and get mixed into Good in the end. This can be done easily in Human Life.
    In this process we help one soul to come in human life and we call them our Children.
    They also do the same. And this cycle continues.

There are souls running behind Human Life and in that race one who wins gets the birth in Human World.
    Its a never ending process. If it ends then its called as end of the world. And again starts from Adam and Eve. :laie:

Maybe,That's the reason why there is population increased and there are animal species are getting eliminated. :p

Sorry for my spell mistakes.:D

Edit : Just saw , no spiritual stuff somewhere in reply after posting this much. Sorry:rip:

7. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    #47 msr, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
    No, you all have energy and you are all born with a certain amount of it. Its upto you what you do with that energy, but once that energy is gone your gone. Its why some die early and some life along time. We are all given a certain amount when we are born, and you do with it what you want.

Thats all the meaning of life is.

There is no other meaning to your life than that.

So all you people whom say why some die young, its just they where born with not as much energy as others. People whom live along time, have lots of that energy. Sad but that the nature of the universe.

Yep i do believe there is an ultimate creator. I do believe there is a god.
    But i think your given a certain amount of energy to use during your life, and thats it. When its gone you cannot get better from disease and you die.

The people running 1st world countries know this, and thats why they get you obsessed with rubbish that will dwindle your energy. So your not focusing on anything important like how the world is run.

Remember them who run our world are just like us, beings of energy, but they know how to focus it.

8. blue dragons

blue dragons MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2013
    Reproduction & Survive, as long as you can. Let it be! ;)

9. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    "What is the meaning of life?"

Bacon.

10. blue dragons

blue dragons MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2013
    @'ll Itachi ll' Stone the crows! 'spiritual humbug' There is not a shred of evidence. ;) @MrMagic if ..., then ... #bacon and eggs :)

11. Galileo Figaro

Galileo Figaro MDL Junior Member

Sep 6, 2010
    #51 Galileo Figaro, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
    Nobody has yet replied; "42"?

According to the ancient Greeks, the meaning of life is to become yourself, to be who you are.
    You will get there by struggling to become a good person.

And the definition of a good person is someone who posesses the four classic greek qualities;
    Wisdom, courage, fairness, and moderation.

If you are a Christian, three more qualities are added; love, hope and faith (like those pendants with a heart, an anchor and a cross).

Now, that wasn't so hard, was it?

12. Arachnoid

Arachnoid MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2010
    Life is like a pair of well worn shoes
    Either its worn in or its worn out

13. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    That's the answer to "The Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe and Everything"(TM) which is not necessarily the same thing as "the meaning of life."

The question itself, of course, is "What do you get when you multiply 6 by 9?"

Had I been asked this on a Thursday, I don't know if I could've handled it.

14. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    6 x 9 = 54 ... :eek:

15. webbjames

webbjames MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2013
    Love And Cruelty On Our Lives.
    Love gives meaning to our lives – as do friendship, or art or faith in God. These are factors of true happiness, of inner peace, of feelings of harmony, allowing meaning to our existence.But there is the other side. There is the cruelty of life, the pain, the evil, not to talk of death. They are the hidden tigers, ambushed and ready to attack the imprudent, to use an image present in the Buddhist Scriptures.

16. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Indeed, yet the answer is 42. Explains why things are so screwed up.

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It reminds me of the Zen meaning of a Kōan. The 'sense' doesn't follow logic and discursive thinking.

Anyway 'the riddle' resolves when one (has got satori) / has become enlightened (lives conform to the original meaning of life).

The story (book) of 42 is different, though. The answer(result) had been calculated at a time the people had already forgotten what the original question was at all...and the answer addressed all individuals whereas a Kōan is meant to be for one person only.....

Both in common have a way that is beyond mind and that is IMO right, the meaning of life is beyond mind, but communicable by revealing nescience.

If you look after famous Kōan you'll get something like:

"How can you escape from an inescapable net?"

Or like these 2:

Got the answer :D ?

18. adlen

adlen MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2013
    According to me,
    life is

To live as you like ,
    Having job as you like,
    Tours where you want to go
    Fun with friends
    And at the last and most important thing in life having a best home with all living facilities.

19. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    The meaning of life is to have a life of meaning.

20. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    ...says Hitler...:rolleyes::biggrin::D