What is the meaning of life?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by sid_16, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    :rolleyes::thinking:...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Any and anyone claims.
    Also in these cases.
    I already know this and I agree, fully.

I want to make clear that my previous post is meant to agree with @Yen 's comment.

3. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #603 ipx, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2022

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    It is available on TPB SE01 dwnld

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #605 ipx, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2022

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    "Messiah" addresses that, also related to different people / people's belief. That's why it's an exciting series.
    It also addresses you -the viewer- it makes you think about: Would you be able to recognize 'a Messiah' at all. :)

7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    #607 Tiger-1, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    yep myself download also is "only" 14GB ;):D

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I doubt everything. It's essential for a modern Human being! ESPECIALLY when it comes to "religious matters"! Agnosticism avoids the "fight to the death" between theists and atheists, which by definition is futile. We turn to this world, what we actually do and what we can do in it, in a responsible manner, trying to develop and deploy our potential for temporal intelligence as well, i.e. a rational relationship with our body, other Humans and Mother Nature.

Speak for yourself, please. I question everything, look for information, educate myself, keep changing my "habits" along the way, my experiences are always informed by best progressive principles Humanity has evolved thus far, my gut feeling has also been continually tested and informed by my wider and deeper understanding of issues, i.e. where the Hell did dialectics vanish in all this, Yen?

My sole "belief" in this context is in our potential to come up with creative solutions to our problems...

Well put: "AFAYK", ergo doubt is implied and healthy...

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #609 Yen, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    I do not question / doubt what you say and do in your life. I only wonder what exactly is effect of a real evidence based idea / decision and how often does it really play a role in one's life.

'Evidence' frequently is cried out by lots of people in order to fight what they dislike. They are not able to recognize 'evidence' some even do not know what it really is.

For them it's actually just a means to defend a personal opinion. "There is no scientific evidence!" as argument to disprove.

In other words 'evidence' is commonly opinion. The individual itself decides what's (personally) evident and what not.

P.S.: (Just a personal remark...actually for myself lol)
    Besides of that the German meaning of "Evidenz" is quite different. That what's evident needs no proof at all. For instance." A true statement cannot be false" This sentence is evident.

10. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    their is no meaning to life we have no clue why were even here....just be happy and enjoy what u have is a very short ride then is over....the rest is all BS created by our minds.

11. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    dude stop talking like if u know....u know what i know and that is nothing we dont know s**t.

12. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I reckon when you die..... You'll know!
    Although it would be one hellava way to find out.....:evil2:

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    DP by mistake...

14. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #614 gorski, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2020
    EDITED by ancestor(v)

Yen, that is conservative "understanding" and misuse of the notion of "evidence", as in "used for bashing other people's "evidence" or "experience" or well grounded "suspicions", to avert the need to change anything"... A power game, if you will, until it's too late - just because they did not want to err on the side of caution, something many a politician and scientist are not ready to do, usually for the sake of profit...

On the other hand, I am no fan of scientism, either - we do not need a replacement for religion... A critical attitude to everything is a must!

15. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #615 Mr.X, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2020
    Fully agree with you.
    Amen.

EDIT by ancestor(v):
    insults removed

16. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    No, it isn't. It is an appropriate critique of a nasty post by him. The one you did not critique. Interestingly...

Moreover, you are abusive! The word you used is intensely ABUSIVE!!! WITHDRAW IT NOW!!!!

17. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    No it is not. In fact you've been moderated too! roflao.

18. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    AHHHH!!!

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #619 Yen, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    IMHO this is very important....it finally is about to recognize what 'really (in reality) goes wrong' also related to pollution etc etc...

I think it is human to 'misuse' evidence to get own benefit!
    That's why I posted "it's remarkable that people claim for evidence when it comes to religious matters".... 'they' claim for it because they dislike at first place. (This applies also to people who 'dislike' the existence of environmental changes / damage). A denial.

Besides of that humans are 'Bayesians'. (ref: Thomas Bayes).
    We tend to confirm our prejudices / pre-opinion. We insist on it. We are (unaware) looking for information which can / does confirm our (pre-)opinion whilst we ignore / are blind for information which can / does disprove / question it.

A real evidence based change of opinion / change of mind does actually never happen....

A change happens by individual perception which is coloured by what we 'already personally know about' and that is not scientific at all.

20. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    and thus we are all living happily ever after in googles`bubble.. but it is hardly an excuse for google to exist at all. .:)
    or for us to let ourselves be fooled by it..:whistling: