What opens IMC (phoenix BIOS for a Lenovo)?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by tin, Nov 24, 2009.

1. tin

tin MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2009
    Short version: I need to edit a WiFi card whitelist in a Lenovo BIOS, and it's an IMC file. Phoenix BIOS Edit Pro says it's the wrong size and won't open.

Longer version:
    Lenovo chose to restrict what WiFi cards can be used in a laptop I have. They also chose to ship laptops to Australia with USA wifi cards (MOW1). Combining this with Intel's retarded decision to have the region hard coded, I'm left unable to connect to access points on channel 12 and 13 using this laptop. I spent over half an hour attempting to connect to an AP at a conference center on the weekend, only to discover this crazy situation.
    As I have a spare ROW card, I figured I could use that, only of course it's not blessed by Lenovo, so I need to edit the list.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Post a link to it. I probably can disable the entire whitelist check....IMC? Hmm...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tin

tin MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2009
    download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/66et60ww.iso

It's a "blank" bootable ISO using floppy emulation, so you need to first extract the floppy image, then extract the file(s) from it. This is sadly the only available BIOS update download.

My assumption from it's behaviour is that it has a standard ROM module (like any other PXE, RAID, etc module) that just does the check. Is this what you're thinking too?

Edit: I had to make the URL non-linked (and disguised a bit) because the forums don't trust me :p

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The forums trust you.:) It's an installed anti spam feature that allows to post links after the second post only.

I'll have a look at it and reply later...I'm @work now......;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I have checked it. The IMC file is a phoenix bios, new structure....I'll have a look tomorrow if I can remove the whitelist checks.

Do you want SLIC2.1 also?;)

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  7. kasperlindvig

kasperlindvig MDL Novice

May 22, 2010
    Hi Yen
    How did you remove the whitelist check?
    I have a T41 with BIOS = 1RETDRWW and would like to remove the whitelist from that file myself. Could you help?

Kasper

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007