Where is the Phoenix bios mod tool?--IT'S OUT NOW!

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by zerka, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaiilee

chaiilee MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
  2. weinter

weinter MDL Senior Member

Feb 19, 2009
    #62 weinter, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    If I remember correctly it is because they had issues with hex for hex replacement with the SLIC Table hence they needed to invalidate the original and redirect it to a artificially inserted one.

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes that's right. Sometimes the bios is prepared to have a SLIC. Anyway there could be zero fill routines or marker areas which cannot be updated. At that case the best and quickest solution is to rename the table name. SLAC is more similar to SLIC and hence more compressible...
    The tool parses the rwe report and suggests which way is the right one to mod.
    At all cases you'll get a dynamically allocated SLIC.:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sniffynose

sniffynose MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2009
    This tool is looking great, keep up the good work guys! I can't wait to give it a try, as always your work is greatly appreciated!

5. weinter

weinter MDL Senior Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Btw Yen can you enlighten me on how the tool recompresses BIOS that cannot be opened by PBE?

6. billy66bare

billy66bare MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2009
    Nice work, I have a few pos's rolling round if you need another RC tester.

Thanks for the hard work. I personally get sick of calling MS every time I want/need to reinstall.

7. chaiilee

chaiilee MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    What happens if you mod your BIOS without renaming the old table name? Because I can't imagine how renaming the old slic table name would invalidate it and yet, a modded BIOS some how to see the new slic.

Also, kudos to andyp for such a tool. Can't wait to try it out.

8. kocoman

kocoman MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2007
    send me your backup and I can make the 27 byte insert

9. luky

luky MDL Addicted

Dec 21, 2008
    #69 luky, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
    YEN Please how oz. which compress tool .FL1 and .FL2 original Bios Lenovo to get .ROM from which you do modd SLIC 2.1. Sorry my eng...

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The tool needs (probably) final tweaking. No new features will be added.
    It's close to be final...gold.....

Almost every Phoenix module is either uncompressed or LZINT compressed. Andy's tool can handle them all....to recompress, the tool will do it only with the modified modules and writes them to the same offset again. Therefore the sizes must still fit!!!

Recompress:
    New structure: FI / FP.exe
    OLD: Prepare / cartenate.exe

The tool to expand Lenovo *.FL1 bios files is e_bcpvpw.exe.

If you don't rename the old SLIC to e.g. SLAC you'll get 2 SLIC's. The bios of course is still working, but W7/Vista won't activate!!!
    To rename the SLIC to an unspecified table name is the easiest way to disable it!!! It's still there, but disabled (out of order)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. luky

luky MDL Addicted

Dec 21, 2008
    Yen Please tell me where this e_bcpvpw.exe tool to get the download, if you are so kind. Thank you!

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes., well done. * is meant as placeholder to be specified....;)

14. koteskie

koteskie MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2009
    Mod & Flash backed up bios

Hi, will it be possible to mod backed up bios'es and flash them back?
    If so, can you point me to some documentation on how to do that?

Grt.

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The tool cannot create the platform.bin if not present. It depends on the EEPROM chip. You need it, it's supplied by the OEM.

16. Apokrif

Apokrif MDL Addicted

Dec 7, 2008
    @Yen,
    I was wondering, why did you guys decided to go with completely new tool instead of adding new unpack/pack modules/libraries for Phoenix BIOS Editor, to handle Dell BIOS, specifically.
    You, obviously, already know Dell BIOS unpack/pack methods already.
    I guess, it won’t be a big deal to write such a library, if you ever want to, right?

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I'm no programmer, so I cannot say if it would be possible to write libraries for PBE.

To SLIC a bios you need to patch at locations depending on how it is structured. PBE always re-compresses / rebuilds the ENTIRE bios! That makes it not reliable, PBE caused a lot of bricked mainboards already. Also to parse the rwe report is needed to decide the way to mod...
    At a own tool written from scratch you can add what you want and being the author of it, you have full control.
    Also copyright issues (PBE) may be a fact.

18. Apokrif

Apokrif MDL Addicted

Dec 7, 2008
    I thought, it’s “low level editing” or “low level understanding” causing mobo bricking…
    I mean, if you have an advanced tool, you should understand all consequences, right? :cool:

Right, that's a biggie! :rolleyes:

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I think you are mixing up the chronology of development. If you want to realise something you firstly use the tools that are available....THEN you probably have to notice about a bricked Mainboard.
    Then you are doing research....If you notice then that the tool you have used to recreate the bios caused the brick, you will develop another way to a successful mod manually. The bytes that were changed at the uncompressed code are still the same! That happened already (Lenovo way was developed).
    The available PBE version CANNOT handle all the different Phoenix bioses made by different OEMs. The main reason why it bricks is the shift of offsets of modules which have a static addressing...Also PBE complains about the bios size at special bioses and refuses to decompose.

The last step then regarding development is to program a tool that automates your manual approach. As result you'll get an advanced tool.

Chain:
    -something isn't realisable at some special cases
    -research for the reason why
    -find a manual approach
    -automate it

The way to was already developed, but the recreation of the bios using PBE failed, sometimes!