Which Browser is the best?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Happpy, Oct 28, 2010.

1. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Or even better why don't some members search and see if the poll or something similar have been posted before same as our other polls what virus checker is better for example e.c.t.

3. lysy.lbn

lysy.lbn MDL Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Well.. I use Firefox since few years, Nightly releases for now and don't even mind about switch to something else :)

4. unlucky

unlucky MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2012
    I like Chrome for speed, but Firefox is secure!

5. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Maybe it does no good if your running xp or vista :D

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

M$ never complies with specifications. Their ad machinery brainwashes you. Most need to have to program special templates for IE.
    I never would do that, nobody needs IE.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    I agree. But I think IE10 will be available for XP and Vista later.

I don't know, but I am using IE since many years.

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  10. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  11. qaj1shi

qaj1shi MDL Senior Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Mozilla Firefox <3

12. piladang

piladang MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2012
    only use firefox and chrome :p

13. tanjali

tanjali MDL Junior Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I tried all of them, I guess I am one of the ignorant ones, IE9 all the way. :biggrin:

14. mexus

mexus MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2007
    Firefox is the best (not the fastest tho)

15. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #237 acyuta, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
    Some new things that I have noticed with regard to browsers in the past few days:
    1. Google Toolbar for Firefox is no longer available on google search. There is a regret notice. It is there on softpedia though.
    2. Extensions in Chrome no longer show Google Share extension (bu google) which I configured to send from Facebook, Gmail, and Hotmail. Was very useful in sharing pages. Shareaholic is available though.
    3. Google Toolbar for IE and FF no longer has add buttons for Facebook, Wikipedia. Again, a long search enables this.
    4. On first install of chrome, one can import password etc from FF but not from IE. Chrome can import bookmarks from IE and FF, but it can import passwords only from FF.
    5. As to FF, although it is my preferred primary browser at work (now on 11 beta 4), lately I have been noticing errors in opening PDF docs. The same link when pasted in IE or chrome displays the PDF file.
    6. Finally, since I got my GTX560, FF sometimes crashes the display (display driver stopped working and has recovered). Disabling Nvidia plugins in FF does work but not always. Let me hope that the new 295.73 drivers fix this.

Finally, although I like FF a lot, I still feel that Chrome is the fastest on first click. This can be seen by running say acronis backup or some other memory intensive operation. In terms of responsiveness, chrome is the fastest then, followed by FF and IE. Frequently end up with 3 or more FF tabs in such a case, and a blank page (loading) for IE9. I like IE9 though simply because it has improved, and perhaps also because IE9 displays pages in a more whitish hue. Chrome's background seems yellow to me.

16. exo-dan

exo-dan MDL Senior Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I started using Chromium last night, and I like it....very quick

17. Mazrim Taim

Mazrim Taim MDL Member

Feb 23, 2012

Opera is my #1 browser. Look and feel, customization, tab preview. All good.

Firefox is #2, mainly because of certain add-ons, like for instance DownloadHelper.

IE is a browser I hardly use. Only on sites that require IE.

Chrome is fast. I only use it on Vista on my laptop though. Only there because of auto update.
    I want programs (and Windows also) to inform me if updates are available, and let me choose if and when to install them.

I just can't seem to find a way to make Chrome do that. Whenever it detects that a new version of the browser is available, it just starts updating. No matter what else is going on at that moment. I hate that.

And sure, I could set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Update\AutoUpdateCheckPeriodMinutes to the REG_SZ (string) value of "0", but than Chrome doesn't inform me if updates are available.

If it weren't for this I'd probably use Chrome more.

For now however Opera (11.60) remains my default browser.