Which music format do you use?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Jan 31, 2017.

?

Which music format do you use? (For MAC etc pick the equivalent)

1. MP3 128/160 kbps

11 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. MP3 198/256 kbps

9 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. MP3 320 kbps

29 vote(s)
    32.6%
  4. FLAC/WAV (CD)

40 vote(s)
    44.9%
  1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Useful account by MJ. I’ve always wanted to do proper recording, but was put off by the fear it would be a daunting task.

Instead, I do simple recordings of me singing while playing the guitar, and then overdub by adding on top of it singing in second voice and playing a different instrument (or pattern on the guitar).

My first attempts using the free Audacity under XP, met with two problems:
    (a) Reasonably priced (dynamic) microphones don’t sound all that great.
    (b) The overdubbing had a delay from the original, which was a fuss to correct.

So I invested in a separate digital stereo recorder incorporating two excellent condenser mikes. Its cost was comparable to that of two good mikes alone:
    TASCAM DR-07MKII (by TEAC Corporation).

After recording in WAV, I process the output with Audacity and convert it to MP3.

I find the above satisfactory, though of course lacking studio refinement. And I haven’t checked if the delay still exists with the new Audacity under Windows 10.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I see. So simply spoken you rather do not use a mic and do record tracks/instruments which you later are mixing.

I am a bit familiar with cubase. (15 years ago I wanted to make music, lol)

The challenge to me had been to get it installed, my MIDI keyboard plugged and working and some 3rd party instruments like absynth working.
    I could manage that. I noticed there is different quality of instruments/set of them and how they play. I also had different quality strings.
    I tried to play along a wav track to add a melody or a complete new track by down mixing some own tracks plus percussion (together with a friend).
    I noticed to make music is a hard job...I accepted that I've failed that time. But it was fun. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Yen: That was the same challenge that I had. t took me 3 years to find the right hardware for Cubase.
    Finally, I joined MDL to learn how to build my studio machine.

IMO joining MDL was the best decision I made. I met a lot of like-minded and nice people who taught me a lot. :)

Cubase is very picky on what hardware it runs. Some motherboards run fine. Others sputter and skip.

if you use Firewire, you need to use a firewire interface that uses the Texas Instruments Firewire chipset.
    I bought a Siig firewire interface, because they are AVID compatible. (So is Cubase)

No coincidence that they use the TI chipset. ;)

If and when I get the cash, I want to update my audio interface from the M_Audio delta 1010 to a firewire interface that supports 16 inputs and outputs.
    But I'm not really in a rush, because the Delta 1010 works fine.

Also, for the longest time, Native Instruments software appeared to be slow and clunky. In all fairness, it was not their fault.
    There's a -LOT- going on under the hood with the NI plugins. What made everything work for me, was a quad core CPU (Core I7,3770K @3.5ghz), an SSD and 32 gb of fairly fast RAM.(PC 2400)

Now, I have no problems with running multiple instances of Absynth, Kontact and Arturia synths, along with the few MIDI synths I have left.

I'm running Komplete 9 ultimate. They're already up to version 11. I'm also running the Arturia V Collection 4. And yes. They're up to version 5.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Another simple approach is to buy a MIDI keyboard, which invariably comes with its own software.

Non-piano players usually find it difficult to keep consistent tempo on a keyboard. So, if you have already recorded yourself playing the song with rhythm guitar, e.g. as I described in my previous post, you can arrange to listen to the recording thru earphones while playing the keyboard, which will guide you to keep correct tempo.

Once recorded as MIDI, the software can generate the musical score and add instruments, orchestrations and effects.

This is my intended next project in recording.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

I guess it also depends on what kind of music you wana make.
    I am actually a kind of creative person with a blooming fantasy. There were times where music has been my only foothold especially in childhood when I felt alone ...hospital.. operations at my eye... four times. Parents could not stay...

What I want to say. Music is important to me. There are not much days where I don’t have a melody or similar in my mind. Sometimes they’re not just a replay but new ones.
    But I am lacking of...well an interface to get it into a form which I could share. I never really learned to play an instrument..oh well flute when I was young, lol.

Tech paired with creative expression is a major subject in my life.
    I tried cubase, but I could not make it sound like I wanted. No sufficient musical skills. Tech rather no prob, though.

Finally I got satisfied with simple mixing of existing tracks. I appreciate musicians who do extraordinary. I love musicians from Iceland and Nordic countries. I like to go to concerts, live music, hand made. Also 'electronic' music hand made.

My creative driving force so to say I realise different additionally. Making photos, design yes even here the MDL style and my phone's UI lol.

Last month or so I did that slideshow, then the new forums classic style. ATM I try to connect my new DAC to everywhere I can and test its sound, also my new headphone with hires-files
    My scientific job is only half part. Even though it is research I need a creative, yes even meditative second half...

I think it's important to focus on present and let something appear out of it.
    It doesn’t matter how many will 'like' it. Important is the joy.

It is nice to have people here with a creative mind AND who are tech interested. :)

The friend who has tried cubase with me said last week to me he's interested in Ableton. He says he wanna start again..well I am curious what will come... and watch it...:D

6. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best. (Frank Zappa)

If you have creative ability, it’s a shame to content yourself with mixing the music of others and miss the deep satisfaction of recording your own compositions. You don’t have to share them with anybody else, just sit back and indulge in your personal creations. It’s such milestone achievements that build our intellect.

Trying now to be of practical help, I have two suggestions.
    (a) Learning the harmonica is easy if you have musical ear, which you undoubtedly have. And it sounds nice. If you are interested. I can recommend choices and simple advice on how to start,
    (b) Playing simple tunes on a MIDI keyboard is also easy. And with practice you'll keep improving without a teacher.

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Thanks for this post, you're right.

There are a lot of people in my family who are musical, cousins. They play traditional music, also harmonica or trumpet. It’s an huge advantage when you've learned an instrument in childhood already.
    I've got my first camera when I was 12 years old so my interests already there have focussed more to photography.
    The own 'issue' is myself alone. The disadvantage is that I am 'volatile'. I dig into a matter, get euphoric and do it temporarily and then I get 'distracted' by other creative things. Simply spoken my discipline to stay at it was never good enough. It's the same with my camera and stuff. Sometimes there are months I never touch it. The only difference is I always returned to photography due to my travels.

You're right (b) applies. That would be my way. I'd go 'electronic' it's my favourite for own music tbh.

I tried that and the friend with me has played piano 4 years when he was a child. To have one like him around is a great help, especially at beginning. It was really great fun.
    It's great that you can play different instruments on the keyboard.

I just had a look at my old files. It's nothing left but parts of the 'latest' programs we've had running. It's been Steinberg cubase SX 3.1, absynth 3, the FM7 and reactor 4..and a classic set of instruments.

Another thing was that it’s been an overwhelming setup. It makes one trying many things but never one with the needed discipline.

To play and record an simple instrument track is not the hardest part. But to compose with other tracks, finally 'how' music works and how they play together requires experience and discipline and talent.

ATM I am far away of these I never tried again. But when the mentioned friend wants to start again I'll watch this.

You are completely right with what you've posted. The fact that I couldn't create something I personally liked but still to have ideas..is a left-over....it'd "only" require the strong decision to try again. :)

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    ATM I am upgrading my 'main Hi-Fi stereo chain'. Influenced from the great sound quality of my headphone I decided to go for it after 28 years.
    It’s a work on the impression side of music so to say first.

The mentioned factor X. The headphones are around 1000$. I don’t know if I'll be able to achieve a similar experience in sound quality plus the advantage of speakers not exceeding factor 5. This is my limit.

I already have found some speakers which do have an extraordinary cost/performance ratio. As player better said DAC I can use the same in line-out mode.
    It's the amp left. ATM they run at my old Onkyo Integra amp. They already sound like a dream. :)

After many testing and reading about speakers and amps I'll go for a 'full' Musical Fidelity amp with 2 separately included mono block output stages.

Goal is to have as I say also a good 3rd dimension imaging of the music where instruments are well textured and separated 'in the room'.
    With that besides of the joy listening to it the comparison with lossy formats can start over.

Maybe I'll open a new thread then. About Hi-Fi chains, the importance/influence of the parts and about one's favourites and likes. :)
    For now I can say speakers are most important. The DAC also plays a (frequently underestimated) role. Built in DACs of 'common' players are mostly and then noticeably worse. I can confirm already.

For now I'd say the importance of the 3 major parts in a chain DAC/amp/speakers are like 15/10/75 percent.
    This of course excludes the sound attributes of the room where they play. A very important factor.
    Keep you informed. I am excited after that long time. :)

9. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ˄˄
    I hope it’s not this thread that induced you to spend your money on sound equipment.

Many years ago, when I was keen on hi-fi, I found that the top of the Sony earphone series were excellent. Not cheap, but still affordable. There are also unbiased comparison tests by consumers’ organizations. Nobody else is to be trusted for objectivity and thoroughness.

But now I spend most of my time in front of the computer and it’s more convenient to listen to music thru its speakers. It’s a desktop tower with separate speakers. Bass is lacking, but they otherwise do a good job for their size thanks to new speaker technology. And too much bass penetrates the walls of my block of flats and could create problems with the neighbors.

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    No it's not the thread, also not its topic. I did not get interested in it to have more possibilities to differentiate lossy from lossless. This can be a side interest only.
    Responsible for it better said the initiator has been the new headphone and its fantastic sound. I've got it for a very good price from the UK.
    In the UK its 800€ and here 1200€!!!

I actually wanted to upgrade my (very) old system already many times before, but never have done that until now.
    There are great changes in speaker tech, also in DAC tech. Not sure about amp tech yet. I am still waiting for my new one to test.

But what I can say now already. I have got big joy with it. It’s something familiar and it's nearer to 'real music'.
    And...I can have it in my living room at home. :)

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I have an old sound system from the 1970's and I think it kicks out better sound than anything today, I currently use a bose speaker set up for tv/video/audio but when I had those 15" fisher speakers they rumbled the windows. My living room doesn't look good with those tower speakers so we use with the tiny bose speakers.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I also went with 'compact' speakers this time. Got them from a German speaker maker called Nubert. They are around 20'' high and are on stands. One is 16 kilograms without stand, though. They are looking stylish.
    I've made the experience that smaller speakers do have less interferences with the room...anyway I also want to play really loud from time to time.

The new amp has been dispatched today. I have mixed feelings...still have melancholic feelings ..my good old amp...but a test will clarify how a new amp can compare.

13. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    The amp is usually the strongest (i.e. most perfect) link in the sound chain, and the speakers the weakest. So you may not notice a big difference with the new amp, apart from power or volume. But you can increase the sound volume by using more power-efficient speakers.

In line with the above, for best sound much of the budget should go to good speakers. Big ones have better bass and are more efficient. But you can increase the bass of smaller ones by placing them near the corners of the room.

All this is bringing back memories of the endless hours I spent on my hi-fi equipment. And much of that went to recording compact cassettes for saving on record wear and listening in the car. All those cassettes are now useless, stacked in a drawer.

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Burn the cassettes to cd?

15. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    My cassettes are not only obsolete, but also redundant. I have found most music as MP3s which are of better quality, and some I couldn't find, I produced the MP3s directly from my vinyl record collection, from which I had made most of the cassettes.

But I was kept busy doing them and felt nice having them for a while. This is life, nothing lasts for ever, and we should enjoy the time it lasts. Carpes diem.

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    yes... we all sees that day too!

17. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    #137 Tiger-1, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Hi Yen well I make something funny I find and catch from trash one box and inside there eight little speaker black box Panasonic without amplifier so in my Lab I make one little amplifier more or less 10 W RMS then I have one big surprise my own system ( 7.1 ) is amazing lol; my customers ask where I bought it :rolleyes:

18. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  19. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi MJ how are you :D, very interesting website I like very much still you know something about how to make amplifiers more strong hmm more or less 100 W RMS so I can play my Valentino Rossi game annoyng my new neighbors lol although my right hand is problematic due crash with my old bike Harley Davidson 1947 :)

20. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Tiger-1: I'll look around for a schematic, but look at the 2N3055 and the 2N2955 (PNP)

About 15 Amps of collector current. And that, with a 40V supply ought to be enough to make a 100 watt power amp. :D

Sorry about you hand. Mine are starting to get a little shaky, but I can still prototype. :)