Which music format do you use?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Jan 31, 2017.

?

Which music format do you use? (For MAC etc pick the equivalent)

1. MP3 128/160 kbps

11 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. MP3 198/256 kbps

9 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. MP3 320 kbps

29 vote(s)
    32.6%
  4. FLAC/WAV (CD)

40 vote(s)
    44.9%
  1. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Tiger-1: Ok. Here's a web page with a schematic.
    http://www.electronics-lab.com/project/2n3055-power-amplifier/

As you can see, it runs on a single rail power supply. It should be fairly easy to build.
    I'm thinking you'll need decent sized heatsinks, because you'll be pushing those 2N3055s pretty hard.
    It's about 80 watts into 4 ohms, which means you'll get about 40 watts into 8 ohms.

Let me know and I'll gladly answer any questions you have. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi adorable MJ wow thanks a lot for your help :) when I have some time I can make this power-amplifier I remember something about 2N3055 if I'm not wrong is one hot transistor in glorious times of Windows XP hmm 80W @4 ohms I believe that is sufficient for my proposit and off topic my new house are taking 90% of my day because myself re-build it alone seen don't ends never :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #143 ipx, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I agree with anything posted. :)
    It seems we share a similar past concerning Hi-Fi. I still have my AKAI GX-75 cassette deck and lots of cassettes. I did not play those for years. What I still play from time to time is vinyl, though.

I had been away from MDL due to testing, lol. It’s the first time I have logged in after my amp has arrived.
    It eats time and I had to buy some little things from time to time like one RCA cable here, one banana plug there...
    I'll keep the new amp.
    It's the worst cost/performance gain ratio in my chain, though. As you have rightly said. Amps are most perfect.
    Anyway I have to say (some) amps do sound. I know this is another controversial topic when it comes to playing music.

I know the weaknesses of my old amp (had used it more than 25 years). Power is no issue but it is not quite linear, it has a pronounced bass and a weakness in the highs (a bit thin, no real clear playing there)...
    It took 1-2 minutes only to notice when the new one played the first time. Clearer mids and separated clear highs.
    Hence overall impression is 'colder'...

The old one played the basses not that punchy and clean/dry, but more pronounced. Maybe due to minimal distortion there they appeared more present and warmer, though. A friend could confirm that. (it's not only me).

The new one is more friendly to different kinds of music, though. It is simply spoken a linear neutral amp. and finally with a remote control, lol.
    Anyway I got used to the little 'weaknesses' of my old amp.

My previous speakers are big. I had problems with room modes. That's why I have got smaller speakers this time (and maybe an additional sub if I would want to have more sub bass)

Their bass is impressively present, they make joy. They are known for that as one can read all over the internet.
    Friends and myself are/were impressed how they play, especially the bass (compared to their size). I'd say there is no better speaker for their amount of money.

Yeah well...it took me 28 years to make the decision to go for a new Hi-Fi chain..lots of memories came up as well....:)

Why a proprietary format and no FLAC?

I remember the time when Metallica released a live concert to download as FLAC. Since then its my favourite lossless format.

5. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

Where's the option for whatever is on youtube? :p

6. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I'm sure you expected that in advance too, but if you can hear a noticeable improvement and music means so much to you, then you've actually got a reasonable return for your money. More so, in view of the "Law of diminishing returns", namely to get something a little better beyond a certain point, you have to spend a lot more.

As they say, we only live once, so enjoy your system.

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Thanks a lot. :)

There are 'audiophiles' who are never satisfied with their current chain..so they try constantly to get it 'better' by replacing parts of it.
    I'm not one of those. I take my time for intense tests and then I make a decision and stick a long time to them.

They can cost a certain amount of money, over average, but still 'reasonable'.
    A new amp after 28 years also with a noticeably better sound at the mids/highs seemed reasonable to me.

ATM I am overhauling my turntable. I need to fix the drive...and I have bought a new stylus...not sure how long I still can get original ones for it. :D

Concerning 'reasonable'...yes one has to think about if it's still worth to spend much for little more improvement.
    Anything that comes closer to original (live) music playing is actually an improvement.
    To do that by getting other speakers is most effective, though.

8. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Yen: A friend once told me that Audiophiles are of two classes: Those for fiddle and tweak, and are never happy,
    and those who choose the best system for the money that they can afford and just enjoy it as is.

Oh, and best of luck with that turntable. :)

9. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    This observation pushes me a little OT, because it by no means only applies to audio equipment.

A clearly worse case are some computer users or “computer nuts”. This board is of course highly non-representative of the average user, but when I was going thru it as a newcomer, I did get the impression that there are people who are never satisfied by their systems: And I don’t mean they’re constantly upgrading; but they tweak and modify every feature and function in sight, or get rid of it altogether, disable services, updates and accessories, uninstall system components and change the rest to beyond recognition…till the system is inevitably laid lame. Then they swear at Microsoft, re-install and start all over again. I have no doubt that such people never find time to do any productive work with their machines, and are possibly not interested in such either.

Hence the advice I give when I participate in technical threads, is to leave working system components alone: “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. I found that such advice is not popular with everyone, but keep hoping that it will be remembered when trouble starts.

Now back OT (On Topic) [as opposed to being OT (Off Topic) ;)], however good your turntable is, if you keep playing your records on it, you’ll eventually wear them out. And in today's market, they may not be replaceable. That’s why, as I said above, I have digitized my records and now only listen to the audio files.

10. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Katzenfreund : That's so true. I've seen it in so many other places. :)

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Thanks I got it fixed...I got still the original parts for replacement never thought that. I rather presumed I have to try replicas with more or less quality.
    I also have replaced the oil of the bearing..I have to say it still looked colourless....almost empty, though.

Now it's all quiet and smooth again. The drive started to shudder already with vibration...not good for the amp....my new amp has a decent MM phono pre-amp built in.

Lossless or not, difference or not. 24 bit or 16 difference or not...ok

But vinyl plays different for sure. And I don’t mean the crackling. vinyl in good conditions hardly are crackling. The pure physical dynamic range is not that good, but their range is analogue and you have more harmonics. Can go until 55000 Hertz analogue means they are real waves with no determinable amplitude between 0 and 1. Means can have infinite values there.To quantify means to have a look at it like through a grid by avoiding clipping and a 20k cut off.

What some people do not understand.
    Human ears cannot hear a simple frequency of lets say 24000 Hertz.
    But frequencies of 24000 Hertz which are part of harmonics ARE related to their base and play a role.
    That means people can hear a difference when harmonics are cut off even though their sole frequency is above a audible frequency. To hear that one has to focus on there where 'the tone is born' with a calm mind...

I fiddled a lot I moved to the listening and enjoying part already....oh and I made a new experience...
    SPDIF optical fibre can have distortions! It’s digital so how can it?

Source and destination device plugged at different power socket!!! It transmits the frequency of the AC which is here 50-60 Hertz and modulates a low audible amplitude.
    I plugged both in the same socket and voilà it's gone. (Actually the entire audio chain should be on the same socket. So I did. And I have replaced any old RCA cables as well.

Concerning w7.

people can believe or not.

But I still run my first installation on SSD when it came out for download here at MDL.
    Being on SSD it is still fast.
    If support ends and I should still need windows I'll go for LTSB.
    At the company I have to deal with it either way.

12. jimmyhocky

jimmyhocky MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2017
  13. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Some may be interested to learn that the latest Windows 10 Insider Build improves the Sonic spatial sound feature. Microsoft is making it easier to enable Windows Sonic, a spatial sound feature it introduced in the Windows 10 Creators Update. Just plug in a pair of headphones, right-click the sound icon in the notification area, and select Spatial sound to choose your preferred format. You can also configure your 5.1, 7.1, or Dolby Atmos for home theater from this menu if it’s your default endpoint.

14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
  15. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ˄˄
    It’s expensive because it’s a limited edition, as if it were a collectors’ item, which it isn't.

16. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yay I agree Katz I realy want one to me!, but as already tell unfortunately I haven't $$$ :icon8:

17. john454

john454 MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2017
    MP3 198/256 kbps.I use that one.I want to suggest about it.

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The chance to have them fully playable a long time or not depends on exposure of light. Anything else depends on the particular materials they used. Not to speak of own physical damage such as scratches.
    My first ones from 1990 still play good...have ripped them, though.

20. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I have some very old disks too, and when stored in a controlled climate they still work, but I did leave one in my garage that was 1/2 way exposed for about 18 months, temp ranges from -10f to 90f and the 1/2 that was exposed had all of the silver missing from it, it was just a clear plastic disk on that half, so this disk rot thing is real if your not careful about how you store your disks