Why is there something rather than nothing?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by sid_16, May 9, 2012.

1. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    Yes, and agreed. Science is a tool used by us to reduce subjective bias in observation, not eliminate it. As long as we do not possess omniscience we cannot claim to objectively understand or comprehend the universe. We assume that axiomatic postulates hold and apply then proceed to examine any claims from within the framework of these assumptions.

While that serves the purposes of reducing the inherent observer bias in a system, it does not eliminate it completely to be termed as an inertial or an objective frame of reference.
    sid_16.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    you're always welcome.:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    That means you'll answer it never.:biggrin:

4. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    I welcome him/her in advance if comes back from the past or future and visit MDL ,see this thread and would like to reply.:D

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    He / she might do that right tonight. To travel when dreaming.:D ;)

6. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Time is a dimension. How can it have a start point? or even more..an end point? And dimension is a reference for existing things. :)

Why do you believe a dimension has a beginning? Does the unit called mile has a absolute beginning? Do we have a spot in the universe, which is marked as the "beginning of distance?:confused:

7. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    #47 sid_16, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
    (OP)
    Dark matter isn't "discovered". Dark matter is, by definition, matter we can't detect. Once we detect it, it isn't dark matter anymore. What you have to understand is that there is a limit to what we can see with an optical telescope. Past a certain point, the only way we can detect an object in space is if it is either emitting radiation or has a gravitational field large enough to affect something we can detect. The simple truth of the matter is that there could be a hunk of lead the size of the moon a light year away from us and there's no way we'd be able to detect it.

Causation is a scientific tool, not a scientific law. What this means is that we assume that if an event occurs it must have been caused by a previous event/s. We can safely make that assumption because usually it is true... But the fact remains that we may never know or understand what caused a specific event. In fact, according to Chaos Theory, it is impossible for us to do so.

The Single Event Model (the best known as "Big Bang Theory") is not the only model of the universe... Or even the model that best conforms to observation. Multiple Event Models and even Dynamic Eternal Models actually conform better to some observational data than Single Event Models.

My conclusion is, we cannot prove one hypothesis by disproving another hypothesis.

The simple reason is that hypotheses are not either/or propositions. For an example to show what I mean with the following two hypotheses:

H-1. 'X' is a spammer , s/he must be banned.
    H-2. 'Y' is a spammer,s/he must be banned.
    Should I treat these hypotheses as "competing either/Or hypotheses"? In other words, if I show that 'X' is not a spammer, does that mean 'Y' must be a spammer? Of course it doesn't...

Even though they are competing hypotheses, they are not "either/or" hypotheses.

The fact of the matter is that both or neither of them could be spammer that should/must be banned.
    sir,please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    thanks,
    sid_16.

8. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    I don't believe that time is a dimension in its self to begin with. ;) Because IF time IS, then everything MUST HAVE a beginning and an end.
    I never said that a dimension has a beginning nor an end. If you read my previous posts, you'll see that I say that EVERYTHING JUST IS. No beginning, no end.

9. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    If there is time then you obviously can't speak of "before time began". I believe time is, but how we feel time as "time" is just how we experience time and interpret it. The same thing goes for space. Other things of even the universe itself might look differently at time and space.

10. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Time is a "dimension of the mind" ONLY, because the mind NEEDS time to have past-present-future references related to itself. Without the "dimension of time", the mind would "not exist". Mind is just like time...does NOT exists per se. Mind needs "something" to relate to. The mind cannot be conceived without a relationship to "something".

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    SOCRATE_MMXII, you are right, absolutely.

I have posted at the other thread. When ones awareness is strong enough, you can get how time is created and the relative world.
    The mind consists of thoughts, it is a bunch of thoughts, nothing else. If they vanish, the mind vanishes and the absolute (Self) is the only thing that is left, pure being.

I try to describe 'the process'. It happens every morning when you 'awake'. It happens to most of us unseen, because of lack of awareness. But with a strong awareness you can slow down the process that it becomes recognized.

In deep sleep there is no mind, no thoughts and hence no time and no world. (I do not mean REM sleep when you dream. There are some thoughts already, a dream mind which creates your dream body and your dream world).

When you 'awake', then the first thought that arises is the 'I' thought. It is the confusion with yourSelf with the body. After the idea of the 'I' all what's left is the idea of non-'I', the world.
    All objects that are preceived (your body is also an idea, an object) are trapped in time, because they have a beginning and so they must have an end. Something that is eternal, must be ever. But there is no world in deep sleep. Objects are illusionary.

The bitter conclusion is: We are actually never awake. We have our day-dream with day-objects and day idea of 'I' and we have the same at night (this is commonly named: we are dreaming).
    And we have deep sleep. There are no thoughts and hence no world and no time. Here we rely on the 'Self', but are not aware of it.
    So to be awake means: To be yourSelf and not to be an idea of something, your body, an object. Pure being is to be awake. I am. Don't we get what 'I am' realy means? I mean I am! Not I am my body. If we get what I am means, then there will be no more relative world.
    One is not his body! The observer never can be seen.

12. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Okay some what I tend to agree with you. If time is a mental illusion, then every thing exists only in our mind. There is sufficient ground to believe that the brain has a biological clock which enables the brain to read sensory inputs at fixed intervals and not on a continuous basis. I think that is the basis for the phenomenon called time. In that case time need not exist out side of the brain.

Then universe need not have a beginning and end like we are forced to believe due to the concept of time in our mind. It is difficult for us to imagine a phenomenon with no beginning or end because of our concept of time. Now, this is not an attempt to disprove all existing scientific theories.

I am only trying to view things from a different angle and presenting it so that we can think together. We came up with the theory of expanding universe because of the fact that galaxies are continuously moving apart and according to human understanding this can happen only in an expanding scenario like the blowing of a balloon. This again could be due to our concept of time as all our measurements are time dependent.

Let me ask a simple question here. Today at this particular moment on the 14th of May 2012 at say 6.37pm my time the universe including our immediate surroundings is in a certain state. Is it the same state that existed at the same time on 14th of May 2011 at say 6.37pm ? If the answer is yes I would like to know why. If the answer is no; when did the change of state occur? Does the old state still exist?

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    sid_16, you are lost in mind-games by thinking about the time.:D

Look, these are your thoughts ABOUT the time. BUT: The time itself is already an idea, your thought!

How does one actually determine time? How do you?
    There is only the Reality. Whatever you think it is, it looks like that. If you call it time, it is time. After calling it time, you divide it into common units (days, nights, years).
    You are perceiving ‘something’ and associate it with the meaning time. Then you start to think about the 'thought-of-time'....this is endless....thoughts cannot be explained by thoughts, the only way to get the truth is to stop them. When stopped there is no more idea of time.

In other words: The answer of your question is just an idea, but never the absolute truth. You may choose one by yourself. :D

Anyway: some thoughts. (Thoughts are illusionary, though) :)
    There was a time when humans thought the earth had been flat. (Its shape is a disk or a plane.)
    Some think they were stupid and laugh about, because the earth is actually a globe.
    The earth had been flat for those! Their ‘reality’ was a flat earth. They perceived the earth to be flat!!!
    One need to understand what that really means. The globe didn’t exist that time (for them)!

Maybe you should think about that first: Are you in the world or is the world in you? Is there a world apart from you?

14. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Sir, sorry for the late reply.Without the preamble I'm coming directly to the topic. Our old perception was a flat earth with the sun and stars going round it. It is not a wrong perception. The earth is approximately flat at visible distance and with reference to earth everything else is moving in circles. At the first layer of perception, it is true. Our mind is not lying here.

If you go up on a rocket, at some distance the earth will appear round and rotating about an axis. This perception is right again from that distance.
    As you go further up the perception changes again to a solar system and Milky Way and so on and so forth. At each level, our perception is true.

Does it mean all the other perceptions were wrong? At each level there are different realities; all right ones. So logically one has to conclude that our perception is dependent upon our space-time position in the universe.There could be an infinite number of layers of perceptive realities and the universe is a sum total of all those layers. The so far unknown areas are good ground for mystics to fill up with fancy stories.

After all, there is still the issue that the entire universe may be in your head and there are no other people. But setting that aside, even language is not always agreed upon. I doubt there is even one word in the English language that every single person would agree to the meaning of. Nor would even every single person agree that it is English.

Perhaps someone from an African tribe might mistake it for German, for example. What I am saying is that subjective reality is sovereign over objective reality. Even when someone claims that 'A' thing is objective, it is through their subjective reality that they find it to be objective. So it really is just an opinion. I think what most people claim to be objective/absolute reality, is really just a majority consensus on an issue.

But how does a majority vote make it objective at all? I for one am not too quick to jump on "the majority is usually right" . Common belief has more then often been later proven incorrect. For instance, it was once commonly believed that the world was flat and there were sea monsters at the edge of the world. I think it is safe to say that is not the case now. Also it was once believed that the sun rotated around the earth. That has also been proven false.

I personally think the most commonly believed things are usually the incorrect ones. People go through life believing whatever makes the most sense to them until something better comes along. Facts come and go. History is rewritten. Different schools of thought manipulate reality at various times. How do we really know that science is any more accurate than religion? Truth is that we don't. This may seem like a contradiction in terms, but reality appears to be for all intents and purposes made up. We make it up as we go along.

A child's maturity is an evidence of that. As we grow older we change, and so does our perception of what is real and what is not. Little children believe in say- Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny but when they reach a certain age they stop believing that. Hardly anyone grows up continuing to believe in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny.

So what changes? Do Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny change? No our perceptions of them do change. In this case, our perceptions of their very existence changes. But that is actually false. The Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny do still exist, they are just not real.

The human mind is a universe in and of itself. It is this magnificent universe that forms what we conveniently call objective reality. If everybody on the entire planet perceived that the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause were real, then wouldn't they be?

What if we all thought we knew Santa Clause personally and he was a great guy. I know that sounds like an impossible scenario, but people believe more outlandish things than that. We could actually be reptilian apes. Some people say we are. More then one would think.

I have a distant relative who is a (detective movie buff) schizophrenic and he actually thinks the CID/CBI put a microchip in his brain that they communicate to him via radio frequencies. I have told him that he is just mentally ill, but he insists that I am just not aware of the conspiracy. I told him to go for an X-Ray of his head, and if there weren't any microchip there then he would have to believe me. Though he did not take me up on that, I bet if he had, he would have come up with an excuse why it did not show up on an X-ray such as the X-ray technicians were in on it.

But this being the case, how do we know that we are not all crazy (for the above case) and he is the only sane one? We don't, and there is no way to prove it one way or another.

And lastly, solipsism is trivial to refute. I know for a fact that my own mind neither can create a Pablo Picasso painting , nor a Shakespeare play. Yet my mind perceives those to exist in an apparently real world. Therefore something else created them. How do I know for a fact that my mind can't create such works? Because I can't even write a simple paragraph of the Shakespeare's play or a curve of the Picasso's painting, that's why, If my own mind had created Pablo Picasso painting and As You Like It, then I'd be able to create equally complex works anytime I wanted to do so.

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    So we can now 'answer' your previous questions:
    There is only the Reality. Whatever you think it is, it looks like that.
    If you call it Santa Clause, it will be Santa Clause. And one starts to create an image about a man with red clothes, a white long beard who comes along and brings gifts.
    And now we get it makes no sense to discuss about if Santa is real. To those of which reality is Santa, he exists. This is a relative truth. Also for those who Santa exists is Santa not = Santa. (There are different ideas of him regarding of culture and history)
    When I go to the city and I see Santa, so he exists for me also. My own idea of Santa, a relative truth. (It is a man who wears clothes that represent Santa), he 'plays' a role, he is an actor.
    But we should not forget, the kids' idea of Santa and my idea, both have some relative truths. To laugh about the kids' 'Santa' is actually not fair.

"Is it the same state that existed at the same time on 14th of May 2011 at say 6.37pm ?"
    If you think it is the reality then it is. It is your relative truth then. It starts to exist when your idea of yourself doesn't find any inconsistencies. It lasts as long as it is and will change if you cannot think that it is the reality to 'you' anymore.

Problems and fights about only happens if somebody thinks his own relative truth is more right than the one of another.

"If the answer is no; when did the change of state occur?" Whenever you think it has.
    "Does the old state still exist?" It there still a flat earth?

Finally talking about the absolute truth:
    It is always the same, ever there, always complete, ever unchanged, eternally the same, ever unaffected.
    It gets different relative meanings which change. They change because the nature of the mind is inconstant.
    It shines through when the mind vanishes.

This is the only purpose of every religion, to instruct ways to let it be as it is. To say : It simply is, pure being.
    Science tries the opposite, though. Science is very important to get relative truths, for the progress of mankind in our relative world.

sid_16, you are clever and kind. :)
    It is a pleasure to talk to you. Your ways to think are similar to my 'younger' mind and still a part of it.

Nobody needs to be worried. The Reality is the origin of all. It hasn't to be 'reached or realized'.
    If it could be realized or reached, it would have an start and hence an end.
    All we need is to get rid of to define it by thoughts, then it 'reveals'. We have names for it to talk about, there is no other purpose.
    Nobody can deny the reality, but we fight about its names. 'I am' is true, one IS, so IS the reality.

My mind struggles with it as well. But the statement: "My mind struggles with it as well." Is just a thought. As long as there is one who has to made an effort, we need to turn our sight to the Self, the Reality.

16. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    #56 SOCRATE_MMXII, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
    @sid_16:talk to a young child. It will refer to itself in third person: "Kevin/Laura did this, or that". But the mind-driven society "corrects" the kid saying "you are kevin/laura" "stop referring to yourself in third person". This happens because THE SELF is still AWARE OF ITSELF. The mind-driven society "kills" the awareness in humans.

The mind-driven society invents all sorts of characters for different sides of LOVE, 'cause the mind IS NOT ABLE TO LOVE, hence TO BE AWARE OF SELF [TO LOVE EVERYTHING <AS IS>]. The human being is the slave of his thoughts.
    To explain the AWARENESS is pure madness, because THE DIVINE CONSCIOUSNESS can't be explained.

You ask if a moment in time is the same as this one, but you don't realize that MIND needs the answer to that question to have something to relate to or compare.The SELF doesn't need anything, because IT IS EVERYTHING.
    Mind is just a tool, not the master. But society made humans believe that the tool is the master.

Your uncle is just trapped in THE REALITY OF HIS MIND [described by his own thoughts], that's it.
    All humanity is schizophrenic, because the humanity LIVES in the REALITY of its collective thoughts.

YOU can create Picasso's paintings and Shakespeare's poems easily IF you let THE SELF to express ITSELF.

17. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    #57 sid_16, May 17, 2012
    (OP)
    Yen sir thank you very much for the compliments. At last one of my thought/post brought your attention, and I appreciate you for comparing me with your young mind. Rest I'll reply later. :)
    Few question relating to 'the self'. Am I simply a set of chemical and biological reactions? Are my thoughts and actions just a result of these reactions? Or is there something more to me? What is it exactly that makes me ? May be, every seven years or so my body completes a cycle where it has renewed every cell it is made up of, in effect it is no longer the same body. However, I am still me, why do I still have this idea of me ? Is it then my consciousness and my memory that makes me? I remember my name, I remember what I did yesterday, last year etc. Do these memories go a long way to explaining my sense of 'I' ?

thanks,
    sid_16.

18. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    #58 sid_16, May 17, 2012
    (OP)
    Socrate MMXII, we all think we are sane people without any hysteria or schizophrenia or something like that... But this is the same way a schizophrenia will also think... For a schizophrenic person living in the cells of a mental care hospital, he'll still be a normal person like you or me in his imaginary world .

So how can we be sure we are not a schizophrenic , (I agree with your idea about schizophrenia), now chained in a mental asylum, but still lives normally as you or me or whoever we are in our imaginary world ?

Once someone realizes that we are not aware of objects directly, but via a veil of perception, one can immediately question the belief that there are external actual objects corresponding to our perceptions. And solipsism says that our perceptions, and our minds, exist in themselves, without any corresponding external objects. It is based on the idea that since you cannot verify that there are actually corresponding objects out there (the verification would imply sense use, and that is what you are trying to verify), it is equivalent to say that you only live in a sense-data world, meaning just your mind. Solus - ipse. Only - yourself.

As I've posted the link for vacuum fluctuations , is a bit more complicated, but what it says in essence is that for very brief instances in time, matter appears and disappears into 'non existence' (not exactly, but it is a good enough analogy for now). In fact a leading hypothesis of how the universe came about utilities this principle to provide plausible hypothesis about creation ex nihilo, i.e spontaneously and naturally. It is fascinating really, but not everyone's into it. There is pretty sound theory supporting these claims, but the actual physical evidence is just coming around now. We are three dimensional projections of a four dimensional reality, much in the same way a holograph, is a three dimensional projection of what is in effect two dimensional information. See the holographic universe here. While this is still in its infancy, it does have more going for it than axiomatic claims of reality existing independently.

"YOU can create Picasso's paintings and Shakespeare's poems easily IF you let THE SELF to express ITSELF." Here I think your 'self' express to 'itself' very well (from all of your posts I came to realize) and a query from the quote above, can you create a loader like Daz to activate win8 or modify bios like others here? just kidding. (My answer would be very simple you can't make a loader that can activate win8, neither can I compose a Shakespeare's play or Picasso painting, 'cos minds are same in terms of features, but differ in terms of abilities)
    sid_16.

19. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Daz' s Loader is a product of the mind, not of the SELF, so no I cannot create a loader like his because I don't have his knowledge, but ART [poetry, painting, a.s.o.] comes from SELF not from the mind. ;)
    I start to repeat myself [repetition is the mother of study which is the mother of knowledge which can spring the seed of wisdom that can blossom into enlightenment]: theory is a product of the mind, so it's limited to the perceptions of the mind. The SELF is beyond form [theory is an expression of thought which comes from the mind which is form - everything out of form is form which is illusion] so the mind cannot comprehend.
    The act [the form, the illusion, life as humans experience it] cannot see the actor [which is the SELF].

20. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    sid_16,
    There is only the Reality. Whatever you think it is, it looks like that.
    This is the key sentence.
    "May be, every seven years or so my body completes a cycle where it has renewed every cell it is made up of, in effect it is no longer the same body. However, I am still me, why do I still have this idea of me ?"
    This is exactly the point that has made me thinking about that there must be something wrong with our idea of ourselves.
    And I figured that if we should be the body, there will be no bliss. The body will die for sure, so why say religions that life should be eternal? Are they wrong? Or am I wrong? Also when playing this mid game: http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/4066-Disassemble-yourself-you%92ll-find-no-I-no-core!

One HAS to admit that we cannot be the body. This firstly shocking fact is also our salvation. Then I realized the religions are right when they say the life is eternal.

The issue is that we objectify what's the Self.
    We have the 'I'-thought. We think we are the body. The reason is nescience. We create an idea of what we are and anything else are 'other' objects. Objects which seem to be outside then.

So we think when meeting other persons, it are other individuals 'in their body'
    And if they look like our body, we say it are other humans. When they are living organisms we say they have a individual consciousness in this case human consciousness, a human mind.
    When we have a look at animals, which are also living organisms, we say they have their individual animal-consciousness a animal mind.
    When we have a look at plants, which are also living organisms, then we already struggle. Do plants have their individual consciousness / mind?
    When we have a look at a stone, which is no living organism, we deny any own consciousness a stone-mind.
    In fact there is only one Reality, which is pure being, consciousness.
    Also there is no world outside. Everything is within us. There is no difference between all those objects, it is the mind that separates them by giving a own idea.
    From the absolute there is no difference. All is pure being reflected, separated and objectified by the mind.

So here I have another opinion to SOCRATE_MMXII.

You differentiate the painting and Daz loader. One to be from the Self the other from the mind.
    In fact you differentiate the absolute from the relative.
    There is no difference of Daz loader and a painting. All objects appear because of the mind. They are an idea, a thought only. Their absolute Reality is however always the same. Pure being.

When creating a painting, your mind needs to have some abilities and when creating Daz loader also.
    Picasso's mind and Daz' are different with different abilities gained. That is the idea from a relative POV. But the cause is always the Self.
    The Self causes the mind, but the mind causes not the Self. The Self has no cause at all, it IS.

So one cannot be Daz and cannot be Picasso. Because our ideas of them are different 'persons'.
    From the absolute Daz loader and Picasso's painting are the same, though.
    When spoken about in a religious way we say everything is a creation of god.

"The act [the form, the illusion, life as humans experience it] cannot see the actor [which is the SELF]."

Yes, the observer never can be observed. There is something that is looking 'out of your eyes'.
    The fact that lets us say : I am. But the one that is looking out of our eyes can never be seen.
    The Reality is the most common and only 'thing' that is real. Since the mind always tries to make an image of it, it creates own ideas which appear as objects, separated from 'us' = our body, which is also an object, an idea.

A way to get our peace is to have a look from where those thoughts arise. To go back to their source and to abide there. The question Who am I? can help. When asking yourself the process happens all the time.
    You ask yourself: Who am I? And then you answer: I am...and then it follows the idea of yourself, the 'I' thought.
    The solution to abide on the Self is to interrupt the mind. I am. That's the reason why they say the Self = pure being and not being this or that.
    Thoughts cannot be eliminated by thoughts. One must grasp them at their root. It's like weed. When cutting, it grows even faster. One needs to root it out.

"However, I am still me, why do I still have this idea of me ?""
    It is the mind that plays this game. The 'I' thought reduces the Self to be your body and then it asks why is it that way.
    When the 'I' thought vanishes there is nobody who can ask that question, because you are not your body.
    There can't be two Selves one that is and the other one that asks why it is here. It is the mind that does.

When you are in deep sleep do you have this question also? It is the awake mind with the idea of 'I' who asks that.
    In deep sleep there are no thoughts and hence there is no mind. If you would be the mind you would not survive deep sleep. There is 'something' that survives deep sleep. It's the eternal Self = YOU.