Why moving to Linux to avoid Microsoft spying is impossible for most people

Discussion in 'Linux' started by roga, Aug 29, 2015.

1. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    I remember the days when trim meant pussy :haha:

Just aswell they never called it Rim :laie:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Autocorrect owns my productivity :rofl:

3. fabre gastro

fabre gastro MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2018
  4. eeritia

eeritia Guest

Currently using Solus (used Arch too but i prefer safety, Ubuntu can go outside , i don't like their new release which is still boring and not really innovative).

Even though i'm using only linux and having fun with it (for example you don't need to use puttY for ssh) as there are enough great games on it, i'm still using Skype and LinkedIn for professionnal stuff (but i didn't set my face on it).
    But otherwise, it's pretty easy to avoid Microsoft like the black plague actually.

5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I am on 16.04 and it's cool, at least when modified as I described! No need for SWAP partition with 8 or 16 GB of RAM!

I just sorted it out for a friend on an 11 years old Dell! Working like a charm with 8GB RAM and 120GB SSD for Win/Linux dual boot, 320GB Toshiba HDD for data, plus nVidia 710.

Simple and enjoyable!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #1026 Yen, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    I want to face the reader with this consideration:
    The most popular Linux distros such as Ubuntu and Mint create a swap per default. The 'maker' of those distros do not intentionally want to ruin the SSDs out there...

Most Linux users make a default install, means most out there run a swap on SSD as well. There is no report of significant damage of those using a swap.
    To have a swap says actually nothing much....it's the real usage and Swappiness.

A combination of little RAM and an old SSD and high swappiness value and hibernation might lead to a significant wear.

If the SSDs have got proper wear levelling then only the total of written data plays a role concerning life span. (assuming all the cells life span is the same in average). Manufacturers are talking of total amount written independently of swap. Health status of SSD is related to total data when using their tools.

The page size is not crucial, the erasable block size is.

What has a far more impact is caching of browser data. Most of us having a SSD as system drive do have also the temp files there for browsing and most of us are deleting the chronic after exit.

There's a lot of controversial argumentation. We can only talk about probabilities, though.
    More RAM is better than swap, that's no question.
    SSD as swap has better performance than a HDD for swap. That's also no question.

But if the controller takes care that each addressable unit gets the same read/write cycles only total written data is significant for lifespan.
    Besides of that AFAIK most SSDs die completely at once. Decreasing of spare area (overprovisioning) happens unnoticed.
    What people notice, though is decreasing of speed due to improper maintenance.

This is for discussion, enjoy. :)

P.S.: I did not much wrong so far my Vertex II from 2011 is still running when I am typing that right now.
    I ever had at least 6GB of RAM though. Now I run 16GB. There is not much if at all swapped since 2011.

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    For those who are concerned.
    I'd not delete the swap. Decrease swappiness instead of: (A lower value means less tendency to use the swap).

Linux mint cinnamon:
    Check current swappiness: (terminal window)
    Code:
    cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
    Default should be 60

Change it :
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/sysctl.conf
    (in mate you use pluma instead of gedit, in Kubuntu use kate)

Copy and paste at bottom:
    Code:
    #
    # Reduce the swap tendency
    vm.swappiness = 10
    Save, exit the editor and reboot. You can recheck using command above.

You might even use 1

8. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I have had problem with crashes when I failed to create Swap on multi-boot system in the past. Although, some new version of Linux would fix that but not when you have other non-Linux Operating System as the first installation. So, I am always cautious not to avoid creating Swap partition manually during installations .

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    No need for SWAP partition if you have enough of RAM, from my experience...

10. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    That is very correct. In a situation where you are having system with less physical memory during processes it is better to create Swap earlier on which takes nothing away from your hard drive.

11. seagull58

seagull58 MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2018
    Hi all.
    The SWAP partition on the SSD, but why? Why not leave on empty space on the SSD to improve performance? If you have another hard disk drive, SWAP can be organized as a swap file. Ubuntu Mate 18.04 works well even on heavy tasks.

12. pdjordjevic

pdjordjevic MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2018
    Honestly, swap is rarely necessary (from my experience, to clarify); i have a desktop widget which monitors memory usage and swap has never passed ten percent usage. If you have enough RAM to handle heavy applications like sound or video editors swap just won't be touched. It's nice to have it though, just in case.

13. pdjordjevic

pdjordjevic MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2018
    I think Linux distributions can be really convenient, even more than Windows; it's actually about the same now, convenience of Ubuntu and Windows. They both have app stores, Windows added it later; Microsoft isn't crazy, app stores were first on smartphones, then on Linux desktops (not sure about Mac OS, never used it), why would they skip on it? It's the most convenient way to install and update software.

An example of non tech savvy people using Linux (Ubuntu to be specific): the hospital in my home town. It's used on practically every computer there. It's a small town too, about twenty five thousand people, not much consciousness about technology. I think this is implying that people are simply used to Windows, not that Windows is much easier to use.

14. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    Security and activation aspects aside having a linux live cd/dvd/usb key is extremely handy if you dont have a working windows pc for whatever reason. Just pop the cd or usb key in and bam you have working internet to download something you forgot or need to get into a forum for some needed information.

Most distro's(linux's main problem) are debian based so im just gonna go straight to the source and order a debian dvd next week. Anyone know if Geyes is still availible? :D

15. qoxyva

qoxyva MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2018
    I agree GNU/Linux and Windows is the same now if you work with non-game stuff. For games I using Windows in KVM. However, speaking of USB drives most of them are exploitable due to the BadUSB. This allows hackers to reprogram the microcontroller and do whatever they want. USB Surge attacks can damage USB ports permanently or completely destroyed them. So I thinks twice before work with any kind of USB and especially those who is not mine. BIOS or UEFI can be vulnerable, too. This doesn't mean it is no way to work with this at all, it just can be little bit risky. I using Raspberry Pi with Linux and a SFTP server in the case if I need some data of an unknown USB device. If I lost this Pi, it isn't critical or costly.

16. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Yup. Individually (pound for pound) Linux knocks Windows.. in the real world it's a bit different...talking client-side - Google tried getting their Android crowd onto Chromebook... didn't happen - for some reason people prefer their comfort zone

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Nowadays there are many different Linux distos. I tried Ubuntu many years ago, did not convince me.

Then because of win >7 I tried Mint cinnamon dual boot. I did not login into it very frequently, also because I was used to windows, did not want to spend much time because I know how to realize certain tasks quickly on windows.

Then after a while I noticed I do login into Mint more and more and finally it became really my main OS. I only use windows for particular applications (I had bought) and for games.

I did not want to get distracted by all those distos. Trying one today another one tomorrow and so on...it could end up with knowing many but not really one exactly and returning to old habits.
    I focused on Mint cinnamon.

Since Mint 17 will be EOL on next April I had a look at a successor. This time I had a look at other distros again.
    I got interested in KDE. Unfortunately Mint 19 was not released with KDE Plasma desktop anymore.

I tried Kubuntu, the KDE release of Ubuntu. After 3 weeks I installed it on metal.

If you want a stylish modern OS which is highly customisable and stable go for it especially when you like a dark design. Breeze dark is fantastic, but the bright design is cool, too.

One prejudice is that Linux looks outdated. Not Kubuntu. It's IMHO far superior to w10 concerning design and customization.
    If you like to customize and have a modern design try it, especially when you are already familiar with another distro.
    I have moved to it and I love it.
    For beginners I still think Mint cinnamon might have the better access to it...except you like overwhelming customization possibilities and you like to play with appearance.

KDE was a mess years ago, but the devs did an impressing job.
    I am fine till next EOL. Will keep using it till then. :)

Inform yourself in the internet what distro you'd like, watch videos. Pick only one. Try the live boot. Make efforts to test it intensively.
    Then after a while install it either on VM, spare partition, or even USB stick. Get all updates, install your programs. Test it further....

If you like it install it on metal, dual boot it with your familiar OS and login into it whenever you have no special task to do. Stay curious get deeper into the settings...
    And after half a year check what has changed..how often you still use your 'old' familiar OS...

It's fun, but it takes time until fun develops. Make your own opinion by trying own installations.
    Focus on one distro first and give it time.

This is my story how I came to Linux and I bet I am not alone. :)

18. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Similar here but my choice is Ubuntu, as it really is way ahead as a distro for "normal", non-IT guys and gals.

As I already described in this thread, I believe, one can customise the living daylights out of it, with 3D desktop and onwards...

Enjoy, though! That's the point. Eventually, like anything else, after one puts time and effort into something, one starts appreciating it more and more...

19. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    A great couple of summations - very well said & fitting well into our present time:
    Yen, you are definitely, positively NOT alone in all this !!

Adding in all the users of Android powered devices & the amazing number of Linux based servers, it is clearly visible that the stats too often quoted about desktop users alone are very misleading.
    Only within the boundaries of corporate cultures' imposed walls is windows still relevant - even though those very same entities are pretty much universally using Linux servers for their internet presences.

Gorski, I agree with you completely.
    My own measure of the usefulness of Linux for the home users' desktop had me waiting & watching for quite a few years as it slowly reached the magical point of being 'grandpa friendly'.
    That point was achieved years ago & I was able to prove it easily by installing an Ubuntu based distro for my totally non-techie 80 year old friend in place of XP. (He has been using it happily ever since & he is now almost 90...)

Regarding OSes in general:
    I regard the OS very much as I regard the foundation of a house - needing to be sturdy, made of reliable & strong materials so it will be solidly trouble-free for a very long time.
    The only folks I've ever known to bother at all with their house's foundation have been inspired by some damage or disaster, or buying/selling a house - with very few others even bothering to look there unless directed to by an inspector of some sort.

That being said - a good Linux distro is very much like a megalithic structure such as the Egyptian pyramids; built to endure the eons without requiring the builders there to provide endless attentions.

By way of comparison (after my decades of supporting windows users...) most windows installations are the diametric opposite of the above example, and IMO they closely resemble a house trailer propped up on cement blocks; easily disturbed by any strong wind & prone to needing repairs far more often.

Due to all the above it is my thought that this thread's title's inclusion of the verbiage saying:

Is highly misleading.

It might be correct if instead it said:
    And as to the spying aspect - nothing that uses the internut is perfect in that regard, so it is merely the switching to Linux idea which I choose to reply to here.

20. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    And that is just us older users :biggrin3: