Why trying Linux could be a good thing...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Michaela Joy, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    My bad. It's there again. :)

I just noticed that we all are a sort of windows addicted. Types! I wanted to have them like on windows to get the same feeling when reading sites...I had to notice they are not standard, there are different types installed. Well I've picked some others. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. halasz

halasz MDL Member

Jan 13, 2013
  4. manix

manix MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    #25 manix, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    I would suggest for people to try to understand how the system functions instead of trying to memorize terminal commands.
    It is surprisingly well designed and a lot of stuff makes sense.
    You still have to get rid of some bad habits from Windows, for example the fact that new storage devices appear as folders in the /media folder instead of being assigned specific drive letters like C:, D:, E: seems weird initially. It's funny because Android uses basically the same directory structure but with different names, so if you look at the /storage folder you would find your SD card. :)
    Of course "modern" distributions display them with drive icons so people don't get confused, but if you don't want to be just a regular user, you need to understand what is happening.

5. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @halasz: Thanks for Your advice. After Ubuntu Studio, It will be the next distro that I tinker with. :)

@mannix: I agree with You. We fear what we do not understand. I remember being in this same place when Windows 3.11 came out. Not knowing a thing about it, and being afraid to do anything because of the fear of breaking something.
    And now, Here I am, tinkering with Linux. Standing in that -exact- same place I was when Windows first came out.
    It's refreshing to Me. And, at the same time, it's humbling. I realize that I have so much to learn.

And I'm glad to know it. :)

6. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    I think she should try Manjaro or Antergos not Arch, that can be a bit of a headache :eek:

7. halasz

halasz MDL Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Pointless for the first time IMO. The advantage (or disadvantage depending how you look at it) of standard Arch over those Arch based distros with installers that do everything for you is it doesn't have an installer that does everything for you. Sure it takes longer but you learn more - if something breaks later you'll be more likely to know where to look as you set it up yourself.

Guess it depends on your reasons for installing it in the first place though and everyone's reasons are different.

8. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    I don't think it gives a user a good impression of something when that something can leave you stuck up poop creek without a paddle :D, just sayin' !

9. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @halasz: I understand your point. And, I believe at a later time when I get some experience running Linux and dealing with it on a day to day basis, then I will try it.

R29k has a good point. When You start off with too advanced of a distro, You can become discouraged and lump all distros in the same category.

I want to ease into Linux. I'm not sure I'm ready for the deep water yet.

With the key word being 'yet'. :)

10. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Try Elementary you won't go back to anything else :D

11. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    My experience has been that most computer users fall into one of two categories. Using the automobile analogy, some people love to pop the hood and tinker. They will spend hours tuning the engine for optimum performance and spends tons of money on high performance replacement parts. When something breaks, they grab the toolbox and prepare to get their hands dirty. Other drivers simply want to start the engine and go. Occasionally they will take their car to the Quick Lube for an oil change and if the check engine light comes on, they take it to a repair shop.

I suspect that most users in this forum are in the first group and will eventually try the more advanced distributions such as Arch. But let's not forget that the other group exists and be thankful that newbie friendly distributions exist. Heck, my first introduction to Linux was via Slackware around 1994. Over they years I have been an active distro-hopper, always searching for the "perfect" release and today my favorite is Linux Mint. :biggrin:

12. CyberCodeDroid

CyberCodeDroid MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2013
    Debian and Linux Mint ;)

13. roga

roga MDL Member

Aug 12, 2015
    I am cautious of Elementary because if you try to download it from their web site, they insist you to make a $10 minimum donation, that is crazy!

14. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Trying new things is always a good thing.It builds experience and with experience comes knowledge and from there...wisdom.

I started dwelling into linux about 12 years ago, when I discovered Slackware. It was...alien, but I was curious.
    I was not happy because I had to install it on a PC to be able to work with it. After that I found Knoppix - a liveCD linux distro (based on Debian) and I was happy because I could test it extensively without breaking my Windows.:D
    These days I use Kanotix, which is a distro based on Knoppix, but has better hardware detection.
    These days I'm a "debian fan" and most popular distros are based on it such as Ubuntu, Mint, Elementary OS and so on.
    What I love about it is that with "apt-get" you can easily can add/remove programs without the need of compiling them as you need to do in Slackware.
    Slackware has 3rd-party tools to automate the process, but the developers recommend to compile the program from sources. It requires a little bit of knowledge about dependencies...but all-in-all is not that difficult.

15. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    That one got Me too. :) You can't just put 0 in the box. You have to put 0.00 and then it works.