Why we choose our usernames / avatars?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by timesurfer, Oct 29, 2010.

1. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #1 timesurfer, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
    My name is actually timesurfer and I am a fan of cosmic time (eternity) and one's spiritual ability to surf it and re-engineer our memories...lol To me everything is alive, even the past and future not just today, not just the material, but everything ;)

And I like Henry Winkler

Oww...:p

@Freestyler

Are you rapper from the hood :D...lol

@MD are you actually a character in Godzilla movies :p...lol Maybe Mothra...lol

[​IMG]

Godzilla Monster Sounds

[​IMG]

2. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    You actual real name is timesurfer? :worthy:

[​IMG]
    Need I say more? lol

3. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    For me, my name comes when I was Primary 3 (or 4).
    My classmates played a game called SSF (Strifeshadow Fantasy) and I followed.

And why I use blackranger as my name in MDL (game accounts too), is because there are 4 knight monsters in the SSF game, namely blue ranger, red ranger, black ranger and white ranger. And at that time I thought Blackranger and Whiteranger were quite cool, so I used them as my SSF account user names.

So in my childhood, once I was going to sign up sth (perhaps a forum), I will use blackranger as my user name. But since blackranger is seldom used by someone else, I have started to use a slightly different name in most of my sign up process.

Here is them:
    [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #4 Yen, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    I can remember that.
    You asked me to change your title to Calistoga, your previous name I cannot remember though...

About my title:

I posted over there:
    http://www.mydigitallife.net/2007/0...ista-oem-activation/comment-page-60/#comments as Agnoia.

Lol there is still the typo SLA (correct SLP)!:biggrin:

Then I have changed my name to Yen. :D :p
    http://www.mydigitallife.net/2007/0...ista-oem-activation/comment-page-65/#comments

Because I have discovered how to SLIC AMI bioses.
    I took it from Zhaoliang a Chinese friend and bios expert.
    I have chosen Yen, because Yen is my nickname in real life...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pedagogy

pedagogy Chit Chatter

Jul 31, 2009
    Not trying to be controversial, but I think the title should be changed to why we choose our User names. Avitar is an graphic identity that you choose from MDL list or create your own. Some users (such as myself) do not have an avitar, but everyone has a user name.

Pedagogy is from Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire
    Pedagogy of the Oppressed is the most widely known of educator Paulo Freire's works. It proposes a pedagogy with a new relationship between teacher, student, and society.
    The justification for a pedagogy of the oppressed; the contradiction between the oppressors and the oppressed, and how it is overcome; oppression and the oppressors; oppression and the oppressed; liberation: not a gift, not a self-achievement, but a mutual process.

6. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Permission to change title accordingly...lol

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Changed it..lol...anyway I'm using an Avatar...avatāra sanskrit language..originally used to describe incarnations from Vishnu..basically it means your incarnation....(with what you identify yourself)..actually it's an artwork of one of my favorite vocalist jón þór birgisson aka jónsi..lol..

8. pkaji123

pkaji123 MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2009
    #8 pkaji123, Oct 30, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
    @Yen,I feel you're much related to Indian traditions and art of living.

Anyways My Name is Ajesh.
    Everyone call me Aji as a nick name.
    PK is my initials,and 123 for fun,so pkaji123.
    Btw,my Avatar,I would have kept my real photo,but i am afraid if you treat me like a Kid.

9. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #9 timesurfer, Oct 30, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
    (OP)
    And how are kids treated. As equals I hope ;)

e.g. Hazar is moderator

p.s. I thought that was your real picture :p...lol

666 :evil2:

10. dabits

dabits Guest

dabits:
    A long story ... on another forum ... "The Bitch" :D

my avatar:
    I got it from the website of Talking Heads, "road to nowhere" :cool:
    I used it before with a different username "SPD" Speedy :eek:
    ... running and running and running and running and running and ...

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Hey, here is simple story......

About name ~ my real life nick name is "Tito"
    About avatar ~ a quick google and bing search find that for me....

@pkaji123
    Yap, I also think Yen has much knowledge abt ancient Indian culture.... o_O

12. cynarch

cynarch MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2010
    I choose my name because I just like it :D
    and was used on computer for username and games with friends…
    only those close know the meaning :spoton:

Well, cynarch is a blend formation of two words,
    cynegetics (art of hunting with dogs) and archer -> cynarch
    so, figuratively it means archer hunter with companion of dogs.

It may have other meanings prob. in old languages..

The blend is an original creation, never goes public before…
    I doubt it has twin somewhere :p

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Unfortunately I never have been to India before. But I travel to an Asian country one time a year. I never have been in a pure Hindu country before, anyway I have read a lot about. Also I have friends being there already.
    At February I was on Bali, the Balinese Religion is a sort of Hindu...

Next year I plan to visit Sri Lanka. In fact I'm very interested in Asian culture and Religion.
    I have a book from Sri Ramana Maharshi, which is one of the most important one to me...he was an Indian Spiritual Teacher.
    If you are interested in 'eastern' culture you sooner or later come to Sanskrit language.

And now back on topic: Avatar
    Actually an image with what you are identifying yourself.
    It's an human effort to try to identify your Self with something. It's the ego that wants to. The Internet makes it possible to 'live' an other kind of life.
    You can choose an different Avatar, means you can exchange the matter you are identifying with yourself.

IMO it will become more important in the future, catchword: Social Networking.

Have you ever tried to imagine who is behind a Username? Especially at MDL?

The Internet works different than real life. There are other rules, for instance forum rules..lol...
    Your physical appearance doesn't matter. You easily can choose another Avatar!
    Some people say it's not good for humans to focus on virtual Internet reality.
    And to lose focus on real life instead of. Some say they try to get around responsibilities of real life......
    IMO that's only because the humankind is not enough familiar yet with Internet identity.

The Internet is just another world with other rules. Your dreamworld when you are dreaming as well. It's just another world with other rules. You also are changing your Avatar there.
    People use to say, that the condition when you are awake is your real world.
    Dream is not real, also playing a role at the Internet is not real...
    But nobody can proof that. There is no way to evidence.

It is an requirement of the ego to have an Avatar. That's the reason why you were born. You also have to learn that the time will come when you have to choose another one. As long as you are choosing, you'll be a part of The Wheel of Life.

my 2 cents..:)

14. livinginswva

livinginswva MDL Member

Sep 5, 2010
    my name relates to the area in which i live. I live in southwest virginia, usa. I used to use this in yahoo chat years ago.

15. pkaji123

pkaji123 MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2009
    @Yen Do you know sanskrit??
    Also If you have any doubts regarding Hindu Religion,feel free to get knowledge from me.
    I know it little,I like reading Hindu epics like Ramayana and Mahabharata,They are really interesting.
    If you get time Visit Kerala state in India,Which is known as "GOD's Own Country",we have some good culture and tradition when compared to countries.

16. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    my name is because i am good at games,,haha

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Thanks for your offer.
    I have seen on stage a part of the Ramayana in Yogyakarta (on Java) and I have (tried) to read / understand the Bagawad Gita.
    I cannot read sanskrit letters, but I know some meanings when learning about Raja Yoga.

I have also chosen Usernames of sanskrit language already:
    -Vaira-Vajra = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vajra.jpg
    -Nirodha = Extinction
    and
    -Agnoia (not sanskrit but Greek)= total absence of learned knowledge = pure wisdom...

I like that. :)

I also like the phrase:
    "Tat Tvam Asi"

18. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Oh Yen, u r genius!!!!

I also invite u in West Bengal [my state], if u will ever come in India......

19. and your Biography is absolutely true ;)
    I was born, now I live until I die.

20. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Well when i first signed up i used my old name from when i use to code programs - Arazel. Had asked ancestor(v) to change it to what it is now for a simple reason. Free Forum of Free People helping one another to advance there knowledge. Besides, i stopped coding so it was only right to drop the nick :D.

Avatar - I like cats and thought it was funny seeing a cat holding a rubic cube saying omg wtf :D