Will the spider have dinner?

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Yen, Jul 24, 2012.

1. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    hm..thanks..
    neat drawing too..
    is that mspaint or real software?
    got another quiet nightshift ahead of me
    to chew on it, after the hungarian grand prix..
    my first thoughts; that`s as far as i got,
    untill i realised that mr spider is walking up
    walls with the same aplomp as i walk down floors..
    the way you drew it, a cube can be constructed too..
    but mr spider is not walking straight lines..
    he is basically doing in three dimensions what we
    do in two..and i remain convinced that he will
    have dinner, in this wicked old world..
    what i tried to show in my sloppy drawing was,
    that he cuts the corners by using just a tiny part
    of each of the planes in the cube..
    it will be amended after the next night shift, if
    all remains quiet, but this is basically the idea;
    from one part of the green line he ends up in a
    plane that does not necessary look adjacent to
    two dimensional creatures like you and me..
    to be continued..

dinner4.jpg

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I get the feeling a solution will be posted soon.....:thumbsup:.....but watch out, once I have created a pattern of walls with a very short way. As I wanted 'to put the room together' I had to notice that I did a mistake, lol.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #23 Stannieman, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
    If the fly falls asleep, does it fall down? :p

EDIT: Or the spider goes up, over the ceiling until right above the fly (5.70m) and fall down on the fly? I guess that's not allowed + 30cm left is too much left (as you said there's only a small margin).

4. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    What if birds aren't singing, they're just screaming because they're scared of heights? :D

5. half Man Half Biscuit

half Man Half Biscuit MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2011
    OMG Yen posted this 1 week ago,nobody came with a answer till now,so probably the spider is already DEAD :eek:,he didn´t eat for full 7 days :( (poor guy)

To the fly :fuyou31: :biggrin:

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes it's not allowed, the spider has to walk any time.
    Well, the question is: Do flies sleep at all? Yes they do.

In Time magazine, Mar 12, 2000: "Writing in the current issue of Science, the researchers report that the flies are somnolent mainly at night and active during daylight hours: that elderly (33-day-old) flies sleep less and more erratically than younger ones; that fruit flies deprived of sleep must nap longer to recover; that caffeine keeps them awake, and antihistamines make them drowsy."

They sing on the ground as well, it can't be the height :rofl:, so they probably just sing to entertain you. :D

My spider got the fly already. :D

7. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #27 Myrrh, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
    Assuming our intelligent spider fully understands Pythagoras (and my math is correct), he murdered and devoured the sentient fly, after running 595.399 cm at a speed of 3.333 cm per second for 2 minutes 58.62 seconds - a full 1.38 seconds before the fly's alarm clock went off.

spider-fly.jpg

This was a fun exercise. I did the diagram in MS-Paint.

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Myrrh --->:applause:<--- Myrrh
    You've got it. My respect.

One known side, the adjacent: 0.2+4+1 meters
    The other, opposite side: 1+2.5-0.6 meters
    And according to Pythagoras the missing longest side, the hypotenuse is: 5.954 meters.

The spider has to travel diagonally up to the (left or right, drawn is the left way) edge at ~1 meter height, then diaginally up to the ceiling along the wide side (he will reach the ceiling at ~2.5 meters room length), then diagonally along the ceiling and diagonally down to the fly.

The fly miscalculated it by 1.38 seconds and becomes dinner. The spider reaches the fly after 178.62 seconds. (2 minutes 58.62 seconds). There are 2 different ways (mirror-inverted), which have the same length, the way left around is drawn.

9. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Thanks for that. We all know the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, in this case a straight line has three turns.

10. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    very neat, myrrh,
    and a very clear explanation too..
    my compliments!