Win7 32bit but bootable in old AS Rock motherboard (like Hiren Boot DVD is)?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gorski, Mar 30, 2014.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #21 gorski, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    (OP)
    Damn, again, having booted, partitioned the HDD - when it comes to formatting the HDD it says: Error code 0x80070057

So, I must try to rebuild the MBR (which one of the pieces of SW - I think, looking back - offered to delete, as just another partition and soooo....:eek: one might have...:moon: inadvertently... :rolleyes::biggrin: plus properly aligning the partitions etc. (better to do it by Win7?)

Paragon bootable HDD Manager 14 and we'll see...

LATER: Nope, it didn't work, ERROR CODE 5... again!

So, let's try to burn that image with the boot file from Vista, hehe... :D

It's seen as bootable and it's attempting to boot from it but..... nothing happening.... stuck...

Echhh... my luck...

Must return the old HDD, install some of these proggies for partitioning etc. and then take out the DVDs and plug in the new HDD, try to sort out the MBR and align the partitions etc.

Wish me luck...

EDIT: HDD Regenerator stops working after a while, sytating that the "HDD is not ready!"

Also, "If your SATA controller works in AHCI mode, change it to compatible IDE mode (in the system BIOS)". WTF?

My situation is the opposite: I have IDE motherboard, but I am plugging into it a SATA HDD, using an adaptor, otherwise working fine but here... GRRRRR!!!

Anyone knowing anything about this, please?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yes I have. No, not the same for all users (the error, as you can read...).

No, they don't work. Sometimes it can't load, even...

It may well be a combination of factors...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Probably an odd question: Have you deleted ALL the partitions (HDD is then shown like 'new') and then re-partitioned the HDD @win7 setup..this will write a new MBR for sure and writes the hidden partition.

5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I always do that.

However, the error remains...:wacko:

I am waiting for a PCI card to connect the SATA HDD to an old motherboard without the SATA/IDE adapter...

6. Kamar

Kamar MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2009
    #26 Kamar, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    I have a Boot Image file which I extracted and have used to make boot able dvd's with Image Burn about 4 KB .

So far I have up loaded any thing and don't know how. This is first try , zipped BOOT.ima with rar and used as attachment . I too have a asrock motherboard , just replaced my giga
    P965 with Asrock G41M-VS3 R2.0 .

I have used it for Boot able dvd's hut nit needed for Boo able USB. Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    So you say this SATA HDD never ran with this old board before??....didin't know that, yes here it could be an adapter / controller issue.....btw what mainboard model is it exactly?

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I know that Yen!~

My post was just about the misspelling and the differences between those kind of drives.

And just to note: AFAIK there only SATA1 PCI controllers available with both IDE and SATA1 connectors and those could be used as either SATA1 or IDE but on the same time! I still have several in use of them in a few older machines which didn't have PCI-Express ports. Those PCI-Express SATA Controlers are SATA2 (and newer SATA3) only, no more IDE. What I just wrote applies for the avaibility in Thailand, don 't know in other countries!

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    P, there is no misspelling: SATA/IDE, as you can see from the context quite clearly ia but an adapter. Not "motherboard without either SATA or IDE ports"...

Also, you can see quite clearly from previous posts I know what's what, thank you very much...

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    There is a huge amount of struggle with this, from the booting (can't be seen [the SATA HDD connected via SATA/IDE adaptor] by the old BIOS [ASRock K7S8X MOTHERBOARD, with the latest BIOS 2.60] - not that easily, it's hit and miss, many more misses and even then, the OS has to successfully boot, too...), to starting any of the 3 OS's I have on the old PATA HDD, to seeing the SATA HDD from either XP or Win7 (Ubuntu now doesn't wanna start, even)...

But with nerves of steel, I managed to get Win7 going, after the SATA HDD has finally been seen by the BIOS and then even install EaseUS Partition Master app and get it going, from some 3rd/4th attempt...

It has now repaired MBR (for Win7, I chose - barely, as it had to reboot for it...), deleted all the partitions and it is now creating and formatting some partitions (where XP and Win7 installation disks failed...

The first 100GB partition just suddenly appeared out of thin air, without PM showing any sign of activity up until that point (Win7 popup warned me - I told you nerves of steel are absolutely a must!)...

But until I see it successfully finished - I will not start hoping this will be possible to achieve with the HW "as is", heh...

P.S. I unplugged my DVDs to accommodate both HDDs at the same time, installed the app from a USB stick...

P.P.S. Btw, Ubuntu 9.10 and 12.04.4, plus Mint 15 Cinnamon have all failed miserably to show up on the screen, once they start the procedure, which is a first for me - black screen, after a few initial screens and one can't see anything from then on... Any other suggestions, guys? I think I have Ubuntu 9.04 on the old HDD. That worked better than Win7, since for some HW I had drivers for Win7 are non-existent and Linux sorted it out...

==============================================

EDIT

YEAY, done!!!! JUST SEEN IT!!!!

But can I install W7 with this HW now?

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor, 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit), 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit), DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver...AFAIK are minimum requirements..

14. FlashHurricane

FlashHurricane MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2014
    check your boot options and sometimes the motherboard doesn't show usb removable disk so check the motherboard settings and activate booting from removable disk

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yes, of course, I did all that - but it's still hit and miss...

Yen, 32b system (motherboard/chipset), 2.6GHz AMD processor, 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD (PATA) or 1TB (newer SATA), GeForce 6200 nVidia (256MB RAM), Audigy Ex sound card...

16. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #36 gorski, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    (OP)
    Ahhhhhhhhh, f...........

Now, the Win7 installation is asking for a WD HDD driver, as if it can't see the drive, even though the BIOS recognised it...

Jeez, this never ends.... :(:mad:

EDIT

Reboot and it can see it... But as temperamental as it is - let's see if it can go the distance...

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  18. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Bios will see drive it i,e, hardware is windows than cannot it dosn't have drivers two different things :rolleyes:

19. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #39 gorski, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    (OP)
  20. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    ...if somebody knowledgeable could incorporate drivers for the the darn PCI card into the BIOS...

I'd be singing high praises and ditirambs to such an IT God... :D :D :D