Windows 10 Covering all ACTIVATION Processes and Checking/ B/U ADDED

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by odiebugs1, Aug 25, 2015.

1. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #41 T-S, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    I had a strange experience.

Upgraded from win8.1WMC to a regular Win 10 pro, windows activated flawlessly, and I didn't check what slmgr /dlv was saying.

Then I noticed that the system, altough working flawlessly for most part, did reboot suddenly choosing to log off.

So, instead of trying to fix the problem, i decided to do an almost fresh installation: I reinstalled win 10 keeping just the personal files.

This time I used an ISO made by me which is a sort of "PRO LTSB": it's a Pro, but with no "square apps" other than edge, and with all the packages about telemetry, one drive, home group, cortana, search 2 and so on... removed.

It didn't activate. :mad:

So, given I had not backuped the genuine ticket xml, I tried to copy the token.dat from windows.old to the new location.

It worked!!! :tasty:

and after a reboot windows was activated.

Checked the activation with slmgr /dlv and it confirms the activation, but it tells the channel is Volume_MAK

Is that normal? o_O

I never used a MAK key in my life...

2. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    If the activation from win 8.1 was a VL or Mak, then it would just make any 10 same. We have seen VL activated and switched to retail and it worked.

3. myabc

myabc MDL Member

Apr 19, 2014
    hello. thank to this post i installed win 8.1 and activated with kms. then i upgraded to win 10 and now, even if i reinstall from dvd (clean installation) i am activated without kms!!!! tha answer now is: can i install celeaned windows 10 insider preview and be always activated or in insider version i lose activatios?

and if i lose activation, when reinstall windows 10 clean rtm, i find again activation or i lose for ever? thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    I would use KMS if you try preview. They have deactivated the preview keys so not sure if you install if it will activate, but not a good idea to have windows contact it's server for both unless you are a insider so that is why I suggest KMS, then if you go back to RTM you can let it activate with server.

5. myabc

myabc MDL Member

Apr 19, 2014
    so, if i install a preview have to access from local account? not microsoft? thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Here's what happened to my Activated Windows 10 Pro System :

1) Made a Backup Image of Existing Windows 8.1 Pro with WMC OS.
    2) Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and it got Activated.
    3) Clean Installed Windows 10 Pro and It was Activated.
    4) Restored the Backed Up Image of Windows 8.1 Pro with WMC and it was still Activated.
    5) Clean Installed Windows 10 Pro Many times and It was still Activated each time.
    6) Clean Installed Windows 8.1 Pro with WMC with Integrated Updates and Activation Tokens and Key.
    7) But the Windows 8.1 Pro with WMC OS was not Activated on first Boot and so connected to Internet and It was Activated.
    8) Today Clean Installed Windows 10 Pro and connected to Internet.
    9) But the Windows 10 Pro OS was Not Activated.
    10) Tried to Activate from System Properties and it showed "This Product Key Doesn't Work.

So, Do I need to Upgrade again from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 ?Will it Work ??

7. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #47 odiebugs1, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    (OP)
    Yes, but. You might need to install 8 again, make sure it's activated, then follow the upgrade problem 1aa I listed, then you won't need to upgrade and can clean install.

But how about you try removing the product key which is generic and wait and see if windows activates after going to windows store or running win update.

Remove key - Open a command prompt as an Administrator. Enter slmgr /upk and wait for this to complete. This will uninstall the current product key from Windows and put it into an unlicensed state. Enter slmgr /cpky and wait for this to complete. This will remove the product key from the registry if it's still there, and then Enter slmgr /rearm and wait for this to complete. This is to reset the Windows activation timers.

Weird you asking me this, I just realized you made toolkit, you're amazing.

8. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Yes i have done the ToolKit but that only deals with pre-activation But i was asking whether the retail wmc key got blocked or will it be able to upgrade to Windows 10 again.

Since i did read somewhere here that once you upgrade to Windows 10 the old retail key gets blocked and cannot be used again.

9. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Honestly I can't be positive. If you keep windows for over a month, it eats your old key, from what MS said.

If you haven't had 10 installed for over a month then you should be able to reactivate it, and then get 10.

You have a B/U of 8.1, so I can't say if in time you went back if windows would block key and stop updates. Sorry I can't test this situation.

10. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #50 T-S, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015

Which is, more or less, BS marketing.

Unless you have reinstalled and inserted the sticker key manually that key was never really used.

11. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Thanks T-S. I just can't tell someone that next year they can reinstall their B/U of 8.1 and it will stay activated.

If it doesn't I would feel responsible. If I can't prove something, I try to avoid giving any confirmation.

12. tinybutstrong

tinybutstrong MDL Junior Member

Sep 11, 2010
    What's are the steps to get activation to work from Win7 to 10? I installed Win7 ultimate, activated it using Daz loader and confirmed online by M$ genuine tool, so upgraded to Win10 Pro using the Media Creator Tool. System still activated at this point. So I just inserted a fresh ssd and tried to install Win10 from scratch, but now it asks for the key. Internet connection is active all the time.

13. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    It always does, you must use the skip button and DON'T add any key.

Why would you activate on a different SSD or HDD and then switch even though it will work ?.

14. Oishikatta

Oishikatta MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2015
    My windows 10 pro (upgraded from 7 ultimate w/daz, activated 10 pro, then did clean install a month or so ago) was activated but is now suddenly not activated/"The activation server has determined the specified product key has been blocked". Didn't enter a key when installing 10 so it has the *-3V66T key.

Is anyone else getting this?

Also possibly related... my update history now shows "No updates have been installed yet", and no updates available; but it's been installing updates regularly and previously had history. Have not done any system restore/etc.

15. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I have also got the same error from last week.
    Prior to this, on genuine 8.1, could upgrade and clean install, both activated.
    Now clean install throws this error.
    The difference from what I see is the new update 3095020. Could this be causing some problems.
    Will try ticket solution and if not contact MS.

16. Goingoin

Goingoin MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2015
    Hello,

I test an installation of Windows 8.1 (from GHOST) i activate it and save the .xml (genuine).
    I put a ghost of windows 10 installation and i put the .xml on good folder

I test this :
    If you activate windows 7, 8.1. Copy gatherosstate.exe from a Windows 10 10240 ISO, Sources folder.
    Run it on your Windows 7, 8.1
    It'll output GenuineTicket.xml go to C:\programdata\microsoft\windows\clipsvc\genuineticket\ and save the genuine ticket.
    Now you can clean install Windows 10, with ""internet disabled"", and not upgrade, and add the genuine ticket back to -C:\programdata\microsoft\windows\clipsvc\genuineticket\ inside win 10, Reboot, enable internet, and wait for activation.

BUT NOT WORK

17. hellosky

hellosky MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Will Windows 10 continue to use SLIC 3.0 for OEM activation? Couldn't find anything on this.

18. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Try using a ISO from MS with media creation tool and not a ghosted copy.