Windows 10 is free for life?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Ganoo, Mar 24, 2015.

1. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Exactly!!
    The trick here is the life time of the device. That would be your computer or Windows phone. The operating system is not a device!!

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    One can presume that M$ uses their 'change rates'. If 'too much' of the hardware has changed, it triggers reactivation...depending on type of license.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    The MS agent that supported us was always very clear on this.
    Changing 'Components' is allowed and it triggers re-activation.
    Changing the 'MoBo' means its a different device and it depends on which type and version of Windows your using as to what that means. For OEM it means a new licence, for Retail it depends on your countries trading rules.

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Nice story but I have been beta testing windows over many years never got anything for free :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Why are people compelled to post old news in new threads?

6. lucidus

lucidus MDL Member

Mar 18, 2015
    It will be awesome if we actually get licenses for 10 because we participated in the technical preview. I'll still wait for a full press release. Dunno how many asterisks are after that headline.

7. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    This hit the newspapers 5-6 hours ago, so it's fresh

8. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    I have the same story BUT I always got RTM through TechNet. They sent me DVD's in the mail.

9. elzna

elzna MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2013
    please close topic

10. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Never mind that I heard this days ago, This should have gone in the discussion thread.

11. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    microsoft has said many times that win 10 will be free for the life of the machine for anyone with 7,8,8.1,if they upgrade in the first year,not just insiders.

12. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    this is really old news
    they always made a difference between "free upgrade" and "free activation".
    yes you can upgrade for free, even on pirated windows, but that doesn't mean you'll get a free license

13. TeamCanada

TeamCanada MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2009
    #75 TeamCanada, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
    If you rea the "twitter post with the replies" after Gabriel Aul first post of yes....on post 12 he clearly states "Gabriel Aul ‏@GabeAul · 7h7 hours ago
    @DirtyWindows_ @tao_huan You'll have to be upgrading from a system with a valid license for 7 or 8.x"

14. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Some people simply read what they want to HEAR, not what was actually said.... or at least the Clarification of what He thought he said....
    Windows 8.1 was Free if you had Windows 8. and the KEY for Windows 8.1 is not the same as Keys for Windows 8.0, and Yes for Windows 7 they want to 100% get rid of that.
    and FOLKS not every Windows 8 OEM machine will UPGRADE to Windows 8.1. and NOT EVERY VERSION of Legit or Genuine Windows 8.1 will get FREE...

15. ah-le-le

ah-le-le MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    As I said in the other thread, Aul was not talking about free Windows 10 RTM for Windows Insiders.

He was talking about Windows Insiders being able to do an inplace upgrade to Windows 10 RTM. What happened was websites (Windows Central mainly) did not read the tweet in proper context. That is what happens when Thurrott is not here. All hell breaks loose.

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Forums, like MDL, are places for to spread rumors! Even if rumors having some valid point's, which they have all times, didn't means that it will be as the rumors are telling! All those info's coming with rumors, even if it's from the 'Horse's mouth, have to be taken with caution.

Even if people like Gabriel Aul spreading words about Windows 10, didn't means all of those comments would be true and correct. Fact is, GA has to tell what his employer is telling him to spread around, true or not true!

Think about what will be the outcome if you tell to someone: "hey, I saw an Mini Elephant with an needle stick in his leg! Just keep that secret because of Animal Rights!"? After a short time you'll hear a lot different 'stories' which are have nothing to do anymore with the initial one you told to someone!
    Same would and is regarding Windows 10 and if you take the time to read all those comments on MDL Forums about the "FREE" Windows 10, incl. the "FREE" Licenses for to upgrade even pirated versions of W7/W8.x, you'll see that. Some members were warning about those outcome, most just jumped on that rumor wagon and 'extended' what originally were said!

It's just human nature for to do that! Many do just for not to stay outside of the mass, while others do it for to 'polish' their name and knowledge or whatsoever! Objectivity is something which is hardly to find on public forums like MDL, with some exceptions. Also, we should never forget, in the Cyber World of the Internet, were anonymity is used for to spread what ever is possible, special when it came to the so called Public Forums, the amount of true and correct informations, taken all comments in account, is very low!

Back to topic, Microsoft will release the true and correct infos about the way how Windows 10 licensing will be done not before RTM to the Public, doesn't matter what will be published on the Bolg's!

For my own, I read what is published, take anything of those with an pinch of salt and forget it till the time is come that the new regulations are finalized by those who have he power for to do that, in this case: Microsoft!

17. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    @pisthai, when GaAu said "yes" to that tweet, he was basically correct, for win8.1 and before, people had to pay something to get the official RTM image from MS, either MSDN, technet, retail, or whatever. :D

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Point is: On the end of the day will be said what it will be! And that doesn't matter whatsoever were talked upfront in any Blog, Forum etc.! And that's simply the only facts which will be counting!