Windows 10 Update Disabler

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by Painter7, Nov 30, 2016.

1. cyberloner

cyberloner MDL Member

Sep 19, 2009
    #41 cyberloner, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. jmdbox

jmdbox MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2015
    So basically, this tool just stops windows automatically updating stuff, also disables the auto-updates for windows store-apps?

BUT.... i can still check for updates manually with WUMT tool? I ran WUMT, checked for updates, there was none but i think i am fully up to date anyway. Also i was able to still manually check for and install an update in the App-Store.

So far this seems pretty awesome. :worthy:

3. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ok how do you do it then..I see the code above but how do you implement? Save the code as what?

4. jmdbox

jmdbox MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2015
    #44 jmdbox, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Hey uffbros, weren't you the one earlier that asked about anyone on 14393.970? I am on that version also, and the tool works fine here so far, but i just started using it like an hour ago and was already on .970, Maybe after any major update it needs to be re-applied? I don't see why it would though.

By the way the "code" above, that's just simple batch file code, like .bat or .cmd, simplest way to make a blank text file, then save it then replace .txt with .cmd

EDIT: also wanted to add, wherever you installed it from, it has to be there still. If you delete or move the file "UpdaterDisabler.exe" it will stop working. The service points to where it was setup from. Just realized that myself when inspecting the service.

5. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I have no idea why...But I removed and reinstalled the program before posting the other day and that didn't fix it. I just did same removal/install and now it works again. When I use windows Update it returns a message of "We could not install some updates because the PC was turned off". Thanks.

6. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Code:
    rd "%WinDir%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan" /s /q
    ren "%WinDir%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan.bak" "Schedule Scan"
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan" /Enable

rd "%WinDir%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" /s /q
    ren "%WinDir%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start.bak" "Scheduled Start"
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" /Enable
    Or simply remove both tasks from Task Scheduler, Windows will restore them automatically, thus the reason for creating false tasks to prevent it from doing it.

8. shewolf

shewolf MDL Senior Member

Apr 16, 2015
    #49 shewolf, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    For paranoid users, disable update complete, no extra patches needed anymore.

REVERSE

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Aninvitedsoul

Sep 14, 2012

I'll tell you why I asked for the way to reverse stopping automatic updates.I think it's a rule dealing with changes you do to OSs is to know how to reverse them the same thing as we do a back up of registry before making many changes.Users tend to keep simple patches to accomplish their needs with one click.We all don't have the same level of knowledge and MDL is a trusted source for a lot of people members or guests to learn how to deal with the technology they use everyday. We all bear the responsibility to make things simple and trustworthy.So thank you.I hope I made my point clear.Cheers.​

10. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Update disablers are way cool! I want to keep my OS as unprotected as possible so the latest ransomeware can attack me!

11. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Oh, a snippy bold post ... feeling better now?

Disabling auto-updates doesn't necessarily imply an unprotected system :cool2:.

12. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Nay, not for Paranoid users, but Full Blown Tin Foil Hatter's

13. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    :roll1::rofl:

I sh*t you not. I literally spat out my drinking water reading that. :roflmao:

14. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    You can laugh all you want, but not updating your system leaves it vulnerable to attacks. This is exactly why updates are automatic now. Too many people left their systems not updated, and were infected. Bit you can do as you wish. I will be safe.

15. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I completely agree with you. I just happen to find how you worded your sarcasm to be very humorous.

16. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Does this mean you have Windows Security Center turned off, Oh my, lol :p

17. Aninvitedsoul

Sep 14, 2012
    Security.!! CIA has it all,Vault 7,through our "trusted" OSs manufacturers.! Yet they can't protect their stuff.! Ransomware,stay poor,nobody will care to think about you or even notice you're there.! It's a wonderful world.!

18. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    People, who disable auto-updates, know, why they are doing it. I used Windows without updates, without AV and without a firewall for a year, downloading warez, and it was never infected.

19. Rr0

Rr0 MDL Member

Jul 8, 2017