Windows 10 Update Disabler

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by Painter7, Nov 30, 2016.

1. 300

300 MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2016
    I'm very interested, she might explain how you know you're not infected ?

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    If it is your system, you can tell, when you notice slow downs or network activity. Passive monitoring utilities are way more effective, malware does block them, like Autoruns, Currports, etc.
    Checking a task manager (not that joke made by Microsoft) also gives a hint, like an unknown or an unsigned elevated process, there are not that many fileless malware or rootkits around.

Attached Files:

3. 300

300 MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2016
    #63 300, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    I see you have running Avast service and Windows 10 Firewall Cotrol, a bit contradictory your claim that you do not use any of this. :mad:

Do not try to explain while I do not believe you anymore !! :D

The more you mix the more you smell.:bananajoj2:

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Good eye, that is how you spot malware as well. ;)

Since 1709, Windows Firewall is mandatory, so I have got a bit lenient and I am trying to use some light AV alongside it. If it goes well, I will keep it. Windows 10 Firewall Control uses 0% CPU. :cool:

Attached Files:

5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Yes, agreed. Yet...
    Exactly. My case is when I use Shadow Defender I don't want updates to be downloaded and installed without my control under shadow mode.

6. ddhelmet

ddhelmet MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2017
    I am fine with updates. It used to affect the computer speed and the Internet speed at first but recently I don't even realize if there are updates or not just a minor inconvenience (30-60 seconds usually) sometimes when I restart the computer. I am just curious, what does just disabling the Windows Update service do? I couldn't understand from the first post. One of my friend has disabled the windows update service on his notebook and today he is still on 1607 version. Does it sometimes doesn't work or it still installs some updates?

7. Walker D

Walker D MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2014
    I'm using UpdaterDisabler now, and it disables normal updates properly. But everytime I start Windows, the Windows 10 Update Assistant downloads automatically and starts running ...not sure if UpdaterDisabler should also avoid that though.. Is there something I should do to avoid this from happening all the time?

I don't have the creators update installed (and I don't know if I really should). But I only got UpdaterDisabler in the first place cause in the past my pc tried to install the creators update several times, but failed all of them (it started updating, rebooted the pc some times to finish installation, then it failed installing and had to automatically restore previous installation). I have dual boot (with win7 and win10) so maybe it has something to do with this past issue.. ..probably it has cause, every time this installation process happened, my win7 in the other partition got deactivated (then I had to run DAZ loader there).

maybe too much issues, but if someone can help me with some, I would be thankful

8. zmylzc

zmylzc MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2014
    I used this tooll, but the window update service still automatically turned from "disable" to "Manual" after some time, win 1709

9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    @Painter7

Your solution seems to not work anymore with latest updates on Windows 10.

10. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
  11. BALTAGY

BALTAGY MDL Guide Dog

Dec 23, 2014
    Disabling update service is not a good idea at all, some programs and Visual C++ Redistributable need to install needed updates if it's not installed, so by disabling the update service you will face problems with some programs

With this tool you can keep update service running and that's great

I'm using it on Win10 1709 16299.64 and it's working didn't test it on newer builds, but note that it don't disable languages update for example

Thanks @Painter7 for this great work

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. EXO56

EXO56 MDL Member

Mar 22, 2013
    i always disable windows update service by using any good solution available

Not because i don't want to update my system and not because i'm not aware of all the risks of runing an outdated system, but simply because i want to control the process
    i install all the necessary updates myself, including OS, runtimes, softwares i use and everything that seriousely need to be updated

People block updates to preserve their systems to a working state they believe acceptable for them
    This doesn't mean they will never update it, this only means they want to control the whole process untill updating becomes critical or inevitable

If you think you're safe after installing windows updates or after installing a security program then you're wrong.
    The best protection layer is you!

13. psionx

psionx MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2017
    I like using notepad to hold stuff but it dosn't auto save on shutdown. I'd use another text editor but all I've tested try to keep special formating,images, or use spacing rules. it really is a pain when I make a list of stuff and it ends up getting erased because windows update needed to reboot while I was a sleep or at the store or something. it's also like putting salt in the wound when an update bricks your system and you can't fix it easily because you never got the chance to see which ones were installed.

14. analog_life

analog_life MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2018
    Disable update is for advanced users who are experienced with Windows, are customizing their machines with their preferred settings, are constantly monitoring their machines, and can sense even the slight abnormality from their machines using their skilled experience. It is not for everyone, especially for inexperience users such as those who would simply click on any links they see on emails, websites, etc.

15. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    It doesn't disable a lot of updates. In case you haven't noticed, updates are now being delivered by several services other than the windows update service (wuauserv), so the Update Disabler is obsolete now and needs to be unstickied. It may appear to be working for you, but it's not. You'll find out for yourself if you keep using it.

16. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    I agree, is needs to be unstiked.

17. BALTAGY

BALTAGY MDL Guide Dog

Dec 23, 2014
    All this time after your replay i was trying to find a way to block the update while the update service is running for the store to work, until now i can't find a 100% way

Maybe disabling (UsoSvc,dosvc,bits) and change the service permissions to prevent the system from running them again can make it work ? along with other registry changes for sure

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. bebondi

bebondi MDL Member

Apr 24, 2017
    One question: if i use it, if i change my mind after that i can update Windows later on, IOW the disable process is temporary or final?
    Thanks,

19. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    You can do these things using the script in my signature with the included Configurator.

It's temporary. If you remove the Update Disabler service it's like it was never there and has no effect on the system.

20. DevilBlink

DevilBlink MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2011
    Thanks @Painter7 for your excellent work. This app is the best for PERMANENT DISABLE Windows 10 Automatic Updates.