Windows 10 Upgrade always fails! (Something happened)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Blinky, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Blinky

Blinky MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    #21 Blinky, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    (OP)
    OK I will try this procedure now and let you know!

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You have to be OFFLINE (with the internet connection disabled.). Then copy the ticket to the w10 installation and reboot. THEN go online.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Blinky

Blinky MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    no worries, its a laptop, so unless I input the WEP key of the modem it won't connect in any way :)
    I'll keep you posted, doing the installation right now!

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Thanks.
    I picked this up from Daz yesterday at the chatbox...very curious.:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Blinky

Blinky MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    WOOHOOOO
    It worked!!!!!

Man I feel this is huge! , so many people waste their time going through this stupid upgrade process when it is so easy to go straight to a clean installation! Not to mention battling with the bugs and sometimes without solution (like in my case)
    Now I only have to do another clean install to check if it stores the info online!

6. inet777

inet777 MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    @Blinky - nice job. I have EXACT same "Something happened" problem. I will try it out too.

7. Blinky

Blinky MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    I should add that upon new clean installation unfortunately the activation is not saved in the microsoft server and thus it is not activated and (probably) needs the manual activation again!

One more thing, is that |I have a problem with the wifi card (Intel 4965). The card operates with the initial drivers but after the first wave of upgrades it refuses to start. I thought a new driver is forced by windows update that is incompatible but reality is the driver is the same, so I guess some other update screws the wifi..... any ideas?
    Currently I am trying to restore to before updates and block them all to find out what causes it

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Hi Blinky. :)

So you have tried another clean installation and it did not activate at once again?
    It is an online activation. It should actually work again. Sometimes it does not activate at once, also when going through usual upgrade procedure.

Have you tried while being online: Run CMD as admin type slmgr -ato hit enter and reboot to activate? I am quite convinced it should work..:biggrin:

9. Blinky

Blinky MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    at the moment I am more preoccupied with the wifi problem. If I fix that I will check the activation again.
    It is very weird, on first win10 boot the wifi device works properly and after it installs the first updates and restarts, the device has an exclamation mark in Device manager and says "the device cannot start (error 10)"

The very weird part is that the driver IS THE SAME!!! the updates dont force any new driver on the wifi card so I can't find how to solve it...

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Hmm. that's really weird. Can't you de-install and reinstall the wifi driver manually...maybe another one from your manufacturer?

11. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Might be a bit late here. This is the process I found.
    1) Install 7 and activate.
    2) Do a genuine check online. You can do this by right clicking My Computer > Properties there you should see the big blue Genuine check logo, click it and follow it. You have to do that with IE and it requires you downloading some activex. If you are genuine they will recommend some free software to you.
    3) Now upgrade to the compatible Windows 10 (eg. Home > Home). And do it with the internet connected.

You do not need Windows 7 updates

12. sezz

sezz MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2009
    No hardware change, sorry - I only meant that this procedure saves us the time that is usually required for doing the Inplace Upgrade. (We still have a lot of Windows 8.1 PCs in stock and since most customers want Windows 10 we can skip the upgrade and directly install a clean Windows 10.)

I can test tomorrow if the ticket works an another PC.

It worked while being online when I tested it. Copy ticket, restart ClipCSV, slmgr -ato, done. Ticket file was gone from the GenuineTicked folder and windows activated.

13. Blinky

Blinky MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    I figured out which driver was causing the Wifi problem (some weird Ricoh SD card reader lol, disabled it with ease) and because of several re-installs I found out that the activation DOES work as it should (I mean without having to do anything for the subsequent times) BUT for it to work you must go online DURING the installation. (or I guess just be online while installing if wired network)
    I mean, during the installation, when it prompted me to connect to a wifi network, I did and when installation finished I was already activated!
    A couple of times when I didn't do that, I wasn't activated even after several restarts, and in fact, when I went to the activation page it said the key was invalid and I should buy one!

Overall, I think all my problems are shorted by now at last!
    Thanks for everybody's help, and this method of activating straight with a clean install should be made more public! added to a sticky or something...
    I mean, for once, there are tons of people having problems with the upgrade process, and even if not, anyone who knows a thing or two about software shouldnt accept an upgraded OS, so he should do a clean install after the upgrade (so doing the upgrade purely to lock his activation on MS servers). So this method saves lots of time/hassle for that category too as you can go straight for the clean installation!

14. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #35 odiebugs1, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    It has been stickied in the activation thread. Glad this finally worked out for you, if only Microsoft made it this easy instead of putting everyone through an upgrade when it's not truly necessary.

15. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
  16. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015

A simple way other than going to microsoft and downloading the ISO.

In File Explorer go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete everything in it. This removes downloaded updates, and one of these could be corrupt or be causing another problem stopping Windows 10 from downloading.
    Press Win-R to bring up the Run box. In it, type cmd. A command prompt window will appear. Type wuauclt.exe /updatenow and press Enter. This forces Windows Update into action.

17. peter9999

peter9999 MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2008
    I tried this exactly starting with a W7 activated by Loader, but it ends without activation. Trying to activate manually ends with an Errorcode 0xC004C003

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  19. misturx

misturx MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2009
    Wifi acts up because of Windows 10 bugs. I had 10 on my laptop but now I am back on 8.1, until all the bugs get ironed out. It caused my laptop wifi to go bunkers. It kept turning the wifi off and on and would just uninstall the wifi card drivers by itself. Like a ghost in this machine. Crazy!