Windows 10 upgrade is FORCE installing to Win 7/8/8.1 PC's, without user consent!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MysTikAL3, Sep 6, 2015.

1. MysTikAL3

MysTikAL3 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2013
    #1 MysTikAL3, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  2. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    It's not happening on my machines, and won't. Why? Because I have unchecked this optional update, then I right-clicked it and selected "hide this update". But my machines are Windows 7/8.1 Professional. I have no experience with other (Home) versions.

Could be you are correct. Could be 'home' version users aren't experienced/sophisticated enough to hide the update. Again, I don't know.

3. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    That's why before installing any update I search the net to see what is it about, thus I avoid the forced installation of Windows 10 on my machines. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    if they have the nerve to try this on in europe, it may be very expensive for them.i do not believe that the eu will swallow that without handing them a multimilliondollar fine. i disabled automatic updates on my w7home machine ~1 june, so i should be safe.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    MS has a not-so-pretty image in Europe. I don't think they'll try the stunt of forcing Windows 10...

6. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    On the other, no one in Europe really seems to care (Swiss maybe) and they just bend down to company policies and acting... I wouldn't wonder if this works there as well, just enforcing updates and no authority steps up to it.

7. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    hm. i care...i can only hope that you are wrong. lots of government and company employees are still using w7 lappies..
    and i cannot see governments or company ceo`s being amused if m$ can read their emails... :g:

8. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    After the "NSA spying on Angela Merkel" scandal, I'm pretty sure that everyone is having second thoughts about this Windows 10...

9. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    With "no one" I thought more of officials and authorities, rather than individuals (who, in fact, do care).

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I can confirm myself on w7 ultimate. I had hidden this update (KB3035583) as you did. And it has been reinstalled 2 TIMES anyway!!!!
    I have been quick enough to remove it again and have hidden it again. A few weeks later it has been installed anyway. The same happened one more time, then I had enough.
    I also have hidden those telemetry related KBs.
    Not sure if they would have enforced to install w10 as next step.

Now WU is completely disabled, I can recommend to do the same. Sadly the only way is to manually check each KB and install selected ones manually.

11. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #11 Nucleus, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    I may be barking up the wrong tree here but I read a post somewhere recently about a similar annoying update (can't recall if it was Win 7 or Win 8.xx and I just can't find the post). The poster kept hiding an update but it kept coming back. The advice was to try and establish if the persistent update isn't already downloaded and awaiting installation is it?

I recall the advice was to clear it or the contents of c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download then run a check for update and re-hide the stubborn one.

As I said I may be barking up the wrong tree but there it is. Looking for the post...

Edit: I PM'd abbodi asking if he knew of a solution to this and linked him to the thread. He's an update whizzkid and "may" know of a method to resolve this.

12. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    #12 abbodi1406, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I never set automatic updates, never well :D
    but anyway, the official way (according to msft) to disable the upgrade and it's notification:
    Admin cmd:
    Code:
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx /v DisableGwx /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /v DisableOSUpgrade /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Reboot
    and it's might be better to delete Download contents:
    Code:
    del /f /s /q c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\*
    rd /s /q C:\$WINDOWS.~BT

13. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Decided to install Windows 7 Home Basic x32 in VMWare Workstation to see if Win 10 did a force installation. It took eleven (that's W10+1) hours to download and install the updates:

176 updates after initial installation
    then 88 updates
    then 3 updates
    then 22 updates
    then 14 updates
    then 1 update

Activated wth DAZ loader. No more updates available. No signs of Windows 10 (yet).

I've been cheated!

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Let this run a few weeks and keep us updated. :D
    BTW: AFAIK M$ can check if it's running/installed on a VM.

15. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Yes, but I don't think it affects upgrades. My W7PRO VM is all set for the upgrade.

16. YukinoAi

YukinoAi MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2015
    So the users reserved an upgrade, set the updates to automatic and now you're complaining that windows tried to update automatically. Wait what? Setting the upgrades to automatic implies consent to update automatically and reserving an OS update on top of that implies consent to upgrade it automatically.

Completely disagree with OP here. If users do not approve of their systems being updated automatically then they shouldn't set the updates to automatic. If the users don't want to upgrade to the new OS then they shouldn't reserve an upgrade for it. Seriously. What's the point of setting things to automatic if you don't want them to be automatic? It seems like those users plenty of time to backup their data between the reservation and the update.

From what it looks like, the failed upgrade didn't even touch their data so it didn't seriously inconvenience them either. The screw up here isn't the implied consent that the users did give, it's that MS messed up the upgrade. There weren't enough checks on the hardware/software configuration to accurately predict if the upgrade would work or not and that the windows update process doesn't incorporate heuristic data from previously attempted upgrades.

17. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    let me remind you that updates are set to automatic by ms by default..

18. YukinoAi

YukinoAi MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2015
    #18 YukinoAi, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    And the Upgrade process is OptIn, which is what the OP's post is about.

Edit: And actually...Here's a screen from Win7's OOBE just after the User account creation screen and before the desktop. In Win7 the user must explicitly decide how to handle updates initially.
    win7oobe.jpg

19. MysTikAL3

MysTikAL3 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2013
  20. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    even your arguments, irrefutable as they are, will generate more of the same..

thinly disguised w10 marketing talk..;)