Windows 11 Tweaks, Fixes and Modifications [Overview]

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by Enthousiast, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Shortyportuguese

Shortyportuguese MDL Senior Member

Apr 3, 2019
  2. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Recycle Bin - remove Pin to.reg
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Recycle Bin - remove Pin to entries - by AveYo

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\pintohome]
    "AppliesTo"="NOT System.ParsingName:=\"::{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\""
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\PintoStartScreen]
    @="{470C0EBD-5D73-4d58-9CED-E91E22E23282}"
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\PintoStartScreen]

; to undo, uncomment these:

;[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\pintohome]
    ;"AppliesTo"=-
    ;[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\PintoStartScreen]
    ;@="{470C0EBD-5D73-4d58-9CED-E91E22E23282}"
    ;[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\PintoStartScreen]

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp MDL Addicted

Jan 19, 2017
    Thanks for this. Can we remove Create Shortcut from Recycle Bin's legacy context menus as well?

4. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #1125 AveYo, May 8, 2022
    Last edited: May 8, 2022
    edit: can't trivially remove it, but can disable it
    Recycle Bin - disable Create shortcut.reg
    Code:

; Recycle Bin - disable Create shortcut (can't trivially remove it) - by AveYo

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\link]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\link]
    "MuiVerb"="@shell32.dll,-31333"
    "AppliesTo"="System.ParsingName:=\"::{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\""
    "CommandStateHandler"="{E9571AB2-AD92-4ec6-8924-4E5AD33790F5}"

; to undo, uncomment line below
    ;[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\link]

getting a more precise mouse and a bigger screen also works to not misclick it ;)

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp MDL Addicted

Jan 19, 2017
    I want to completely remove it. Maybe edit .mui or .manifest file?

6. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Knock yourself out.
    I find that step (hex edit resources) too far towards a can of worms. Best I can personally offer is above, edited to at least be disabled = grayed out.

7. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    I use this reg for remove it (I used it with W10, maybe things to change with W11)

Code:
    ;Remove Pin To...
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{90AA3A4E-1CBA-4233-B8BB-535773D48449}]
    @="Taskband Pin"
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}]
    @="Start Menu Pin"
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}]
    @="Start Menu Pin"
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c9}]
    @="StartIsBack Menu Pin"
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\PintoStartScreen]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\pintohome]
    ;Do not pin taskbar
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer]
    "NoPinningToTaskbar"=dword:00000001

8. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Who would want the Pin To capability nuked everywhere? Is the 11 UI not s**tty enough as it is?
    This is about finesse. Removing such entries from a specific contextmenu (Recycle Bin) while leaving them working in the other context menus..

9. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    I never use "Pin To" :p:D

10. KedarWolf

KedarWolf MDL Addicted

Mar 17, 2016
    In Win 11 I pin to start menu and taskbar all the time. Nice to have all your main apps one click from taskbar and you can even edit the shortcut to Run As Admin on start. :)

11. Suzerain

Suzerain MDL Junior Member

Dec 13, 2012
    I would like to have the 'Edit with Notepad++' in the context menu when right-clicking instead of having to click 'Show More Options' and then having the 2nd menu show that option. I saw some rudimentary "guides" online but none of them works! Just want that option on the right-click menu - how do I do that?

12. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    You must request Notepad++ developers to update their shell extension for Windows 11 context menu compatibility.
    Mean time, you can use my original hijack-back trick:
    Edit with Notepad++ in Windows 11 contextmenu.reg
    Code:

; Edit with Notepad++ in Windows 11 contextmenu - by AveYo
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\*\shell\extract]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\*\shell\extract]
    "MuiVerb"="Edit with &Notepad++"
    "Icon"="C:\\Program Files\\Notepad++\\notepad++.exe,0"
    "MultiSelectModel"="Player"
    "NeverDefault"=""
    "AppliesTo"="NOT .zip"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\*\shell\extract\command]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Notepad++\\notepad++.exe\" \"%L\""

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ANotepad++64]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ANotepad++64]

(assuming default Notepad++ install, if you've used another path, adjust the reg script)

Attached Files:

13. bluegrapefruits

bluegrapefruits MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2016
    #1134 bluegrapefruits, May 11, 2022
    Last edited: May 14, 2022
    Hey all, long time lurker. Figured I'd add a tweak in here I've found.

Another Way To Disable Defender (on Windows 11)
    A lot of methods I've tried from this forum and on the internet don't work for me, so here's another one. I haven't found any drawbacks to this method (yet), other than a couple things.

1. Before beginning, make a backup of the permissions - we will be deleting them.
      Code:
      icacls "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform" /save "C:\PlatformPermissions.txt" /t /c

2. Reboot into Safe Mode. This can be done with msconfig.
    3. Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender. Take ownership of the folder using the Properties -> Security -> Advanced dialog - give it to yourself or the "Administrators" group.
    4. Tick "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and "Replace all child object permission entries...", then click each item in the list and press Remove. Once the list is empty, click Apply.
    5. You can now exit Safe Mode with msconfig and you will see that Windows Defender is completely removed from the Windows Security app. The service also does not start.
    There are a couple of drawbacks to this -
    • Downloads in Microsoft Edge fail with "Virus scan failed". You can fix this with the following registry tweak:
      Code:
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]
      "ScanWithAntiVirus"=dword:00000001

• There are some Errors output on boot in the Event Viewer. Not sure if these are fixable.
      Edit: Maybe these could be fixed if the WinDefend service (and related?) are disabled. You won't get a permissions error for opening the service if the service is disabled (maybe? :confused:)
    You can undo the change by booting into Safe Mode again and running the following command, if you kept the backed-up permissions file. You can also change the owner back to "SYSTEM" if you want.
    Code:
    icacls "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /restore "C:\PlatformPermissions.txt"

All these manual steps probably could be replaced with an
    icacls command but I'm too lazy :p

14. KedarWolf

KedarWolf MDL Addicted

Mar 17, 2016
    If you restore a Windows image from a backup program like Macrium Reflect Free, you may start getting explorer.exe unknown hard errors.

This .cmd script uses some known fixes for the issue. Run it as admin, it'll reboot right away to start the chkdsk /b 'NTFS only: Re-evaluates bad clusters on the volume' which helps with the errors.

The two reg editkeys that are deleted, then rebooting can help, and the last two recreating the "explorer.exe" key can help as well.

The others like /RestoreHeath and SFC /scannow are well known.

Code:
    @echo off
    date /t & time /t
    echo ...
    date /t & time /t
    echo Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /Scanhealth
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /Scanhealth
    date /t & time /t
    echo Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    echo ...
    date /t & time /t
    echo SFC /scannow
    SFC /scannow
    date /t & time /t

reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU" /f
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags" /f
    reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon" /v Shell /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon" /v Shell /d "explorer.exe" /f

echo y|chkdsk c: /b

shutdown /r /f /t 0

15. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Seriously, this is great. It is instinctive from years of usage to just right, and click empty bin. Without looking. Now, the bin gets pinned!!! So good to do this. Thanks

16. zbigniew59

zbigniew59 MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2016
  17. boe323

boe323 MDL Expert

Jul 19, 2011
    #1138 boe323, May 21, 2022
    Last edited: May 30, 2022
    Heres a few tweaks for mmagent
    Set-MMAgent -MaxOperationAPIFiles 1024 ...if you have ssd.
    enable-mmagent -pc ..turns on page combining, tiny bit more cpu usage, hardly noticable
    Enable-MMAgent -mc
    Disable-MMAgent -mc use this if you have lots of ram ...honestly though leaving it enabled just seems smoother
    memory usage will drop without loss of performance. Wouldnt advice page combining on low end cpus though, maybe quad core or more is ideal.
    Obviously memory usage will be higher if compression disabled
    Get-MMAgent to check your settings

18. juancito1968

juancito1968 MDL Junior Member

Feb 5, 2013
    #1139 juancito1968, May 22, 2022
    Last edited: May 22, 2022

19. juancito1968

juancito1968 MDL Junior Member

Feb 5, 2013