Windows 7 (Build 6801) Microsofts lack of action

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by LUg, Nov 18, 2008.

1. LUg

LUg MDL Junior Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Curious Microsoft do not seem openly bothered that Windows 7 (Build 6801) has become so widely available online.

Could this be a new relaxed approach to encourage use of development builds ?

Your thoughts

LUg.

2. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    I suspect they are happy the leaks "occured".

If they get a bunch of positive feedback, they know they are on the right track.

If they get a lot of negative feedback........."well, what did you expect?, it is a leaked pre-beta build", and they get their butts back to work.

Very interesting.......and sneaky:cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. datcat

datcat MDL Member

Sep 10, 2008
    With other words: "Creative development"...;)

4. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Maybe it's just my subjective sight...but...

I think times have really changed since Windows XP. You know, first there was DOS, then there was good old 3.11, 95, 98, NT, Millenium, 2000, XP (not necessarily in chronic order)...but after XP things kinda seemed to go a really unstructured and nearly chaotic way.

First, there was Longhorn/Blackcomb (but wasn't, after all), then after a while Vista came (really?), now there is Windows 7 (but not really, somehow...), just after it. And how it seems, Win7 isn't the end. Heard of it being called Windows Bikini - shows, but yet hides the best parts :rolleyes:
    If it's "bikini" then when the heck are we going to see "full body"?
    Windows Vista is on it's way getting a second Windows Millenium. In my eyes, this wasn't necessary.

Please, MS, if you're reading here...how about breaking up with all that crap but developing ONE new OS. Take your time and do good work.
    It's quality that matters, not quantity.

But maybe they're just changing some politics. Maybe not even MS knows :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. datcat

datcat MDL Member

Sep 10, 2008
    "Nurturing" M$ keep us so busy that there is NO TIME to install competition!!

...as I wrote in a post (that could be moved to the new section)...
    "Nurturing" M$ keep us so busy that there is NO TIME to install competition!! :D

6. davehc

davehc MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2008
    Just a thought. I have some strong views regarding /. Is it a rewrite or, as is being said, SP3, or what Vista should have been, or is(after customisation by knowledgeable users) - I support the latter at the moment.
    But, with the immense worldwide staff MS employ. What would it take to set up a small section of people who register on as many known help sites as they can find, and say favourable things about 7. ??
    Just a thought.

7. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Does MS care about a dev build being leaked? Yes and no, they care that it got leaked because it is an internal build that was not meant to go out to the masses. Are they as concerned as they would be with say an RTM build being released? No, they are not because this build is not even feature complete and it is time bombed, so they don't care if it gets leaked and used because it is extra press and it will expire anyway so they are in a whatever mode on that.

Windows 7 is to Windows XP as Windows Vista is to Windows 2000. It is as simple as that. Windows 2000 was the first release of the Windows 5 kernel, and brought to the table a whole slew of new things (MMC, WDM Drivers, NTFS 5, Windows Installer), then Windows XP came out and improved on a lot of these things. Now you have Windows Vista which is the first iteration of the Windows 6 kernel, and with that came a whole slew of new things (Windows PE 2.0, HAL Independent Imagaging/Sysprep, WinRM, Hyper-V, MSU update model, DWM, the demise of GDI+, IIS 7, PowerShell), so to say that Windows ME and Windows Vista (or you should say the Windows 6 kernel since both Vista and 2008 are the same platform) are a like is not even close to being accurate. You are basing acceptance of both the OSes as the base of the arugment which you can not do. Sales alone do not make a sucessful product, it is a big part yes, but it is not the end all. If it was not for the technologies that the Windows 6 kernel brings to the table then most of the great products that bring out the best in it would never exist and neither would the basis for Windows 7.

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #8 Yen, Nov 25, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
    I don’t like the politics of M$ since the introduction of online update….

Well, when will be the right time to name the kernel to the next higher version? Will be one byte exchange enough?:D:p

How many percent of code of Vista RTM and current ‘version’ is still original?
    M$ gives the definitions. They are telling to you what’s a new OS!!!
    Do you buy that? I don't buy that.

When will a OS get another OS name? It will be that time when M$ needs more money, that’s all.

Windows Vista = Windows Millennium = OS nobody really needs.
    Vista was released too early. M$ didn’t realise what they’ve announced at the beginning

A new OS brings more money for M$ that’s a fact. The earlier released the more money it will be. Windows 7 will be that what Vista should be (at the best.).

But why should M$ wait for Windows 7 (probably the real Vista)? Let’s make money with a half-backed OS first, releasing updates after updates, nobody is noticing it, a fast 20 Mbit internet connection and zoooomm after a year, one crappy code is replaced by another, which circumvents the problem, but doesn’t really resolve the problem…..getting bigger and bigger, slower and slower, unavoidable waste accumulating on your HDD. (Difficult to notice, since the hardware goes faster and faster, HDDs capacity getting bigger and bigger).

Do you know how many megabytes of update code you’ve downloaded for Vista already?
    How much time have you wasted waiting for its download and installation time?
    Do you call that a new OS, like M$ is doing? IMO this is no NEW OS! It’s a instrument to make money. It won’t change at Windows 7, the only difference will be that, that you can’t use XP anymore that time. M$ will force you to windows 7 since there will be no more drivers available for XP……

But how fast would be a PC with a REAL new OS?

IMO a completely new OS should be developed parallel, like Singularity, they have to push that.

A complete OS should be not much bigger in size than Vista SP1. (I mean the service pack itself)