Windows 7-Hanging Boot

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by simarpreet007, Sep 18, 2009.

1. simarpreet007

simarpreet007 MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Please Make the title as

"Windows 7-Hanging Boot"

Instead Of

"Problems with Slic 2.0-Hanging Boot"

Because i do not have a problem with my SLIC 2.1

tHANKS

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Brandrune

Brandrune MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Ok. Stop using double spaces and use your grammar correctly boy.

3. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    If I understand correctly you are trying to multiboot, are the OS installations on the same disk or are they on different disks? If they are on different physical hard drives then disconnect all of the drives except for the one you want to boot to first. Then concentrate on fixing that by first loading the install DVD and selecting repair and let it run a startup repair.

Make sure the partition you are trying to repair is set as active or "startup repair" may not look for it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. zort

zort MDL Expert

Feb 19, 2008
    If you are multibooting, your Windows installs should be on different partitions or different drives. If you install them on the same partition, files will get mixed up (example: Program Files/Common Files).

If you have a separate hard drive for Win7, I would do what Dolorous Edd said and even go one step further:
    - Copy off any data you want to save that is on the Win7 drive. If you have more than one partition on it, copy off any important data from all partitions.
    - Disconnect all hard drives except for the Win7 drive.
    - Boot off the Win7 DVD and delete the partition(s) on the drive so it is blank
    - Continue installing Win7 fresh

5. simarpreet007

Jun 10, 2009

Hey Dolorous Edd,

I get what are you saying. I've never disconnected an IDE before, should I take out both the power as well as the IDE or taking out just one would do?

And also how to make a Partition or disk 'ACTIVE'?

6. simarpreet007

Jun 10, 2009

Hi zort,

Man I just have two Hard drives with me, one 40GB with two partitions, and another 80 GB with 3 Partitions. 80 GB is the one I am installing Windows 7 on.

I have no other means to backup my data. The data, even if splitted is too much to fit on a single DVD.

Also, what if I post my problem at one of the Microsoft forum, will they respond?

7. zort

zort MDL Expert

Feb 19, 2008
    Can you copy everything that you need to save from the 80GB to the partitions on the 40GB? I can understand if it won't all fit. In that case you may not be able to repartition it.

8. simarpreet007

Jun 10, 2009
    #28 simarpreet007, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    (OP)
    hey zort, what if I do this...

1) remove slic 2.1

2) install windows 7 afresh, on a formatted partition 80GB

3) then see what happens

the last time i removed slic 2.1, i never tried to re-install without slic. may be i'll make through this time.

I'll report the results ASAP.

9. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    I've had this problem before, but after the installation was complete. The animated boot screen would get stuck in the end. I resetted it, and the Windows bootloader would ask me to repair the boot. I did. The repair failed (after a long time) but the boot no linger got stuck.
    I would advise you to try to install Windows 7 through a USB Drive. It's even faster, and you have the bonus of not wasting DVDs.

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    What zort suggested seems right to me.

Talking about your 80GB HDD.
    3 partitions on it, what sizes?
    When you try to reinstall w7 disconnect the other HDD (power plug is enough).
    When you re-flash your original bios, LOAD SETUP / OPTIMISED DEFAULTS save and exit bios setup!

11. ugizz

ugizz MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    my win7 installation wont boot if i leave usb hdd (wd passport) plugged in...
    but no problems vith vista :confused:

12. simarpreet007

Jun 10, 2009
    Hey Yen,

Okie Dokie, this is what i have

three partitions on the 80 gb hdd, each 24gb and one 25gb. I am currently installing on to the 24gb one. I'll try removing the slic tables and then installing without the other HDD, and the re-installing the slic table.

Will post my results soon..

Thank you all at MDL. ! :cool:

13. simarpreet007

Jun 10, 2009
    Yeah ugizz,

someone else also told me about this issue.. Will look forward to any patches and fixes.

14. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #34 Dolorous Edd, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    Sorry it took a while to get back to you. Had to work. If both drives are on the same cable (IDE primary and master) you will need to disconnect the ribbon from the drive you want the computer to ignore and then make sure the single drive jumper is set to Master. Once you have the drive connected and jumperd as master start the computer with the DVD, boot, let it try and do a startup repair, if that doesn't work then on the repair tools you will see a command prompt selection. Open it and type the following.

Diskpart list disk (your disk should be disk 0)

Diskpart select disk 0 (if the drive you wanted was drive 0)

diskpart list partition

(should show the partitions on that drive, note the number beside the partion you want. If it is a single partition it should be 0.)

diskpart select partition 0

diskpart active

If everything went right (and I have the syntax right) you just listed your disks, selected your disk, listed partitions on the selected disk, selected the partition you wanted and then made that partition active. If the partition was already active sending that command again will not hurt anything.

EDIT: Obviously if your drives are on separate cables just disconnect the one cable from the drive (or the mother board if it more accessible, just make sure your grounded to the case before fumbling around the MOBO).

15. simarpreet007

Jun 10, 2009
    I did everything as you said, but my bad luck still prevails.. This did not help.

However now i'll be doing what zort and yen have said, may be their advice will do good..

16. simarpreet007

Jun 10, 2009
    Somewhat Successful

Hey Guys ! I have a good news for you :D

This is what i did after what you all had adviced me.

1) Removed my other HDD
    2) Then tried installing Windows 7

-- Conclusion -- Windows 7 Failed to install, still hung up on 'Starting Windows'

Then somehow it came to my mind that, may be the graphic card (NVIDIA 5200 FX) may be interrupting the installation.

And what i expected turned out to be true. I installed Windows 7 with my onboard Graphic Card, and it successfully installed.

Then When I added my GPU, and restarted again, Windows 7 showed it as new hardware and installed the default VGA Drivers for it.

So now what have is Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 Dual boot.

But the thing that is worrying me is the future reliability of the GPU, it can fail anytime, as it used to before.

Now the next thing that I am searching for is an update to the BIOS of the Nvidia Graphic Card. (NVIDIA GEFORCE 5200 FX), cause that can only assure the successful running of the Windows 7 OS.

But the sad thing is that since my GPU is very old, it's support has been discontinued. So I am unable to find any BIOS updates on the Official NVIdia Website.

People if you have any information regarding the BIOS update to NVIDIA GEFORCE 5200 FX PCI, please post it here or PM me at the earliest.

Also Now I'd like to ask Zort and Yen specifically about the installation of SLIC 2.1, should i install it now, since I dont think there is any problem with the SLIC.

Thank You MDL Residents. !! Have a Happy Life :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Regards,
    Simar :cool:

17. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    I would get a new video card so you won't run into problems in the future. There getting cheaper so now would be the time to buy one. Even can find a 8400 GT for less then $30 now.

18. simarpreet007

Jun 10, 2009

Money is ain't an issue, the bigger problem lies with my motherboard architecture. It has an AGP space vacant but without an AGP connector to connect to. So I had to get an older PCI card like the one I had to satisy my ever growing hunger.

19. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Looks like it's time for a motherboard upgrade.:D

20. zort

zort MDL Expert

Feb 19, 2008
    I'm glad you got Win7 installed Simar! You should update to the modded bios again so you can activate, but there is a chance Win7 will complain since you didn't have SLIC in bios already when you installed it. In that case you might have to install Win7 again after updating the bios!