Windows 7 keeps getting BSOD's

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bowery4, Mar 3, 2014.

1. bowery4

bowery4 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2014
    thanks for the replies found used ram am waiting for it, was a cheaper option.. the drive is returnable. we'lll see what happens. It may be overclocking but CPu motherboard isues are out of my ball park both techinicly and proably money wise. The memory i ordered is the same so if that doesnt work i mybe able to get something for it by selling it to a repairshopslash dealer if i go that route when buying a new one. There areca lot of people on a website called overclockzone that sell parts and fixed ones. I need to buy cheap s possible in anycase. not working and money is low

2. ypvs

ypvs MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2013
    BSOD are most likely the memory. If you have more than one stick then pull one out and run with one. Swap and try again. Can try a basic setup- pull out any extra cards/disable onboards to leave just the cpu, memory and video. Enable one at a time and test

3. bowery4

bowery4 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2014
    I just put in another 2gb stick, same issues. bsods 0x0000000a was first one, switched to old HD slitly different 0x00000008E, took out old hd put in both sticks (4gb might change voltage a bit , no?) same message 08E but different addresses 0xC0000005, Ox8BA77751, 080x86EF968, 0x000000000 (which I assume happened too fast to tell)

hmmm vcore is usually a voltage issue, no? (i have read a bit about overclocking but really know very little). On my laptop, with its Toshbia bios doing anything externally has become rather limiting, there is very little in terms of adjustments and certainly no voltage ones. So basicly I am more or less screwed, is that right
    ?
    Does changing vcaps mean taking out cpu and actually changing it?
    I still cant get past the install, usually crashing before setup on the disc.
    Actually just tried again and got to the install (but crashed at 8% expanding windows) with the sata controller mode set to compatability mode instead od achi mode., Not that that means anything. But in anycase seems i will be looking for a different computer now:wallbash:

4. bowery4

bowery4 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2014
    Now I have been reading about resetting vcore, my bios is insyde h2o, it doesn't have vcore settings listed in it. My laptop is a satelitte L510, I updated the bios around the time I strted having real problems with it. I aam not entirely sure I downloaded the right update (although, I think it was) or that I installed it correctly.

Is it possible I made some sort of mistake and it would slowly degrade? Becoming more and more unstable as it did? Is there a fix for it if that is what happened? At the time I didn't realize there are some seeming differences between an asian L510 and a european one (such as the memory is ddr3 in asian ones ans ddr2 in european ones)but I did get the download from the aussie site (which seemed to be the right one.
    Could i have flashed it wrong or not at all?

Also I did some of the work on this with out a static band on my wrist. I may have even pulled my first hdd with the battery in it. Could that have effed it?

Looking for a new one anyway but I was thinking it be still nice to have this one working at some point. Maybe even being able to fix it with another computer might be a bit of an option then, no?
    Thanks in advance for any replies, been reading and thinking, hate to think i made my computer a paperweight.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bowery4

bowery4 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2014
  7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. bowery4

bowery4 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2014
  9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    During the years I have seen some strange issues one almost can't believe. For instance a PC froze always after 2-3hours....no (over)heating issue....it has been a defective mainboard...on another..w7 installation gave errors and random BSODs..issue: DVD drive....

At all your attempts you have used DVD for installation....just for the logic of troubleshooting if I were you I'd also try an USB flash drive installation.....

I myself can hardly give up until I've found the problem. I also think it is a mainboard issue....but the mainboard has many components...it can be the SATA/AHCI controller (or a particular channel only) who knows...

Sudden BSOD usually is caused due to hardware, mostly RAM, disk error, PSU, mainboard....CPU damage itself is rather seldom and a virus cannot cause a hardware damage.....you have excluded HDD and RAM....next would be disk...

10. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    My very first PC, a 368DX-40, used to froze every three hours: faulty memory. But I don't complain, 'cause I have been forced to learn because of that...

That's why ESD prevention must be taken very seriously. Most of the times, a ESD does not kill a component, but introduces intermitent errors, which is (in my opinion) much worse. The component seems to be working, then it fails, then it works again, then it fails again... A ESD strap is perhaps the best friend of our hardware.

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The odd thing is that it is hard to get evidence that ESD should have damaged hw....or if it is due to low quality...
    Actually ESD is not an issue if one knows how it is created and how it can be neutralized. When you touch the metal casing you have the same electric potential already. Also most sockets are grounded...

ESD becomes an issue when you have low humidity and you walk on a carpet and come back. Just make sure you ground yourself by touching a metal part that is grounded before you touch electronical stuff, very sensitive are grapics cards....best do it in a room where is no carpet on the floor....(tiled)....

I have assembled some PCs already, a short touch on a grounded casing or heating before I have started and it was OK.

After assembing and the PC has run one day you can exclude ESD damange. Mostly RAM (hardware) becomes faulty due to low quality....ESD is a minor issue when it comes to hw damage generally. Sensitive hw is packed in ESD safe materials....

12. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Love the german power grid for having sockets always grounded. Besides that especially in household environments literally everything is grounded :good3:. Touching the heating or my pc case is enough :D.

13. bowery4

bowery4 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2014
    #54 bowery4, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    (OP)
    It is very hot and humid in Thailand where I am right now. I bought a strap after I read a bit about it. I think it is possible that may have caused a problem but was getting bsods a little before hand. Almost all floors here are tiled btw, we have no carpets, even takes a while for static to gather 2hen rubbing a balloon on ones hair. 2 stupid things I did when first getting the bsods was not reading enough about causes, I sort of assumed it was getting hot and dirty in there... we have had constuction going on around our house for almost 3 years (I really need to move). So I opened it and used a paint brush to sweep things out and blew (with my mouth) into the fan and other places I couldn't/didn't want to reach/take apart more. I also took out the hdd with out removing the battery first (I think). From what i have read about ESD issues, that right there could have done it, I'd guess. They also seem to progress, which is hapening...

I am now looking for a used computer, I am hoping I can find a cheap one that I can use my new hdd and hopefully the 2 sticks of memory (if it tests good in the new one). If I can find something and upgrade it that would be good and a bit cheaper, i think.
    I am not sure on my machine I can boot from a usb port (sort of sure that is not in my bios unless somehow I am overlooking it) So the dvd drive might have to be on that list as well. And I was thinking an encloser for my old hdd, so i could make a disc image and back up properly (plus get some stuff off of it in the d drive). None of my externals are right for that (it never worked and I didn't know why, if i remember right they ned to be fat32?). Anyway, I'll keep this thread going as i go along. Thanks again. :)
    Oh and here in thailand there are no grounds, anywhere. It is down right crazy. edited after I saw the last couple of posts. One last thing, please don't start the ESD debate in my thread, seen it on many boards and not why I came here thanks again:cool:

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Windows related drives (HDD/SSD) are usually NTFS formatted.
    To boot from USB you'd have to change USB boot priority to 1, at some BIOSes the option only appears when a USB thumb drive is plugged in already. USB port 1 has also some priority. Best is to format the boot USB drive with FAT32 and to set the primary partition as active, though.

15. bowery4

bowery4 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2014
    by that do you mean it should be the blue highlighted one? Or if it is not what you mean......?
    I am not sure what my ext. hdds are but i don't think they are ntfs, all three have way too much on them, lol.but anyway none of them worked to make a back up before.
    thanks again.

may go buy a new used asus tomorrow. has 320hdd 5400rpm and 3ddr memory 1gb so would be able to upgrade both i think. Although I have a 2 year old with a cold so it might happen either, lol.12am here gotta sleep now, cheers

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ Yen, I did work building computers years back as regards to ESD I also just you to ground my self of a radiator and computer case for example get rid of any static have never used one of those electrostatic wrist bands e.c.t and as you mentioned environment does come into it nylon carpets cause static so never build computer near one of those :D

18. bowery4

bowery4 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2014
    Thanks Yen, very useful info which I no doubtnwould have 2orded wrong in a search.

19. Raigah

Raigah MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2014
    I think I was having that problem too...